Peter Van Buren, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of the Division of Nephrology. He also serves as chief of the nephrology section at the Dallas VA Medical Center.
Dr. Van Buren’s clinical interests include chronic kidney disease, end-stage renal disease, hypertension, and diabetic nephropathy.
Originally from Houston, Dr. Van Buren holds a bachelor’s degree in the biologic basis of behavior from the University of Pennsylvania, where he graduated cum laude. He received his medical degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio and completed internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern. Following his residency, he stayed at UT Southwestern for a combined clinical nephrology fellowship and clinical research, serving as Chief Fellow for two years and receiving an NIH Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award. He also completed a master’s degree in clinical sciences at UT Southwestern.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and nephrology, he joined the UT Southwestern Faculty in 2012.
Dr. Van Buren’s research focuses on hypertension in hemodialysis patients. His investigations have resulted in more than 20 publications in peer-reviewed journals and contributions to 18 book chapters, reviews, monographs, and editorials. Additionally, he has presented his findings at scientific conferences throughout the United States.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Van Buren is involved in the education of clinical and research students through clinical rotation mentorships and didactic and small-group instruction.
Dr. Van Buren is active in several professional societies, including the American Heart Association, the American Society of Nephrology, and the National Kidney Foundation.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Van Buren enjoys spending time with his wife and their son.
- Diabetic nephropathy
- Hypertension in chronic kidney disease and end stage renal disease
- Intradialytic hypertension
- Potassium handling with dual Renin-Angiotensin system inhibition in diabetic nephropathy.
- Van Buren PN, Adams-Huet B, Nguyen M, Molina C, Toto RD Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2014 Feb 9 2 295-301
- The prevalence of persistent intradialytic hypertension in a hemodialysis population with extended follow-up.
- Van Buren PN, Kim C, Toto RD, Inrig JK Int J Artif Organs 2012 Dec 35 12 1031-8
- Probing the Mechanisms of Intradialytic Hypertension: A Pilot Study Targeting Endothelial Cell Dysfunction.
- Inrig JK, Van Buren P, Kim C, Vongpatanasin W, Povsic TJ, Toto R Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN 2012 Jun
- Interdialytic ambulatory blood pressure in patients with intradialytic hypertension.
- Van Buren PN, Toto R, Inrig JK Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2012 Jan 21 1 15-23
- Intradialytic hypertension and its association with endothelial cell dysfunction.
- Inrig JK, Van Buren P, Kim C, Vongpatanasin W, Povsic TJ, Toto RD Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011 Aug 6 8 2016-24
- Intradialytic hypertension and the association with interdialytic ambulatory blood pressure.
- Van Buren PN, Kim C, Toto R, Inrig JK Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011 Jul 6 7 1684-91
- Iron overdose: a contributor to adverse outcomes in randomized trials of anemia correction in CKD.
- Van Buren P, Velez RL, Vaziri ND, Zhou XJ International urology and nephrology 2011 Jul
- Hypertension and hemodialysis: pathophysiology and outcomes in adult and pediatric populations.
- Van Buren PN, Inrig JK Pediatric nephrology (Berlin, Germany) 2011 Feb
- Hypertension in diabetic nephropathy: epidemiology, mechanisms, and management.
- Van Buren PN, Toto R Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2011 Jan 18 1 28-41
Hypertension in Chronic Kidney Disease. In Diseases of the Kidney and Urinary Tract, 9th ed.
Van Buren PN and Toto RD (2012). Lippincott, Wilkins, and Wilson
Honors & Awards
- NIH Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23)
- American Heart Association Fellowship to Faculty Transition Award
- Dedman Family Scholar in Clinical Care
- UT Southwestern Clinical and Translational Alliance for Research Clinical Research Scholar
- UT Southwestern Outstanding Clinical/Research Nephrology Fellow
- Nephrology Young Investigator Forum 2nd Prize for Clinical Research Presentation (Southern Society of Clinical Investigation Annual Meeting)
- Selected Participant in National Kidney Foundation Nephrology Young Investigator Forum
- National Kidney Foundation Research Fellowship Grant Award
- NIH Ruth Kirschstein National Research Service Award
- American Heart Association (2012)
- American Society of Nephrology (2008)
- National Kidney Foundation (2008)