- Medical School
- Pramukhswami Medical School, India (2000)
- Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center (2002), Internal Medicine
- McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University (2004), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2006), Nephrology
- Research Fellowship
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Research
- Kidney Development and Homeostasis
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Discovery and preclinical evaluation of anti-miR-17 oligonucleotide RGLS4326 for the treatment of polycystic kidney disease.
- Lee EC, Valencia T, Allerson C, Schairer A, Flaten A, Yheskel M, Kersjes K, Li J, Gatto S, Takhar M, Lockton S, Pavlicek A, Kim M, Chu T, Soriano R, Davis S, Androsavich JR, Sarwary S, Owen T, Kaplan J, Liu K, Jang G, Neben S, Bentley P, Wright T, Patel V, Nat Commun 2019 Sep 10 1 4148
- microRNA-17 family promotes polycystic kidney disease progression through modulation of mitochondrial metabolism.
- Hajarnis S, Lakhia R, Yheskel M, Williams D, Sorourian M, Liu X, Aboudehen K, Zhang S, Kersjes K, Galasso R, Li J, Kaimal V, Lockton S, Davis S, Flaten A, Johnson JA, Holland WL, Kusminski CM, Scherer PE, Harris PC, Trudel M, Wallace DP, Igarashi P, Lee EC, Androsavich JR, Patel V Nat Commun 2017 Feb 8 14395
- MicroRNA-21 Aggravates Cyst Growth in a Model of Polycystic Kidney Disease.
- Lakhia R, Hajarnis S, Williams D, Aboudehen K, Yheskel M, Xing C, Hatley ME, Torres VE, Wallace DP, Patel V J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2016 Aug 27 8 2319-30
- miR-17~92 miRNA cluster promotes kidney cyst growth in polycystic kidney disease.
- Patel V, Williams D, Hajarnis S, Hunter R, Pontoglio M, Somlo S, Igarashi P Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Jun
- MicroRNAs regulate renal tubule maturation through modulation of Pkd1.
- Patel V, Hajarnis S, Williams D, Hunter R, Huynh D, Igarashi P J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2012 Dec 23 12 1941-8
- MicroRNAs and fibrosis.
- Patel V, Noureddine L Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2012 Jul 21 4 410-6
- Advances in the pathogenesis and treatment of polycystic kidney disease.
- Patel V, Chowdhury R, Igarashi P Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2009 Mar 18 2 99-106
- Acute kidney injury and aberrant planar cell polarity induce cyst formation in mice lacking renal cilia.
- Patel V, Li L, Cobo-Stark P, Shao X, Somlo S, Lin F, Igarashi P Hum. Mol. Genet. 2008 Jun 17 11 1578-90
- Anti-microRNA screen uncovers miR-17 family within miR-17~92 cluster as the primary driver of kidney cyst growth.
- Yheskel M, Lakhia R, Cobo-Stark P, Flaten A, Patel V Sci Rep 2019 Feb 9 1 1920
- Planar cell polarity genes Celsr1 and Vangl2 are necessary for kidney growth, differentiation, and rostrocaudal patterning.
- Brzóska HL, d'Esposito AM, Kolatsi-Joannou M, Patel V, Igarashi P, Lei Y, Finnell RH, Lythgoe MF, Woolf AS, Papakrivopoulou E, Long DA Kidney Int. 2016 Dec 90 6 1274-1284
Honors & Awards
- Rising star in Nephrology - State of Texas
Super Doctors (2012)
- NIDDK-Career Development Award
- UT Southwestern O’Brien Center-Pilot and Feasibility Grant
- SSCI Young Investigator Travel award
- Chief Fellow, UT Southwestern Medical Center-Nephrology fellowship
- American Society of Nephrology