Steven Vernino, M.D., Ph.D., is a Distinguished Teaching Professor and Vice Chair for Education and Faculty Affairs in the Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Vernino specializes in evaluating, diagnosing, and treating autoimmune neurological disorders, autonomic disorders, and neuromuscular disorders. He is the founding Director of the Autonomic Disorders Clinic, the multidisciplinary Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) Clinic, and the Autonomic Disorders Fellowship Program. He is also Co-Director of the Autoimmune Neurology Fellowship Program.
Dr. Vernino earned his medical degree and Ph.D. degree in neuroscience at Baylor College of Medicine. He completed a neurology residency and fellowship training in neuroimmunology and electromyography (EMG) at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2004.
Dr. Vernino holds the Dr. Bob and Jean Smith Foundation Distinguished Chair in Neuromuscular Disease Research and the Rex Griswold Distinguished Professorship in Multiple System Atrophy. He is the director of the autonomic disorders program and MSA Mutidisciplinary clinic. His primary research goal is improving the diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune and autonomic neurological disorders. He also leads a number of clinical trials for autonomic disorders and autoimmune encephalitis.
Most notably, Dr. Vernino has helped define the relationship between autoimmune disorders and disorders of the autonomic nervous system and identified the antibodies to ganglionic acetylcholine receptors as the cause of autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy, a rare autonomic nervous system disorder. He has also characterized several neurological antibodies related to paraneoplastic disorders. He has published more than 120 peer-reviewed articles and dozens of book chapters and reviews.
He has been selected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Neurological Association and the American Autonomic Society. Dr. Vernino is board certified in neurology, neuromuscular medicine, and autonomic disorders. He serves as the president of the American Autonomic Society, the major professional society for the study of disorders of the autonomic nervous system.
Among his many professional activities, Dr. Vernino serves on the medical advisory boards of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation, The Multiple System Atrophy Coalition, and Dysautonomia International.
He has received numerous awards for his work as a clinician, researcher, and teacher, including the 1998 American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Founders Award, the 2013 AAN Program Director Recognition Award, and the 2018 University of Texas Regents Outstanding Teacher Award. He was inducted into the Southwestern Academy of Teachers in 2015.
- Graduate School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1992)
- Other Post Graduate Training
- Baylor College of Medicine (1992)
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1994)
- Mayo Clinic (1995), Internal Medicine
- Mayo Clinic (1998), Neurology
- Mayo Clinic (1999), Neuroimmunology
- Autonomic effects of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors
- Clinical treatment trials for autoimmune and autonomic disorders
- Disorders of neuromuscular hyperexcitability
- Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes
- Serologic evaluation of patients with dysautonomia
- Managing supine hypertension in a patient with non-diabetic autonomic neuropathy receiving droxidopa for neurogenic orthostatic hypotension.
- Vernino S, Lew M, Kremens D Clin. Auton. Res. 2017 Jun
- The recommendations of a consensus panel for the screening, diagnosis, and treatment of neurogenic orthostatic hypotension and associated supine hypertension.
- Gibbons CH, Schmidt P, Biaggioni I, Frazier-Mills C, Freeman R, Isaacson S, Karabin B, Kuritzky L, Lew M, Low P, Mehdirad A, Raj SR, Vernino S, Kaufmann H J. Neurol. 2017 Jan
- The major histocompatibility complex and antibody-mediated limbic encephalitis.
- Stuve O, Vernino S Ann. Neurol. 2016 Dec
- Autoimmunity-associated autonomic failure with sympathetic denervation.
- Goldstein DS, Holmes C, Sullivan P, Donadio V, Isonaka R, Zhong E, Pourier B, Vernino S, Kopin IJ, Sharabi Y Clin. Auton. Res. 2016 Nov
- Spinal Nerve Tolerance to Single-Session Stereotactic Ablative Radiation Therapy (SABR).
- Medin PM, Hrycushko BA, Vernino S, Foster RD, Sayre J, Yamada Y, Van Der Kogel AJ Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 2016 Oct 96 2S S216
- Safety and Durability of Effect with Long-Term, Open-Label Droxidopa Treatment in Patients with Symptomatic Neurogenic Orthostatic Hypotension (NOH303).
- Isaacson S, Shill HA, Vernino S, Ziemann A, Rowse GJ J Parkinsons Dis 2016 Sep
- Evaluation of positive and negative predictors of seizure outcomes among patients with immune-mediated epilepsy: a meta-analysis.
- Dubey D, Farzal Z, Hays R, Brown LS, Vernino S Ther Adv Neurol Disord 2016 Sep 9 5 369-77
- Long-term safety of droxidopa in patients with symptomatic neurogenic orthostatic hypotension.
- Isaacson S, Vernino S, Ziemann A, Rowse GJ, Kalu U, White WB J Am Soc Hypertens 2016 Aug
- Diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for management of autoimmune encephalopathies.
- Dubey D, Blackburn K, Greenberg B, Stuve O, Vernino S Expert Rev Neurother 2016 May 1-13
- A Single Amino Acid Substitution Prevents Recognition of a Dominant Human Aquaporin-4 Determinant in the Context of HLA-DRB1*03:01 by a Murine TCR.
- Arellano B, Hussain R, Miller-Little WA, Herndon E, Lambracht-Washington D, Eagar TN, Lewis R, Healey D, Vernino S, Greenberg BM, Stüve O PLoS ONE 2016 11 4 e0152720
Autoimmune Autonomic Failure. In Handbook of Clinical Neurology, Volume 117: Autonomic Nervous System
Muppidi S, Vernino S (2013). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
American Autonomic Society (2020-2022)
American Autonomic Society (2018)
- University of Texas Regents Outstanding Teacher Award
- UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Program Director Recognition Award
American Academy of Neurology (CNPD) (2013)
- Best Doctors
D Magazine (2012-2019)
American Academy of Neurology (2007)
American Neurological Association (2005)
- Founders Award for Clinical Research
American Academy of Neurology (1998)
- Woltman Award for Clinical Neurology
Mayo Clinic (1998)
- DeBakey Scholar Award
Baylor College of Medicine (1994)
- Rush Record Excellence in Neuroscience Award
Baylor College of Medicine (1992)
- Dysautonomia International (2014)
- Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) Coalition (2013)
- Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America (2007)
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Autonomic Society
- American Neurological Association