Dr Metzger completed a seven-year Bachelor/MD program from UC Riverside and UCLA before completing his residency at Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina. It was during his residency that he became interested in tactical medicine, working with the Durham Police Department SWAT team. He then came to UT Southwestern for the Government Emergency Medical Security Services (GEMSS) fellowship in 2005. After completing his fellowship he became medical director for the Dallas Police Department and continued providing medical support for the Dallas Police SWAT Team. In April 2010 he became a sworn police officer and continues to serve in the Dallas Police Department Reserve Battalion. He also serves as a medical director for the Parkland Emergency Department and the Urgent Care ED and is currently pursuing his MBA through a joint program between UT Southwestern and UT Dallas.
- Medical School
- University of California-Los A (2002)
- Year in review 2011: Critical Care - Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest and trauma.
- Goldberg SA, Metzger JC, Pepe PE Crit Care 2012 Dec 16 6 247
- Excited Delirium Syndrome (ExDS): defining based on a review of the literature.
- Vilke GM, DeBard ML, Chan TC, Ho JD, Dawes DM, Hall C, Curtis MD, Costello MW, Mash DC, Coffman SR, McMullen MJ, Metzger JC, Roberts JR, Sztajnkrcer MD, Henderson SO, Adler J, Czarnecki F, Heck J, Bozeman WP J Emerg Med 2012 Nov 43 5 897-905
- Emergency physician watchdogs for law enforcement: if we are the hammer, everything will look like a nail.
- Ho J, Dawes D, Metzger J Ann Emerg Med 2011 May 57 5 542-3; reply 543-4
- Year in review 2010: Critical Care--Cardiac arrest and cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Metzger JC, Eastman AL, Pepe PE Crit Care 2011 15 6 239
- Year in review 2009: Critical Care--cardiac arrest, trauma and disasters.
- Metzger JC, Eastman AL, Pepe PE Crit Care 2010 14 6 242
- The lifesaving potential of specialized on-scene medical support for urban tactical operations.
- Metzger JC, Eastman AL, Benitez FL, Pepe PE Prehosp Emerg Care 2009 Oct-Dec 13 4 528-31