Dr. David Podeszwa, an Associate Professor of orthopaedic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, provides pediatric orthopaedeic care at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (TSRHC) along with trauma coverage at Children's Medical Center Dallas. He is also Co-Director of the Center for Excellence in Limb Lengthening and Reconstructive Surgery at TSRHC, where he leads the clinical service for the Center. In additional to lower extremity reconstruction, Dr. Podeszwa has a particular interest and training in pediatric and dolescent hip conditions.
A native of Detroit, Michigan, Dr. Podeszwa attended the Univeristy of Michigan and earned his medical degree at Wayne State University School of Medeicne. Dr. Podeszwa completed on AO/ASIF International Felowship in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Bern, Inselsptil. He then completed his pediatric orthopaedeic fellowship at TSRHC in 2001.
Dr. Podeszwa is an active committee member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America and the Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society. He is Deputy Editor of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and also participates in the North American ANCHOR study group, which focus on advancing research in the field of hip preservation.
- Medical School
- Wayne State University (1995)
- Wayne State University (2000), Orthopedic Surgery
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital (2001), Pediatric Orthopedics & Scoliosis
- Hip arthritis in the young adult
- Hip dysplasia
- Hip impingement
- Perthe's disease
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis
- Expanding Pediatric Orthopaedic Trauma Volume at a Pediatric Level I Trauma Hospital
- Chan DS, Poedszwa DA, Brown D, Staff AJ Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2009 29 612-17
- Bioabsorbable vs. Metallic Fixation for Epiphyseal Fractures of the Distal Tibia
- Podeszwa DA, Wilson PL, Holland AR, Copley LAB Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2008 28 859-63
- Distal Femoral Valgus and Recurrent Traumatic Patellar Instability: Is an Isolated Varus Producing Distal Femoral Osteotomy a Treatment Option?
- Wilson PL, Black SR, Ellis HB, Podeszwa DA J Pediatr Orthop 2018 Jan
- Development of the HOOSglobal to Assess Patient-Reported Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Hip Preservation Procedures.
- Jacobs CA, Peabody MR, Duncan ST, Muchow RD, Nunley RM, Clohisy JC, Beaule PE, Kim YJ, Millis MB, Podeszwa DA, Schoenecker PL, Sierra RJ, Sink EL, Sucato DJ, Trousdale RT, Zaltz I Am J Sports Med 2018 Jan 363546517749585
- Descriptive Epidemiology of Acetabular Dysplasia: The Academic Network of Conservational Hip Outcomes Research (ANCHOR) Periacetabular Osteotomy.
- Sankar WN, Duncan ST, Baca GR, Beaulé PE, Millis MB, Kim YJ, Peters CL, Podeszwa DA, Schoenecker PL, Sierra RJ, Sink EL, Sucato DJ, Trousdale RT, Zaltz I, Clohisy JC J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2017 Feb 25 2 150-159
- Patient-Reported Outcomes of Periacetabular Osteotomy from the Prospective ANCHOR Cohort Study.
- Clohisy JC, Ackerman J, Baca G, Baty J, Beaulé PE, Kim YJ, Millis MB, Podeszwa DA, Schoenecker PL, Sierra RJ, Sink EL, Sucato DJ, Trousdale RT, Zaltz I J Bone Joint Surg Am 2017 Jan 99 1 33-41
- Soft Tissue Injury Severity is Associated With Neurovascular Injury in Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures.
- Ho CA, Podeszwa DA, Riccio AI, Wimberly RL, Ramo BA J Pediatr Orthop 2016 Sep
- Perioperative Interdisciplinary Intervention Contributes to Improved Outcomes of Adolescents Treated With Hip Preservation Surgery.
- Richard HM, Nguyen DC, Podeszwa DA, De La Rocha A, Sucato DJ J Pediatr Orthop 2016 Jun
- An analysis of the Functional Health of Obese Children and Adolescents Utilizing the PODC Instrument
- Poedeszwa, D.A., Stanko, K.J., Mooney, J.F. et al Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2005 29 140-43
- Ankle Joint Biomechanics Following Transepiphyseal Screw Fixation of the Distal Tibia
- Charlton, Michael, Costello, R, Podeszwa, D et al Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 2005 25 635-640
Honors & Awards
- Raymond T. Morrisy Clinical Scientific Paper Award
Pediatric Othopaedic Society of North America (2007)
- First Place for Classification Pediatrics Poster Presentation
American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting (2005)
- Richard Lamont Resident Award for Excellence in Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery
Wayne State University (2000)
- Resident Research Award
Detroit Academyof Orthopaedic Surgery (1999)
- Student Research Award
American Gastroenterological Association (1991)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Texas Orthopaedic Association