David Podeszwa, M.D.
Department Orthopaedic Surgery
Dr. David Podeszwa, an Associate Professor of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, provides pediatric orthopaedeic care at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (TSRHC) along with trauma coverage at Children's Medical Center Dallas. He is also Co-Director of the Center for Excellence in Limb Lengthening and Reconstructive Surgery at TSRHC, where he leads the clinical service for the Center. In additional to lower extremity reconstruction, Dr. Podeszwa has a particular interest and training in pediatric and dolescent hip conditions.
A native of Detroit, Michigan, Dr. Podeszwa attended the Univeristy of Michigan and earned his medical degree at Wayne State University School of Medeicne. Dr. Podeszwa completed on AO/ASIF International Felowship in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Bern, Inselsptil. He then completed his pediatric orthopaedeic fellowship at TSRHC in 2001.
Dr. Podeszwa is an active committee member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America and the Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society. He is Deputy Editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and also participates in the North American ANCHOR study group, which focus on advancing research in the field of hip preservation.
- Medical School
- Wayne State University (1995)
- Wayne State University (2000), Orthopedic Surgery
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital (2001), Pediatric Orthopedics & Scoliosis
- Hip arthritis in the young adult
- Hip dysplasia
- Hip impingement
- Perthe's disease
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- Expanding Pediatric Orthopaedic Trauma Volume at a Pediatric Level I Trauma Hospital
- Chan DS, Poedszwa DA, Brown D, Staff AJ Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2009 29 612-17
- Bioabsorbable vs. Metallic Fixation for Epiphyseal Fractures of the Distal Tibia
- Podeszwa DA, Wilson PL, Holland AR, Copley LAB Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2008 28 859-63
- Lower Limb Deformity Correction: Analysis and Preoperative Planning.
- Nichols LRB, Tucker NJ, Fragomen AT, Podeszwa DA, Liu RW, Instr Course Lect 2022 71 251-270
- Acetabular Coverage May Affect Radiographic and Clinical Outcomes of Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation of Focal Femoral Head Lesions: A Case Series From a Single Institution.
- Mundluru SN, Podeszwa D, Peck J, Sucato D, Johnston C, Kim H, Wilson P, Ellis H, J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev 2021 Oct 5 10
- Combined lengthening for acquired leg length discrepancy: Are there advantages of hydroxyapatite-coated intramedullary nails?
- Popkov A, Pietrzak S, Antonov A, Parol T, Lazovic M, Podeszwa D, Popkov D, Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2021 Oct 103101
- Coronal and Transverse Malalignment in Pediatric Patellofemoral Instability.
- Palmer RC, Podeszwa DA, Wilson PL, Ellis HB, J Clin Med 2021 Jul 10 14
- Limb Lengthening for Congenital Deficiencies Using External Fixation Combined With Flexible Intramedullary Nailing: A Multicenter Study.
- Popkov A, Pietrzak S, Antonov A, Parol T, Lazovic M, Podeszwa D, Popkov D, J Pediatr Orthop 2021 Jul 41 6 e439-e447
- Lower-Extremity Segment-Length Prediction Accuracy of the Sanders Multiplier, Paley Multiplier, and White-Menelaus Formula.
- Birch JG, Makarov MR, Sanders JO, Podeszwa DA, Honcharuk EM, Esparza M, Tran EY, Jo CH, Rodgers JA, J Bone Joint Surg Am 2021 Jun
- The point of epiphyseal penetration affects rotational stability of screw fixation in slipped capital femoral epiphysis: A biomechanical study.
- Morris WZ, Riccio AI, Podeszwa DA, Pierce WA, Standefer KD, Kiapour A, Liu RW, Novais EN, J Orthop Res 2020 Dec 38 12 2634-2639
- The Association of a Angle on Disease Severity in Adolescent Femoroacetabular Impingement.
- Youngman TR, Wagner KJ, Montanez B, Johnson BL, Wilson PL, Morris WZ, Sucato DJ, Podeszwa DA, Ellis HB, J Pediatr Orthop 2020 Nov
Honors & Awards
- Raymond T. Morrisy Clinical Scientific Paper Award
Pediatric Othopaedic Society of North America (2007)
- First Place for Classification Pediatrics Poster Presentation
American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting (2005)
- Richard Lamont Resident Award for Excellence in Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
Wayne State University (2000)
- Resident Research Award
Detroit Academyof Orthopaedic Surgery (1999)
- Student Research Award
American Gastroenterological Association (1991)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Texas Orthopaedic Association