Alex Bowman, M.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at UT Southwestern Medical Center who specializes in the medical treatment of genitourinary cancers (prostate, bladder, kidney, and testis). Originally from Houston, he earned his medical degree at UT Southwestern before completing a residency in Internal Medicine at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He then worked as an Internist at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center before returning to Dallas to pursue a fellowship in Hematology and Oncology, where he served as chief fellow in his final year.
His primary focus is on providing high-quality and compassionate medical care to patients with genitourinary cancers. In addition to his clinic at UT Southwestern/Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, Dr. Bowman also serves as a consultant for benign hematology and solid tumors at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital and Parkland Memorial Hospital. He is also actively engaged in both clinical research and quality improvement at UT Southwestern.
Dr. Bowman believes the key to successfully treating cancer is a comprehensive patient-centered approach to medical care that incorporates the latest scientific advances, access to cutting-edge clinical trials, and a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists and pathologists to offer patients the highest-quality care available. Equally important is understanding what each patient hopes to achieve through their treatment, and ensuring that their values and goals are respected throughout the process.
Dr. Bowman’s interested outside of medicine include travel, biking, and spending time with his wife and daughter.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2010)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell Campus (2013), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Hematology Oncology
- Clinical Trials
- Genitourinary Cancers
- Quality Improvement
- Renal Cell Carcinoma With Pulmonary Metastasis and Metachronous Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Bowman IA, Pedrosa I, Kapur P, Brugarolas J Clin Genitourin Cancer 2017 Aug 15 4 e675-e680
- Characterizing the outcomes of metastatic papillary renal cell carcinoma.
- Connor Wells J, Donskov F, Fraccon AP, Pasini F, Bjarnason GA, Beuselinck B, Knox JJ, Rha SY, Agarwal N, Bowman IA, Lee JL, Pal SK, Srinivas S, Scott Ernst D, Vaishampayan UN, Wood LA, Simpson R, De Velasco G, Choueiri TK, Heng DYC Cancer Med 2017 May 6 5 902-909
- Metastatic Giant Condyloma Acuminata (Buschke-Löwenstein Tumor).
- Bowman IA, Parra A, Arriaga Y J Oncol Pract 2016 Oct 12 10 951-953
- Thalidomide, clarithromycin, lenalidomide and dexamethasone therapy in newly diagnosed, symptomatic multiple myeloma.
- Mark TM, Bowman IA, Rossi AC, Shah M, Rodriguez M, Quinn R, Pearse RN, Zafar F, Pekle K, Jayabalan D, Ely S, Coleman M, Chen-Kiang S, Niesvizky R Leuk. Lymphoma 2014 Dec 55 12 2842-9
- Quantitative PCR detection of t(14;18) bcl-2/JH fusion sequences in follicular lymphoma patients: comparison of peripheral blood and bone marrow aspirate samples.
- Bowman A, Jones D, Medeiros LJ, Luthra R J Mol Diagn 2004 Nov 6 4 396-400
Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcoma. In Clinical Decision Support: Oncology, 2nd Ed.
Bowman IA, Gerber D (2017). Wilmington, DE, Decision Support in Medicine, LLC
Bladder Cancer. In Clinical Decision Support: Oncology, 2nd Ed.
Arriago YE, Raj G, Bowman IA (2017). Wilmington, DE, Decision Support in Medicine, LLC
Renal Cell Carcinoma. In Clinical Decision Support: Oncology, 2nd Ed.
Gerber D, Bowman IA (2017). Wilmington, DE, Decision Support in Medicine, LLC
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (2010)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2014)
- American Society of Hematology (2014)