Susan Hedayati, M.D.
Associate Vice Chair, Research and Faculty Development
Endowed Title Yin Quan-Yuen Distinguished Professorship in Nephrology
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Susan Hedayati, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Nephrology. She specializes in chronic kidney disease, diabetic nephropathy, and resistant hypertension.
Originally from Washington, D.C., Dr. Hedayati holds a bachelor's degree in molecular and cell biology from the University of Maryland in College Park, where she graduated summa cum laude. She earned her medical degree with honors from George Washington University School of Medicine. She then completed both her internal medicine training and nephrology fellowship training at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. She also holds a master’s degree in clinical health sciences and biostatistics from Duke.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in nephrology, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2004.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Hedayati serves as the Associate Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Internal Medicine, Director of Nephrology Clinical and Population Health Research, and Co-Director of the O’Brien Kidney Clinical and Translational Core.
On a national level, Dr. Hedayati serves on the American College of Physicians’ Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP) Nephrology Planning Committee and Faculty. She is also a Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology and is active as teaching faculty for its annual Nephrology Board Review Course.
As the recipient of NIH R01 grants and the PI of an NHLBI R38 residency training grant, UT-StAAR, Dr. Hedayati focuses her research on cardiovascular biomarkers and outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease, as well as acute kidney injury in the settings of cardiorenal syndrome and COVID-19.
She has delivered numerous lectures globally, published widely in peer-reviewed journals, and coauthored chapters of textbooks including Chronic Renal Disease and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease.
She served for a number of years as the Training Program Director of the Nephrology Fellowship at UT Southwestern, during which time she restructured the program to incorporate protected research time for clinical track fellows; reorganized the didactic lecture series to integrate evidence-based teaching and an interactive audience-response system; and incorporated simulation teaching for nephrology procedures.
Having mentored more than 20 postdoctoral research trainees, she received the Leaders in Clinical Excellence Mentoring Award in 2020.
Dr. Hedayati has been active as an educator at the national level, including servomg as faculty for the ACP MKSAP Board Review Course and the American Society of Nephrology In-Service Board Examination.
- Medical School
- George Washington University School of Medicine (1998)
- Duke University Medical Center (2001), Internal Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center (2004), Nephrology
- Acute Kidney Injury and Cardiorenal Syndrome
- Acute Kidney Injury in COVID-19
- Cardiac Biomarkers and Anti-platelet Agents in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Inflammation and Depression in Chronic Kidney Disease
- Association of Blood Pressure Variability and Diuretics With Cardiovascular Events in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease Stages 1-5.
- Gregg LP, Hedayati SS, Yang H, Van Buren PN, Banerjee S, Navaneethan SD, Virani SS, Winkelmayer WC, Alvarez CA, Hypertension 2021 Jan HYPERTENSIONAHA12016117
- A Novel Treatment for Vascular Calcification in Patients With Dialysis-Dependent Chronic Kidney Disease: Are We There Yet?
- Hedayati SS, Circulation 2020 03 141 9 740-742
- Comparative Efficacy of Therapies for Treatment of Depression for Patients Undergoing Maintenance Hemodialysis: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Mehrotra R, Cukor D, Unruh M, Rue T, Heagerty P, Cohen SD, Dember LM, Diaz-Linhart Y, Dubovsky A, Greene T, Grote N, Kutner N, Trivedi MH, Quinn DK, Ver Halen N, Weisbord SD, Young BA, Kimmel PL, Hedayati SS Ann. Intern. Med. 2019 Feb
- Impaired Renal Function on Cholesterol Efflux Capacity, HDL Particle Number, and Cardiovascular Events.
- Chindhy S, Joshi P, Khera A, Ayers CR, Hedayati SS, Rohatgi A J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018 Aug 72 6 698-700
- Association of Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 with Death and Atherosclerotic Events in Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Gregg LP, Tio MC, Li X, Adams-Huet B, de Lemos JA, Hedayati SS Am. J. Nephrol. 2018 Jun 47 6 395-405
- Management of Traditional Cardiovascular Risk Factors in CKD: What Are the Data?
- Gregg LP, Hedayati SS Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2018 Feb
- Effect of Sertraline on Depressive Symptoms in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease Without Dialysis Dependence: The CAST Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Hedayati SS, Gregg LP, Carmody T, Jain N, Toups M, Rush AJ, Toto RD, Trivedi MH JAMA 2017 11 318 19 1876-1890
- Effect Modification of Chronic Kidney Disease on the Association of Circulating and Imaging Cardiac Biomarkers With Outcomes.
- Gregg LP, Adams-Huet B, Li X, Colbert G, Jain N, de Lemos JA, Hedayati SS J Am Heart Assoc 2017 Jul 6 7
- Recognition and Management of Resistant Hypertension.
- Braam B, Taler SJ, Rahman M, Fillaus JA, Greco BA, Forman JP, Reisin E, Cohen DL, Saklayen MG, Hedayati SS Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2016 Nov
- Differences in Whole Blood Platelet Aggregation at Baseline and in Response to Aspirin and Aspirin Plus Clopidogrel in Patients With Versus Without Chronic Kidney Disease.
- Jain N, Li X, Adams-Huet B, Sarode R, Toto RD, Banerjee S, Hedayati SS Am. J. Cardiol. 2015 Dec
Honors & Awards
- Shaul G. Massry Distinguished Lecture
National Kidney Foundation (2022)
- Leaders in Clinical Excellence Mentoring Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2020)
- National nominee for Councilor-at-Large
American Society of Nephrology (2019)
- Executive Leadership Program
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (2018)
- Nephrology In-Service Board Examination Committee
American Society of Nephrology (2017)
- Yin Quan-Yuen Distinguished Professorship in Nephrology
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2017)
- ACP MKSAP Nephrology Faculty
American College of Physicians (2016)
- Program Committee Service Award
American Society of Nephrology (2015)
American Society of Nephrology (2013)
- National Executive Committee
American Society of Nephrology Program Directors (2013)
- NIDDK Special Emphasis Panel
USRDS Special Study Centers (2013)
- Hypertension Advisory Group
American Society of Nephrology (2012)
- Duke Clinical Research Institute Research Fellow's Award
Duke University (2004)
- First Place Award for Clinical Research
Southern Society for Clinical Investigation, Nephrology Young Investigators Forum (2004)
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Nephrology
- National Kidney Foundation