Dr. Newton is originally from a small town in North Texas. He moved Denton, Texas to obtain his undergraduate degree from the University of North Texas. He then stayed in the Dallas-Fort Worth area to attend medical school at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, where he then continued his training completing his residency in Internal Medicine and his fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care. During his training he served as Chief Resident for the UTSW Department of Internal Medicine and Chief Fellow for the UTSW Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care. While in fellowship, Dr. Newton developed a clinical and research interest in the interstitial lung diseases. With his research, he hopes to expand our understanding of the clinical and molecular risk factors that lead to the development and progression of these diseases. Dr. Newton has an active practice in the UT Southwestern Advanced Lung Disease Clinic where he cares for patients with various forms of interstitial lung disease. Dr. Newton is board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, and Critical Care Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2009)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Chronic Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Interstitial Lung Disease
- Conncective Tissue Disease Associated Interstitial Lung Disease
- Familial Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Genetic Determinants of Interstitial Lung Disease
- Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonia
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Telomere Dysfunction
- Role of Antigen Type in Survival in Chronic Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.
- Adams TN, Newton CA, Glazer CS Lung 2019 Feb 197 1 113-114
- Telomere Length and Genetic Variant Associations with Interstitial Lung Disease Progression and Survival.
- Newton CA, Oldham JM, Ley B, Anand V, Adegunsoye A, Liu G, Batra K, Torrealba J, Kozlitina J, Glazer C, Strek ME, Wolters PJ, Noth I, Garcia CK Eur. Respir. J. 2019 Jan
- Telomere Length and Use of Immunosuppressive Medications in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Newton CA, Zhang D, Oldham JM, Kozlitina J, Ma SF, Martinez FJ, Raghu G, Noth I, Garcia CK Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2018 Dec
- Telomere length in patients with pulmonary fibrosis associated with chronic lung allograft dysfunction and post-lung transplantation survival.
- Newton CA, Kozlitina J, Lines JR, Kaza V, Torres F, Garcia CK J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2017 Aug 36 8 845-853
- The MUC5B promoter polymorphism and telomere length in patients with chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis: an observational cohort-control study.
- Ley B, Newton CA, Arnould I, Elicker BM, Henry TS, Vittinghoff E, Golden JA, Jones KD, Batra K, Torrealba J, Garcia CK, Wolters PJ Lancet Respir Med 2017 Aug 5 8 639-647
- Pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis associated with telomerase reverse transcriptase mutations.
- Newton CA, Batra K, Torrealba J, Meyer K, Raghu G, Garcia CK Eur. Respir. J. 2017 May 49 5
- Somatic mutations in telomerase promoter counterbalance germline loss-of-function mutations.
- Maryoung L, Yue Y, Young A, Newton CA, Barba C, van Oers NS, Wang RC, Garcia CK J. Clin. Invest. 2017 Mar 127 3 982-986
- Telomere-related lung fibrosis is diagnostically heterogeneous but uniformly progressive.
- Newton CA, Batra K, Torrealba J, Kozlitina J, Glazer CS, Aravena C, Meyer K, Raghu G, Collard HR, Garcia CK Eur. Respir. J. 2016 Dec 48 6 1710-1720
- Pulmonary fibrosis in the era of stratified medicine.
- Mathai SK, Newton CA, Schwartz DA, Garcia CK Thorax 2016 Dec 71 12 1154-1160
- Pirfenidone for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Adams TN, Eiswirth C, Newton CA, Battaile JT Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2016 Aug 194 3 374-6
Honors & Awards
- Chief Fellow, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
UT Southwestern (2015-2016)
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine
UT Southwestern (2012-2013)
- Intern Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Residency Program (2010)
- Hemphill-Gojer Internal Medicine Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2009)
- Vanetta, Hesser, Schmalstieg Excellence in Tutoring Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2009)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
UT Southwestern Medical School Chapter (2008)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2013)
- American Thoracic Society (2012)
- American Medical Association (2009)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2009)
- Texas Medical Association (2009)