Dr. Matulevicius received her B.S.E. (Biomedical & Electrical Engineerig) degree from Duke University in 1998. There she was on the Deans List and Dean List with Distinction for graduate studies from 1994-1998. She graduated Magna Cum Laude with distinction in biomedical engineering. She then received her M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine where she was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Honor Society. From 2002-2005 she served as an Intern and Resident in Internal Medicine at the Hospital University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia (ABIM Certified 2005). She completed her Cardiology Fellowship at UT Southwestern and became board-eligible in 2008. She completed an additional year of Advanced Cardiac Imaging fellowship concentrating on MRI in 2009.She has a research interest in better understanding the relationship between the steady state and pulsatile aspects of afterload in pulmonary hypertension and its effects on the right ventricle. She has a clinical interest in cardiovascular imaging, women's heart disease, coronary artery disease, and general cardiology.
- Medical School
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2002)
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (2005), Internal Medicine
- Parkland Health & Hospital System (2009), Cardiology
- Cardiac MRI
- Cardiovascular physiology
- congestive heart failure
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Right ventricular structure and function
- Potential of Electron Beam Computed Tomography for Coronary Artery Calcium Screening to Evaluate Fatty Liver: Comparison with 1H Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in the Dallas Heart Study.
- Matulevicius, S, Huff, LC, Szczepaniak, LS, Ayers, CR, Budoff, M, McColl, R, Khera, A, Peshock RM. Journal of Investigative Medicine 2011 59 780-786
- Association of Health ABC Heart Failure Score with Cardiac Structural and Functional Abnormalities in Young Individuals
- Gupta S, Berry JD, Ayers, CR, Matulevicius SA, Peshock RM, Patel PC, Markham DW, Drazner MH. Am Heart J 2010 159 5 817-24
- Long-term Outcomes with Ambrisentan Monotherapy in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension.
- Blalock SE, Matulevicius S, Mitchell LC, Reimold S, Warner J, Peshock R, Torres F, Chin KM. Journal of Cardiac Failure 2010 16 2 121-7
- Chapter 26: Diagnosis and Management of Patients with Unstable Angina and Non-ST-Segment-Elevation Myocardial Infarction
- Matulevicius, S, Rohatgi, A, de Lemos, JA. Hurst?s The Heart Manual of Cardiology 2009 12th
- The Association between Plasma Caspase-3, Atherosclerosis, and Vascular Function in the Dallas Heart Study.
- Matulevicius, S, Rohatgi, A, Khera, A, Das, SR, Owens, A, Ayers, C, Timaran, CH, Rosero, EB, Drazner, MH, Peshock, RM, DeLemos, JA. Apoptosis 2008 13 10 1281-1289
- Magnetic Resonance Myocardial Fiber Orientation Mapping with Direct Histological Correlation.
- Hsu, EW, Muzikant, AL, Matulevicius, SA, Penland, RC, Henriquez, CS. American Journal of Physiology 1998 274 H1627-H1634
- Risk scores versus natriuretic peptides for identifying prevalent stage B heart failure.
- Gupta S, Rohatgi A, Ayers CR, Patel PC, Matulevicius SA, Peshock RM, Markham DW, de Lemos JA, Berry JD, Drazner MH Am. Heart J. 2011 May 161 5 923-930.e2
- Association of Health Aging and Body Composition (ABC) Heart Failure score with cardiac structural and functional abnormalities in young individuals.
- Gupta S, Berry JD, Ayers CR, Matulevicius SA, Peshock RM, Patel PC, Markham DW, Drazner MH Am. Heart J. 2010 May 159 5 817-24
- Circulating lymphotoxin beta receptor and atherosclerosis: Observations from the Dallas Heart Study.
- Owens, AW, Matulevicius, S, Rohatgi, A, Ayers, CR, Das, S, Khera, A, McGuire, DK, de Lemos, JA. Atherosclerosis 2010 212 601-606.
- The association between peptidoglycan recognition protein-1 and coronary and peripheral atherosclerosis: Observations from the Dallas Heart study.
- Rohatgi, A, Ayers, C, Khera, A, McGuire, DK, Das, SR, Matulevicius, S, Timaran, CH, Rosero, EB, DeLemos, JA. Atherosclerosis 2009 203 2 569-575
Honors & Awards
- ACCF/GE Healthcare Career Development Awards in Cardiovascular Imaging Technologies
An integrated assessment of right-sided cardiovascular performance in left-sided chronic heart failure (2011)
- AHA Women in Cardiology Trainee
Award for Excellence Recipient (2007)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- TEAGLE Foundation
Merit-based partial academic scholarship for undergraduate and graduate studies (2002)
- Magna Cum Laude
Distinction in biomedical engineering (1998)
- National Science Foundation/Engineering Research Center
Undergraduate Research Fellowship (1998)
- Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) (2010)
- American College of Cardiology (2005)
- American Heart Association