Robert Timmerman, M.D.
Chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology
Professor & Chair
Endowed Title Effie Marie Cain Distinguished Chair in Cancer Therapy Research
Department Radiation Oncology | Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center | Neurological Surgery
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Robert D. Timmerman, M.D., FASTRO, FACR, is Professor and Chair of Radiation Oncology, Professor of Neurosurgery, and Effie Marie Cain Distinguished Chair in Cancer Therapy Research. His primary practice involves the treatment of adult and children with brain tumors.
Dr. Timmerman graduated from Iowa State University with a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering and a master's degree in reactor physics from the University of Tennessee. After finishing medical school in his home state of South Dakota, he completed a residency in radiation oncology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was the principal investigator or co-investigator on several prospective trials designed to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of stereotactic body radiation therapy in lung, liver, spine, and pelvic sites. He is the national principal investigator of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) trials using this therapy in patients with early stage lung cancer.
- Other Post Graduate Training
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville (1986)
- Graduate School
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville (1986)
- Medical School
- University of South Dakota (1990)
- McKennan Hospital (1991), Transitional Year
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1994), Radiation Oncology
- Effect of SAbR on immune function and immunotherapy
- Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy
- Radiation Response Modifiers
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy
- Phase I dose-escalation study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for low- and intermediate-risk prostate cancer.
- Boike TP, Lotan Y, Cho LC, Brindle J, DeRose P, Xie XJ, Yan J, Foster R, Pistenmaa D, Perkins A, Cooley S, Timmerman R J. Clin. Oncol. 2011 May 29 15 2020-6
- Phase I dose-escalation study of stereotactic body radiotherapy in patients with hepatic metastases.
- Rule W, Timmerman R, Tong L, Abdulrahman R, Meyer J, Boike T, Schwarz RE, Weatherall P, Chinsoo Cho L Ann. Surg. Oncol. 2011 Apr 18 4 1081-7
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy for inoperable early stage lung cancer.
- Timmerman R, Paulus R, Galvin J, Michalski J, Straube W, Bradley J, Fakiris A, Bezjak A, Videtic G, Johnstone D, Fowler J, Gore E, Choy H JAMA 2010 Mar 303 11 1070-6
- Surgery versus stereotactic body radiation therapy for early-stage lung cancer: who's down for the count?
- Timmerman RD J. Clin. Oncol. 2010 Feb 28 6 907-9
- Excessive toxicity when treating central tumors in a phase II study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for medically inoperable early-stage lung cancer
- Timmerman, R, McGarry, R, Yiannoutsos, C, Papiez, L, Tudor, K, DeLuca, J, Ewing, M, Abdulrahman, R, DeRosiers, C, Williams, M, Fletcher, J J Clin Oncol 2006 24 4833-4839
- Extracranial Stereotactic Radioablation: results of a phase I study in medically inoperable stage I non-small cell lung cancer
- Timmerman, R., Papiez, L., McGarry, R, Likes, L., DesRosiers, C., Bank, M., Frost, S., Randall, M., Williams, M. Chest 2003 124(5) 1946-1955
- Local Surgical, Ablative, and Radiation Treatment of Metastases
- Timmerman, RD, Bizekis, CS, Pass HI, Fong, Y, Dupuy, DE, Dawson, LA, and Lu, D CA - A Journal for Clinicians May 2009 59(3)
- A phase I trial of temozolomide and lomustine in newly diagnosed high-grade gliomas of childhood.
- Jakacki RI, Yates A, Blaney SM, Zhou T, Timmerman R, Ingle AM, Flom L, Prados MD, Adamson PC, Pollack IF Neuro-oncology 2008 Aug 10 4 569-76
- Universal survival curve and single fraction equivalent dose: useful tools in understanding potency of ablative radiotherapy
- Park C, Papiez L, Zhang S, Story M, Timmerman RD Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008 70(3) 847-52
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy in multiple organ sites
- Timmerman RD, Kavanagh BD, Cho LC, Papiez L, Xing L J Clin Oncol 2007 25(8) 947-52
Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy
Brian Kavanagh and Robert Timmerman (Ed.) (2005). Baltimore, MD, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins
Image Guided and Adaptive Radiation Therapy
Robert Timmerman and Lei Xing (Ed.) (2009). Baltimore, MD, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins
Treating Tumors that Move with Respiration
Urschel HC, Luketich JD, Papiez L, Timmerman R (Ed.) (2007). New York, NY, Springer Science & Business Media
IMRT, IGRT, SBRT - Advances in the Treatment Planning and Delivery of Radiotherapy
Meyer J, Kavanagh B, Timmerman R (editors) (Ed.) (2007). Basal, Switzerland, Karger
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- The Best Doctors in America
- American College of Radiology
- American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group
- Society for Neuro-Oncology
- The Children′s Cancer Group and The Children′s Oncology Group