Susana Lazarte, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine. She specializes in the care and treatment of patients who are living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).
Originally from Peru, Dr. Lazarte earned her medical degree at the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia in Lima. She received internal medicine residency training at UT Southwestern, and then completed advanced training through a fellowship in infectious diseases and a clinical research fellowship in HIV at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri.
Board-certified in Internal Medicine and in Infectious Diseases, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2015.
Dr. Lazarte serves the Texas Department of State Health Services’ HIV Medical Assistance Program as a member of its Medication Advisory Committee, the Formulary Subcommittee, and Governance and Data Subcommittee. She also is a member of the Dallas HIV Task Force executive committee, and co-chairs the LatinX Needs Workgroup.
Dr. Lazarte is active in several professional organizations, including the Infectious Diseases Society of America, which she serves as a member of the Global health Committee Advisory Group, the HIV Medical Association, Ryan White Provider Coalition, Texas Medical Association, and Dallas County Medical Society.
She has delivered numerous presentations and published several academic articles.
- Medical School
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia/Peru (2003)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Internal Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine (2011), Infectious Diseases
- Clinical Research Fellowship
- Washington University School of Medicine (2012), Hiv Clinical Fellowship
- Interpreting CD4 Counts in a Patient With HIV.
- Nath S, Nath S, Lazarte S, JAMA Intern Med 2019 Sep
- Mouse and Human Monoclonal Antibodies Protect against Infection by Multiple Genotypes of Japanese Encephalitis Virus.
- Fernandez E, Kose N, Edeling MA, Adhikari J, Sapparapu G, Lazarte SM, Nelson CA, Govero J, Gross ML, Fremont DH, Crowe JE, Diamond MS MBio 2018 Feb 9 1
- Dallas County Medical Society
- HIV Medical Association
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Ryan White Provider Coalition
- Texas Medical Association