Dr. Charina Ramirez received her medical degree from UT Medical Branch in Galveston. She completed her internship and residency training in pediatrics at UT Southwestern/Children’s Medical Center. Subsequently Dr. Ramirez completed her fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition at UT Southwestern.
During her fellowships, she served as a research fellow in lipid metabolism under the mentorship of Drs. John Dietschy and Stephen Turley. Her research interests have involved cholesterol transport in the murine models of Niemann-Pick Type C disease and Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency. Her current research project is evaluating the effects of a low carbohydrate diet in pediatric patients with metabolic syndrome and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (2003)
- Children's Health Dallas (2004), Pediatrics
- Children's Health Dallas (2006), Pediatric Medicine
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2010), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Fatty liver disease
- Niemann-Pick type C disease
- Lysosomal Acid Lipase Activity: A Tool for the Detection and Management of Fatty Liver Disease?
- Ramirez CM, Lopez AM, Turley SD EBioMedicine 2015 Jul 2 7 638-9
- Systemic administration of 2-hydroxypropyl-ß-cyclodextrin to symptomatic Npc1-deficient mice slows cholesterol sequestration in the major organs and improves liver function.
- Lopez AM, Terpack SJ, Posey KS, Liu B, Ramirez CM, Turley SD Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol. 2014 Aug
- Impact of the loss of caveolin-1 on lung mass and cholesterol metabolism in mice with and without the lysosomal cholesterol transporter, Niemann-Pick type C1.
- Mundy DI, Lopez AM, Posey KS, Chuang JC, Ramirez CM, Scherer PE, Turley SD Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2014 Apr
- Ontogenic changes in lung cholesterol metabolism, lipid content, and histology in mice with Niemann-Pick type C disease.
- Ramirez CM, Lopez AM, Le LQ, Posey KS, Weinberg AG, Turley SD Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2014 Jan 1841 1 54-61
- Frequency of the Cholesteryl ester storage disease common LIPA E8SJM mutation (c.894g>a) in various racial and ethnic groups.
- Scott SA, Liu B, Nazarenko I, Martis S, Kozlitina J, Yang Y, Ramirez C, Kasai Y, Hyatt T, Peter I, Desnick RJ Hepatology 2013 Feb
- Unesterified cholesterol accumulation in late endosomes/lysosomes causes neurodegeneration and is prevented by driving cholesterol export from this compartment.
- Aqul A, Liu B, Ramirez CM, Pieper AA, Estill SJ, Burns DK, Liu B, Repa JJ, Turley SD, Dietschy JM J. Neurosci. 2011 Jun 31 25 9404-13
- Quantitative role of LAL, NPC2, and NPC1 in lysosomal cholesterol processing defined by genetic and pharmacological manipulations.
- Ramirez CM, Liu B, Aqul A, Taylor AM, Repa JJ, Turley SD, Dietschy JM J. Lipid Res. 2011 Apr 52 4 688-98
- Weekly cyclodextrin administration normalizes cholesterol metabolism in nearly every organ of the Niemann-Pick type C1 mouse and markedly prolongs life.
- Ramirez CM, Liu B, Taylor AM, Repa JJ, Burns DK, Weinberg AG, Turley SD, Dietschy JM Pediatr. Res. 2010 Oct 68 4 309-15
- Cyclodextrin overcomes the transport defect in nearly every organ of NPC1 mice leading to excretion of sequestered cholesterol as bile acid.
- Liu B, Ramirez CM, Miller AM, Repa JJ, Turley SD, Dietschy JM J. Lipid Res. 2010 May 51 5 933-44
- Persistence of herpes simplex virus DNA in cerebrospinal fluid of neonates with herpes simplex virus encephalitis.
- Mejías A, Bustos R, Ardura MI, Ramírez C, Sánchez PJ J Perinatol 2009 Apr 29 4 290-6
Honors & Awards
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship Grant
Ara Parseghian Medical Research Foundation (2009-2010)
- Summa Cum Laude
University of Houston (1999)
- The Obesity Society (2014)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (2013)
- Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas (2012)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2008)
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (2007)
- Texas Medical Association (2003)