Thomas Dalton, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Thomas Dalton, M.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Geriatric Medicine. His clinical interests center on acute care of the older adult, perioperative care for older adults undergoing elective surgery, and building interprofessional teams to help older adults and their families navigate the health care system.
Originally from the Dallas area, Dr. Dalton attended medical school at UT Southwestern, where he also completed residency training in Internal Medicine. After serving an additional year as Chief Resident in Internal Medicine, he went to Duke University to complete a fellowship in Geriatric Medicine with a concentration in Medical Education.
Board-certified in internal medicine and geriatric medicine, he joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
Outside of his clinical work, Dr. Dalton teaches and mentors medical students and doctors in training. He also serves on several committees dedicated to medical curricula, interprofessional education, and other topics.
Dr. Dalton was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list for 2021 and 2022.
In 2018, Dr. Dalton received UT Southwestern's Rising Star Award.
Dr. Dalton enjoys spending time with his family, reading novels and biographies, and following the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011), Internal Medicine
- Chief Resident
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012), Internal Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center (2014), Geriatric Medicine
- Acute care of older adults
- Medical Education
- Perioperative care of older adults
Honors & Awards
- Provider Patient Safety Star Award, Clements University Hospital
- 1st Place, Innovation and Learner Poster Award
Perioperative Optimization of Senior Health, Duke Medicine Patient Safety Conference (2014)
- Lorraine Sulkin-Schein Internal Medicine Housestaff Award in Geriatric Medicine
UT Southwestern Internal Medicine Residency Program (2011)
- Resident Award
Southeast Center for Excellence in Geriatric Medicine (2010)
- Society of Hospital Medicine (2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2011)
- American Geriatrics Society (2009)
- American College of Physicians (2008)