Chad Newton, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Chad Newton, M.D., M.S.C.S., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. Specializing in pulmonary medicine, he also is the Associate Director of UTSW’s Interstitial Lung Disease Program.
Dr. Newton earned his bachelor’s degree cum laude at the University of North Texas in Denton. He received his medical degree at UT Southwestern, where he also completed a residency in internal medicine, a fellowship in pulmonary and clinical care medicine, serving as both Chief Resident and Chief Fellow. He also earned a master’s degree in clinical and translational research sciences.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine, pulmonary medicine, and critical care medicine, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2017.
Dr. Newton’s research interests include clinical and molecular risk factors that lead to the development and progression of interstitial lung disease and familial pulmonary fibrosis. His investigations have led to more than 20 publications in peer-reviewed journals, as well as book chapters, monographs, and editorials, and lectures around the United States.
He is a member of the American College of Chest Physicians, the American Medical Association, the American Thoracic Society, the Texas Medical Association, and the Dallas County Medical Society.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2009)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017), Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Chronic Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Interstitial Lung Disease
- Conncective Tissue Disease Associated Interstitial Lung Disease
- Familial Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Genetic Determinants of Interstitial Lung Disease
- Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonia
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Telomere Dysfunction
- Myositis-specific Antibodies Identify A Distinct Interstitial Pneumonia with Autoimmune Features Phenotype.
- Graham J, Bauer Ventura I, Newton CA, Lee C, Boctor N, Pugashetti JV, Cutting C, Joerns E, Sandhu H, Chung JH, Garcia CK, Kadoch M, Noth I, Adegunsoye A, Strek ME, Oldham JM, Eur. Respir. J. 2020 Jul
- Role of Antigen Type in Survival in Chronic Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.
- Adams TN, Newton CA, Glazer CS Lung 2019 Feb 197 1 113-114
- Telomere Length and Genetic Variant Associations with Interstitial Lung Disease Progression and Survival.
- Newton CA, Oldham JM, Ley B, Anand V, Adegunsoye A, Liu G, Batra K, Torrealba J, Kozlitina J, Glazer C, Strek ME, Wolters PJ, Noth I, Garcia CK Eur. Respir. J. 2019 Jan
- Telomere Length and Use of Immunosuppressive Medications in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
- Newton CA, Zhang D, Oldham JM, Kozlitina J, Ma SF, Martinez FJ, Raghu G, Noth I, Garcia CK Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2018 Dec
- Utility of Bronchoalveolar Lavage and Transbronchial Biopsy in Patients with Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.
- Adams TN, Newton CA, Batra K, Abu-Hijleh M, Barbera T, Torrealba J, Glazer CS Lung 2018 Jun
- Clinical Genetics in Interstitial Lung Disease.
- Newton CA, Molyneaux PL, Oldham JM Front Med (Lausanne) 2018 5 116
- Whole-Exome Sequencing in Adults With Chronic Kidney Disease: A Pilot Study.
- Lata S, Marasa M, Li Y, Fasel DA, Groopman E, Jobanputra V, Rasouly H, Mitrotti A, Westland R, Verbitsky M, Nestor J, Slater LM, D'Agati V, Zaniew M, Materna-Kiryluk A, Lugani F, Caridi G, Rampoldi L, Mattoo A, Newton CA, Rao MK, Radhakrishnan J, Ahn W, Canetta PA, Bomback AS, Appel GB, Antignac C, Markowitz GS, Garcia CK, Kiryluk K, Sanna-Cherchi S, Gharavi AG Ann. Intern. Med. 2017 Dec
- Resident versus faculty member simulation debriefing.
- Adams T, Newton C, Patel H, Sulistio M, Tomlinson A, Lee W Clin Teach 2017 Nov
- Telomere length in patients with pulmonary fibrosis associated with chronic lung allograft dysfunction and post-lung transplantation survival.
- Newton CA, Kozlitina J, Lines JR, Kaza V, Torres F, Garcia CK J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2017 Aug 36 8 845-853
- The MUC5B promoter polymorphism and telomere length in patients with chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis: an observational cohort-control study.
- Ley B, Newton CA, Arnould I, Elicker BM, Henry TS, Vittinghoff E, Golden JA, Jones KD, Batra K, Torrealba J, Garcia CK, Wolters PJ Lancet Respir Med 2017 Aug 5 8 639-647
Honors & Awards
- Chief Fellow, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
UT Southwestern (2015-2016)
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine
UT Southwestern (2012-2013)
- Intern Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Residency Program (2010)
- Hemphill-Gojer Internal Medicine Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2009)
- Vanetta, Hesser, Schmalstieg Excellence in Tutoring Award
UT Southwestern Medical School (2009)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
UT Southwestern Medical School Chapter (2008)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2013)
- American Thoracic Society (2012)
- American Medical Association (2009)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2009)
- Texas Medical Association (2009)