Dr. Van Buren is originally from Houston, Texas. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania and his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center-San Antonio. Dr. Van Buren came to University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center to begin his residency training in Internal Medicine in 2005. Following his residency, he stayed at UT Southwestern for a combined clinical nephrology fellowship and clinical research where he served as chief fellow for 2 years and received an NIH Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award. Dr. Van Buren brings to UT Southwestern a strong clinical background in general nephrology and patient-oriented research. His clinical interests encompass all aspects of the management of patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease, and he has a specialized interest in managing hypertension and diabetic nephropathy. He is currently also conducting original clinical research in hypertensive hemodialysis patients through funding from the National Institute of Health. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his wife Vicky and their son Andrew.
- Diabetic nephropathy
- Hypertension in chronic kidney disease and end stage renal disease
- Intradialytic hypertension
- Potassium handling with dual Renin-Angiotensin system inhibition in diabetic nephropathy.
- Van Buren PN, Adams-Huet B, Nguyen M, Molina C, Toto RD Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2014 Feb 9 2 295-301
- The prevalence of persistent intradialytic hypertension in a hemodialysis population with extended follow-up.
- Van Buren PN, Kim C, Toto RD, Inrig JK Int J Artif Organs 2012 Dec 35 12 1031-8
- Probing the Mechanisms of Intradialytic Hypertension: A Pilot Study Targeting Endothelial Cell Dysfunction.
- Inrig JK, Van Buren P, Kim C, Vongpatanasin W, Povsic TJ, Toto R Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2012 Jun
- Interdialytic ambulatory blood pressure in patients with intradialytic hypertension.
- Van Buren PN, Toto R, Inrig JK Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2012 Jan 21 1 15-23
- Intradialytic hypertension and its association with endothelial cell dysfunction.
- Inrig JK, Van Buren P, Kim C, Vongpatanasin W, Povsic TJ, Toto RD Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011 Aug 6 8 2016-24
- Intradialytic hypertension and the association with interdialytic ambulatory blood pressure.
- Van Buren PN, Kim C, Toto R, Inrig JK Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011 Jul 6 7 1684-91
- Iron overdose: a contributor to adverse outcomes in randomized trials of anemia correction in CKD.
- Van Buren P, Velez RL, Vaziri ND, Zhou XJ International urology and nephrology 2011 Jul
- Hypertension and hemodialysis: pathophysiology and outcomes in adult and pediatric populations.
- Van Buren PN, Inrig JK Pediatric nephrology (Berlin, Germany) 2011 Feb
- Hypertension in diabetic nephropathy: epidemiology, mechanisms, and management.
- Van Buren PN, Toto R Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2011 Jan 18 1 28-41
Hypertension in Chronic Kidney Disease. In Diseases of the Kidney and Urinary Tract, 9th ed.
Van Buren PN and Toto RD (2012). Lippincott, Wilkins, and Wilson
Honors & Awards
- NIH Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23)
- American Heart Association Fellowship to Faculty Transition Award
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- UT Southwestern Clinical and Translational Alliance for Research Clinical Research Scholar
- UT Southwestern Outstanding Clinical/Research Nephrology Fellow
- Nephrology Young Investigator Forum 2nd Prize for Clinical Research Presentation (Southern Society of Clinical Investigation Annual Meeting)
- Selected Participant in National Kidney Foundation Nephrology Young Investigator Forum
- National Kidney Foundation Research Fellowship Grant Award
- NIH Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award
- American Heart Association (2012)
- American Society of Nephrology (2008)
- National Kidney Foundation (2008)