Dr. Subhash Banerjee received his initial medical training at the Minsk Medical Institute, summa cum laude, followed by internal medicine training at New York Hospital Queens Cornell College of Medicine. Drawn by his interest in vascular biology, Dr Banerjee pursued cardiovascular and later interventional cardiology advance fellowships at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and then joined faculty at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW) in 2004. Dr Banerjee is also the Chief of Cardiology at the VA North Texas Health Care System in Dallas, TX.
Dr Banerjee brings to UTSW cutting edge coronary, peripheral vascular and structural heart interventional expertise and is a nationally and internationally recognized expert in the field of interventional cardiology. Dr Banerjee serves on the U.S. National Institute of Health Clinical Trials Review committee, editorial boards of prestigious medical journals, national and local committees of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Dr Banerjee has been the principal investigator or part of the steering committee of many landmark clinical and translational medical research trials and has published over 160 peer-reviewed manuscripts and book chapters, including the American Board of Internal Medicine board review publications.
- Medical School
- Minsk Medical Institute (1992)
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens (1999), Internal Medicine
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2002), Cardiology
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2003), Interventional Cardiology
- Anti-platelet and anti-thrombotic therapies
- Complex coronary and peripheral vascular interventions (special emphasis: chronic total occlusion)
- Endothelial progenitor stem cell research in cardiovascular medicine
- Medical management after coronary stent implantation: a review.
- Brilakis ES, Patel VG, Banerjee S JAMA 2013 Jul 310 2 189-98
- Endothelial progenitor cell response to antiproliferative drug exposure.
- Banerjee S, Xu H, Fuh E, Nguyen KT, Garcia JA, Brilakis ES, Bhatt DL Atherosclerosis 2012 Nov 225 1 91-8
- Pilot Trial of Cryoplasty or Conventional Balloon Post-Dilation of Nitinol Stents for Revascularization of Peripheral Arterial Segments: The COBRA Trial.
- Banerjee S, Das TS, Abu-Fadel MS, Dippel EJ, Shammas NW, Tran DL, Zankar A, Varghese C, Kelly KC, Weideman RA, Little BB, Reilly RF, Addo T, Brilakis ES J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2012 Oct 60 15 1352-9
- Embolic capture angioplasty in peripheral artery interventions.
- Hadidi OF, Mohammad A, Zankar A, Brilakis ES, Banerjee S J. Endovasc. Ther. 2012 Oct 19 5 611-6
- Enhanced endothelialization of a new stent polymer through surface enhancement and incorporation of growth factor-delivering microparticles.
- Xu H, Nguyen KT, Brilakis ES, Yang J, Fuh E, Banerjee S J Cardiovasc Transl Res 2012 Aug 5 4 519-27
- Multi-Ligand Poly(L-Lactic-co-Glycolic Acid) Nanoparticles Inhibit Activation of Endothelial Cells.
- Xu H, Kona S, Su LC, Tsai YT, Dong JF, Brilakis ES, Tang L, Banerjee S, Nguyen KT J Cardiovasc Transl Res 2013 May
- Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol: How Low Can We Go?
- Sherbet DP, Garg P, Brilakis ES, Banerjee S Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2013 Apr
- Influence of chronic total occlusions on coronary artery bypass graft surgical outcomes.
- Banerjee S, Master RG, Peltz M, Willis B, Mohammed A, Little BB, DiMaio MJ, Jessen ME, Brilakis ES J Card Surg 2012 Nov 27 6 662-7
- Effect of concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors after percutaneous coronary intervention.
- Banerjee S, Weideman RA, Weideman MW, Little BB, Kelly KC, Gunter JT, Tortorice KL, Shank M, Cryer B, Reilly RF, Rao SV, Kastrati A, de Lemos JA, Brilakis ES, Bhatt DL Am. J. Cardiol. 2011 Mar 107 6 871-8
- A randomized controlled trial of a paclitaxel-eluting stent versus a similar bare-metal stent in saphenous vein graft lesions the SOS (Stenting of Saphenous Vein Grafts) trial.
- Brilakis ES, Lichtenwalter C, de Lemos JA, Roesle M, Obel O, Haagen D, Saeed B, Gadiparthi C, Bissett JK, Sachdeva R, Voudris VV, Karyofillis P, Kar B, Rossen J, Fasseas P, Berger P, Banerjee S J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2009 Mar 53 11 919-28
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Research Mentoring
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Internal Medicine Residency Program (2013)
- Researcher of the Year
VA North Texas Health Care System (2013)
- Leadership Award in Interventional Cardiology
Cardiovascular Research Technologies (2011)
- Emerging Cardiology Faculty Recognition
American College of Cardiology (2010)
- Leadership Award in Interventional Cardiology
Cardiovascular Research Technologies (2010)
- Young Leadership Award in Cardiology
Cardiovascular Revascularization Therapy (2010)
- Emerging Cardiology Faculty Nomination
American College of Cardiology (2007)
- Post-doctoral Fellowship Award
American Heart Association (2000)
- John Dwoek Teacher of the Year Award
New York Hospital Medical Center Queens Cornell University NY (1999)
- Teacher of the Year
New York Hospital Queens Cornell College of Medicine (1996)
- M.D., Summa cum laude
Minsk Medical Institute
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- Society of Coronary Angiography and Interventions