Bradley Barth, M.D., M.P.H., graduated from UT Austin and UT Medical School in San Antonio. He completed his internship and residency at the Floating Hospital for Children and Tufts University in 2001, and a fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition at Children’s Hospital Boston and Harvard University in 2004.
Dr. Barth’s clinical and research interests include therapeutic endoscopy, ERCP, recurrent and chronic pancreatitis and endoscopic treatment of gastrointestinal bleeding and complex esophageal strictures. He won the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Endoscopy Prize on two separate occasions, and is a fellow of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.
He is presently a Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center and serves as the Director of Endoscopy, the Clinical Director of Pediatric Gastroenterology, and the president of the medical-dental staff at Children’s Health, Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1998)
- Tufts Medical Center (1999), Pediatrics
- Tufts Medical Center (2001), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital of Boston (2004), Pediatric Gi/nutrition
- Acute, Chronic and Recurrent Pancreatitis in Children
- Enteroscopy in Children
- Therapeutic Endoscopy in Children
- Therapeutic Interventions for Complex Childhood Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Disorders
- Pediatric Considerations in Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography.
- Troendle DM, Barth BA Gastrointest. Endosc. Clin. N. Am. 2016 Jan 26 1 119-36
- ERCP can be safely and effectively performed by a pediatric gastroenterologist for choledocholithiasis in a pediatric facility.
- Troendle DM, Barth BA J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2013 Nov 57 5 655-8
- Single-balloon enteroscopy in children: initial experience at a pediatric center.
- Barth BA, Channabasappa N J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2010 Nov 51 5 680-4
- Diabetes Mellitus in Children with Acute Recurrent and Chronic Pancreatitis: Data From the INternational Study Group of Pediatric Pancreatitis: In Search for a CuRE Cohort.
- Bellin MD, Lowe M, Zimmerman MB, Wilschanski M, Werlin S, Troendle DM, Shah U, Schwarzenberg SJ, Pohl JF, Perito E, Ooi CY, Nathan JD, Morinville VD, McFerron BA, Mascarenhas MR, Maqbool A, Liu Q, Lin TK, Husain SZ, Himes R, Heyman MB, Gonska T, Giefer MJ, Gariepy CE, Freedman SD, Fishman DS, Barth B, Abu-El-Haija M, Uc A, J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2019 Nov 69 5 599-606
- IV Ibuprofen for Prevention of Post-Ercp Pancreatitis in Children: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Feasibility Study.
- Troendle DM, Gurram B, Huang R, Barth BA, J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2019 Oct
- More Is Less: The Advantages of Performing Concurrent Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy and Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography for Pediatric Choledocholithiasis.
- Gee KM, Jones RE, Casson C, Barth B, Troendle D, Beres AL, J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2019 Sep
- Risk Factors for Rapid Progression From Acute Recurrent to Chronic Pancreatitis in Children: Report From INSPPIRE.
- Liu QY, Abu-El-Haija M, Husain SZ, Barth B, Bellin M, Fishman DS, Freedman SD, Gariepy CE, Giefer MJ, Gonska T, Heyman MB, Himes R, Lin TK, Maqbool A, Mascarenhas M, McFerron BA, Morinville VD, Nathan JD, Ooi CY, Perito ER, Pohl JF, Rhee S, Schwarzenberg SJ, Shah U, Troendle D, Werlin SL, Wilschanski M, Zimmerman MB, Lowe ME, Uc A, J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2019 May
- Chronic Pancreatitis: Pediatric and Adult Cohorts Show Similarities in Disease Progress Despite Different Risk Factors.
- Schwarzenberg SJ, Uc A, Zimmerman B, Wilschanski M, Wilcox CM, Whitcomb DC, Werlin SL, Troendle D, Tang G, Slivka A, Singh VK, Sherman S, Shah U, Sandhu BS, Romagnuolo J, Rhee S, Pohl JF, Perito ER, Ooi CY, Nathan JD, Muniraj T, Morinville VD, McFerron B, Mascarenhas M, Maqbool A, Liu Q, Lin TK, Lewis M, Husain SZ, Himes R, Heyman MB, Guda N, Gonska T, Giefer MJ, Gelrud A, Gariepy CE, Gardner TB, Freedman SD, Forsmark CE, Fishman DS, Cote GA, Conwell D, Brand RE, Bellin M, Barth B, Banks PA, Anderson MA, Amann ST, Alkaade S, Abu-El-Haija M, Abberbock JN, Lowe ME, Yadav D, J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2019 Apr 68 4 566-573
- Challenges in pediatric gastroenterology, 2018.
- Barth BA Curr. Opin. Pediatr. 2018 Jul
- In-Hospital Pediatric ERCP is Associated with Shorter Hospitalization for Children with Choledocholithiasis.
- Bonasso PC, Gurien LA, Staszak J, Gowen ME, Troendle DM, Odiase E, Lazar L, Ruan W, Barth BA, Williams RF, Dassinger MS J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2018 Jul
Small Intestinal Bleeding. In Pohl J, Jolley C, Gelfond D, eds. Pediatric Gastroenterology: A Color Handbook.
Troendle D, Barth BA. (2014). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
Capsule Endoscopy and Small Bowel Enteroscopy. In Wyllie R, Hyams JS, Kay M, eds. Pediatric Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 5th ed.
Barth B, Troendle D. (2016). Philadelphia: Elsevier; 740-747.
Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, and Developmental Anomalies of the Pancreas. In Feldman M, Friedman L, Brandt L, eds. Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 9th ed.
Barth BA, Burdick S. (2010). Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier.
Honors & Awards
- Best Doctors in America
- Fellow, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010-2018)
- Endoscopy Prize, NASPGHAN (2006, 2013)
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2002)
- American Gastroenterology Association (2001)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (2001)