Dr. Burner is originally from Fargo, North Dakota. He received both his Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Medicine at the North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND. Following medical school, he completed his Anatomic/Clinical Pathology residency at the University of Missouri-?Kansas City School of Medicine. Following completion of a fellowship in Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine at Cedar-?Sinai Medical Center in 2004, he joined the pathology faculty at UTSW as a member of the division of transfusion medicine and hemostasis. He currently serves as the director of transfusion services for both Parkland hospital and UTSW University Hospitals as well as the medical director of the therapeutic apheresis service at Parkland. In addition he is the program director of the transfusion medicine training program and associate director of the pathology residency training program at UTSW.
- Medical School
- University of North Dakota (1994)
- Truman Medical Center-West (1999), Pathology
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Med (1999), Anatomic & Clinical Pathology
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (2004), Transfusion Medicine Pathology
- Red Cell Genotyping
- Therapeutic Apheresis
- You can't get CMV from a blood transfusion: 2017 Emily Cooley award lecture.
- Goldfinger D, Burner JD Transfusion 2018 Nov
- Plasma exchange for the management of refractory pruritus of cholestasis: A report of three cases and review of literature
- Chkheidze R, Joseph R, Burner J, Matevosyan K. J Clin Aphere 2018 Jun 33 3 412-418
- Potential use of IgG endopeptidase in the management of platelet refractoriness due to HLA alloimmunization.
- Burner JD, Goldfinger D Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2018 May
- Therapeutic plasma exchange for hypertriglyceridemia induced pancreatitis: A rapid and practical approach.
- Gavva C, Sarode R, Agrawal D, Burner J Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2016 Feb
- Thromboembolic Outcomes Following Use of a 4-Factor Prothrombin Complex Concentrate for Vitamin K Antagonist Reversal in a Real-World Setting
- Ranjit Joseph, James Burner, Sean Yates, Amanda Strickland, William Tharpe, and Ravi Sarode Transfusion 2016 56 4 799-807
- The HI-STAR study: resource utilization and costs associated with serologic testing for antibody-positive patients at four United States medical centers.
- Mazonson P, Efrusy M, Santas C, Ziman A, Burner J, Roseff S, Vijayaraghavan A, Kaufman R Transfusion 2014 Feb 54 2 271-7
- Advantages of isovolemic hemodilution-red cell exchange therapy to prevent recurrent stroke in sickle cell anemia patients.
- Sarode R, Matevosyan K, Rogers ZR, Burner JD, Rutherford C Journal of clinical apheresis 2011 Jul 200-7
- Management of Sickle Cell Disease and its Complications
- Navarro, Alexander; Burner, James American Society for Clinical Pathology Check Sample 2011 54 (6) 67-75
- Prospective monitoring of plasma and platelet transfusions in a large teaching hospital results in significant cost reduction.
- Sarode R, Refaai MA, Matevosyan K, Burner JD, Hampton S, Rutherford C Transfusion 2010 Feb 50 2 487-92
- Rinseback during red blood cell exchange with COBE Spectra does not affect fraction of cells remaining or post-exchange hematocrit.
- Bhagat R, Matevosyan K, Jones R, Vetus ML, Burner J, Sarode R J Clin Apher 2010 25 6 347-9
Refractoriness to Platelet Transfusion Therapy. In UpToDate
Dennis Goldfinger & James Burner (2017). Wolters Kluwer Online Press
Honors & Awards
- Vernie A. Stembridge Clinical Pathology Teaching Award
Presented annually by clinical pathology residents to clinical pathology faculty for commitment to excellence in teaching. (2018)
- American Society for Apheresis (2006-2016)
- North Texas Society of Pathology (2005-2015)
- California Blood Bank Society (2003-2018)
- American Association of Blood Banks (1999-2018)
- American Society of Clinical Pathologists (1994-2018)
- College of American Pathology (1994-2018)