Inspired by books like And the Band Played On and Voices from the Epidemic, Dr. Kitchell moved from central Iowa to the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center to complete an internal medicine residency and infectious disease fellowship. She currently serves as an Associate Professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases.
Most of her time is spent in clinical practice caring for HIV-positive patients and in educational activities for rotating trainees at Parkland Hospital. She is Associate Medical Director of HIV Clinical Services at Amelia Court.
Her research primarily focuses on improving quality of care for patients with HIV, including reducing inpatient readmissions and increasing rates of HIV testing in asymptomatic patients.
- Medical School
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine (2005)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2010), Infectious Diseases
- Determining the prevalence and characteristics of readmissions among HIV-infected inpatients.
- Hepatitis B-HIV Co-infection
- Universal HIV Testing in Asymptomatic Patients
- Central nervous system toxicity associated with ertapenem use.
- Duquaine S, Kitchell E, Tate T, Tannen RC, Wickremasinghe IM Ann Pharmacother 2011 Jan 45 1 e6
- Evaluation and treatment of the patient coinfected with hepatitis B and HIV.
- Kitchell E, Jain MK Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 2008 Aug 5 3 103-11
Treatment of Hepatitis B in HIV-infected Persons. In HIV and Liver Disease
Kitchell E., Jain MK (2011). Springer
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Education Core Clerkship Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (2012)
- Thomas Parsons Award
Award presented to medical student displaying compassion and humanistic ideals during clinical rotations (2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical honor society (2004)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Honors society (2001)
- American Academy of HIV Medicine (2013)
- American College of Physicians (2013)
- Ryan White Medical Providers Coalition (2010)
- HIV Medicine Association (2008)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2008)