Chai-Wan obtained his bachelor’s and doctoral degrees from Seoul National University in 1997 and 2003 respectively. He studied the role of Prostate transglutaminase (TGase 4) on protecting of Candida albicans infection during PhD course. He conducted training for Post-doctoral fellowship and working as a Research Scientist from 2005 to 2012 at Jay Horton’s lab in the Department of Molecular Genetics in UT Southwestern medical. He focused his studies on finding molecular mediators in hepatic fatty acids and cholesterol regulation. He was appointed Assistant Professor in the Center for Human Nutrition with a secondary in Molecular Genetics and since then, he has studied enzymes in the fatty acid synthesis pathway in various organs using a tissue specific knockout mouse model.
- Seoul National University (1997), Agriculture
- Graduate School
- Seoul National University (2000), Medicine
- Graduate School
- Seoul National University (2003), Medical Sciences
- Lipid metabolism
- Protein-protein interaction
- Acetyl CoA Carboxylase Inhibition Reduces Hepatic Steatosis but Elevates Plasma Triglycerides in Mice and Humans: A Bedside to Bench Investigation.
- Kim CW, Addy C, Kusunoki J, Anderson NN, Deja S, Fu X, Burgess SC, Li C, Ruddy M, Chakravarthy M, Previs S, Milstein S, Fitzgerald K, Kelley DE, Horton JD Cell Metab. 2017 Aug 26 2 394-406.e6
- Crystal structure of Spot 14, a modulator of fatty acid synthesis.
- Colbert CL, Kim CW, Moon YA, Henry L, Palnitkar M, McKean WB, Fitzgerald K, Deisenhofer J, Horton JD, Kwon HJ Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Nov 107 44 18820-5
- Induced polymerization of mammalian acetyl-CoA carboxylase by MIG12 provides a tertiary level of regulation of fatty acid synthesis.
- Kim CW, Moon YA, Park SW, Cheng D, Kwon HJ, Horton JD Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 May 107 21 9626-31
- Transglutaminase 2 suppresses apoptosis by modulating caspase 3 and NF-kappaB activity in hypoxic tumor cells.
- Jang GY, Jeon JH, Cho SY, Shin DM, Kim CW, Jeong EM, Bae HC, Kim TW, Lee SH, Choi Y, Lee DS, Park SC, Kim IG Oncogene 2010 Jan 29 3 356-67
- Degradation of transglutaminase 2 by calcium-mediated ubiquitination responding to high oxidative stress.
- Jeong EM, Kim CW, Cho SY, Jang GY, Shin DM, Jeon JH, Kim IG FEBS Lett. 2009 Feb 583 4 648-54
- TGFbeta mediates activation of transglutaminase 2 in response to oxidative stress that leads to protein aggregation.
- Shin DM, Jeon JH, Kim CW, Cho SY, Lee HJ, Jang GY, Jeong EM, Lee DS, Kang JH, Melino G, Park SC, Kim IG FASEB J. 2008 Jul 22 7 2498-507
- Colorimetric transglutaminase assays combined with immunological signal amplification.
- Jeon JH, Kim CW, Shin DM, Cho SY, Jang GY, Lee HJ, Kim IG Anal. Biochem. 2006 Jan 348 2 327-9