Dr. Michele J. Alkalay, M.D. earned her medical degree from the Sackler School of Medicine. She completed her internship and residency in pediatrics, and her fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology, and nutrition at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children's Medical Center Dallas. She is board-certified in pediatrics and pediatric gastroenterology. Dr. Alkalay's clinical interests include celiac disease, inflammatory bowel disease, gastroesophageal reflux disease, eosinophilic esophagitis, chronic abdominal pain, constipation, and encopresis.
After her fellowship, Dr. Alkalay practiced in New York and received recognition as a top physician in the Brewster area, acquiring the certificate of a Leading Physician of the World and Top Health Care Professional from the Internal Association of HealthCare Professionals. She was also published in The World Wide Leaders in Health Care, named Cambridge Who's Who Doctors of America, and received top patient satisfaction in patient AMGA surveys.
Dr. Alkalay returned to Dallas, Texas in 2012 as an assistant professor of pediatrics at UT Southwestern. She founded the first pediatric celiac disease medical program group in North Texas. She is the director of the Pediatric Celiac Disease Program at UT Southwestern located at Children’s Health Plano. Dr. Alkalay been recognized as a Top Doctor by Castle Connolly, Best Pediatric Gastroenterologist in Texas Magazine Top Doctors, and “Best Pediatric Specialist” in D Magazine. Additionally, she was named in Becker’s List as one of their “117 Physicians to Know.”
- University of Oklahoma (1998)
- Medical School
- Sackler School of Medicine (2003)
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2009), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Celiac Disease
- Clinical differences among racially diverse children with celiac disease.
- Desher KA, Alkalay MJ, World J Pediatr 2022 Aug
- Nutrition in Patients with Lactose Malabsorption, Celiac Disease, and Related Disorders.
- Alkalay MJ, Nutrients 2021 Dec 14 1
- Update on celiac disease.
- Alkalay MJ, Curr Opin Pediatr 2020 Oct 32 5 654-660
- Conformationally restricted analogs of BD1008 and an antisense oligodeoxynucleotide targeting sigma1 receptors produce anti-cocaine effects in mice.
- Matsumoto RR, McCracken KA, Friedman MJ, Pouw B, De Costa BR, Bowen WD Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2001 May 419 2-3 163-74
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctor
Recognition by Castle Connolly (2022)
- Top Pediatric Gastroenterologist
Texas Magazine Top Doctors (2021)
- 117 GI Physician to Know
Becker's List (2019)
- TX Top Doc
- Who's Who America
- Leading Doctors Who's Who in America
- Texas Rising Stars
Texas Monthly Magazine (2016)
- Cambridge Who's Who Doctors of America
Worldwide Who's Who (2011-2012)
- Leading Physician of the World & Top Health Care Professional
The International Association of Health Care Professionals (2011-2012)
- The World Wide Leaders in Healthcare
Published in 2011-2012 edition (2011)
- Best Pediatric Specialist
D Magazine (2020, 2021)
- GenerationGF.org (2018)
- Celiac Disease Foundation (2017)
- Gluten Intolerance Group of Greater Dallas (GIG) (2017)
- American Medical Association (2012)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Medical Association (2012)
- Crohn's and Colits Foundation of America (2009)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (2006)