Dr. Hedayati is an NIH-funded independent clinical investigator and holds the Yin Quan-Yuen Distinguished Professorship in Nephrology. She received her M.D. from George Washington University and completed both her residency training in Internal Medicine and Nephrology fellowship at Duke University Medical Center. She also completed coursework that culminated in a master’s degree in Clinical Sciences and Biostatistics from Duke. After that, she joined the nephrology faculty at UTSW on the Clinical Scholar track.
Dr. Hedayati is currently the Associate Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Internal Medicine, the Director for Clinical and Translational Research in Nephrology, and the Co-Director of the O’Brien Kidney Clinical and Translational Core. As the recipient of NIH R01 grants and the PI of an NHLBI R38 residency training grant, UT-StAAR, her research focuses on cardiovascular biomarkers and outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease, as well as acute kidney injury in the settings of cardiorenal syndrome and COVID-19.
She served for a number of years as the Training Program Director of the Nephrology Fellowship at UT Southwestern, during which time she restructured the program to incorporate protected research time for clinical track fellows; reorganized the didactic lecture series to integrate evidence-based teaching and an interactive audience-response system; and incorporated simulation teaching for nephrology procedures.
Having mentored >20 post-doctoral research trainees, she received the Leaders in Clinical Excellence Mentoring Award in 2020. For the past 5 years, Dr. Hedayati has been active as an educator at the national level, including faculty for the ACP MKSAP Board Review Course and the American Society of Nephrology In-Service Board Examination.
- Medical School
- George Washington University School of Medicine (1998)
- Duke University Medical Center (2001), Internal Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center (2004), Nephrology
- Acute Kidney Injury and cardiorenal syndrome
- Acute Kidney Injury in COVID-19
- Cardiac biomarkers and anti-platelet agents in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Inflammation and depression in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Utility of Traditional Circulating and Imaging-Based Cardiac Biomarkers in Patients with Predialysis CKD.
- Colbert G, Jain N, de Lemos JA, Hedayati SS Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2014 Nov
- When is a Conservative Approach to Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease Preferable to Renal Replacement Therapy?
- Berger JR, Hedayati SS Semin Dial 2014 May 27 3 253-6
- Association of urinary sodium-to-potassium ratio with obesity in a multiethnic cohort.
- Jain N, Minhajuddin AT, Neeland IJ, Elsayed EF, Vega GL, Hedayati SS Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2014 Feb
- Rise or fall of glomerular filtration rate: does it matter?
- Nishank J, Susan Hedayati S Kidney Int. 2013 Apr 83 4 550-3
- Rationale and design of the Chronic Kidney Disease Antidepressant Sertraline Trial (CAST).
- Jain N, Trivedi MH, Rush AJ, Carmody T, Kurian B, Toto RD, Sarode R, Hedayati SS Contemp Clin Trials 2013 Jan 34 1 136-44
- Antiplatelet Therapy in the Management of Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with CKD: What Is the Evidence?
- Jain N, Hedayati SS, Sarode R, Banerjee S, Reilly RF Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2012 Sep
- Renal replacement therapy in the elderly population.
- Berger JR, Hedayati SS Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2012 Jun 7 6 1039-46
- Association of urinary sodium/potassium ratio with blood pressure: sex and racial differences.
- Hedayati SS, Minhajuddin AT, Ijaz A, Moe OW, Elsayed EF, Reilly RF, Huang CL Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2012 Feb 7 2 315-22
- How should clinicians interpret cardiac troponin values in patients with ESRD?
- Jain N, Hedayati SS Semin Dial 2011 Jul-Aug 24 4 398-400
- Non-pharmacological aspects of blood pressure management: what are the data?
- Hedayati SS, Elsayed EF, Reilly RF Kidney Int. 2011 May 79 10 1061-70
Honors & Awards
- Leaders in Clinical Excellence Mentoring Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020)
- National nominee for Councilor-at-Large
American Society of Nephrology (2019)
- Executive Leadership Program
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (2018)
- Nephrology In-Service Board Examination Committee
American Society of Nephrology (2017)
- Yin Quan-Yuen Distinguished Professorship in Nephrology
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017)
- ACP MKSAP Nephrology Faculty
American College of Physicians (2016)
- Program Committee Service Award
American Society of Nephrology (2015)
American Society of Nephrology (2013)
- National Executive Committee
American society of Nephrology Program Directors (2013)
- NIDDK Special Emphasis Panel
USRDS Special Study Centers (2013)
- Hypertension Advisory Group
American Society of Nephrology (2012)
- Duke Clinical Research Institute Research Fellow's Award
Duke University (2004)
- First Place Award for Clinical Research
Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, Nephrology Young Investigators Forum (2004)