Dr. Rana Said is Director of the Pediatric Neurology Residency Program. She received her M.D. from the University of Jordan, Faculty of Medicine, in Amman, Jordan in 1995. She then completed general pediatric and pediatric neurology training at Tufts University, Floating Hospital for Children in Boston. Upon completion of her child neurology training, she did an Epilepsy Fellowship at Children’s Hospital Boston, Harvard University. She stayed on for an additional year of Epilepsy Research Fellowship. Special interests are in the fields of pediatric epilepsy, infantile spasms, electrical status epilepticus of sleep, cortical malformations, epilepsy surgery, and the ketogenic diet. She also has interests in medical education and recruitment of students into the field of child neurology.
- Medical School
- University of Jordan Faculty of Medicine (1995)
- Al-Basheer Hospital - Ministry of Health (1996), Pediatrics
- Tufts Medical Center (1999), Pediatrics
- Tufts Medical Center (2002), Child Neurology
- The Children's Hospital Medical Center (2004), Epilepsy
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Ketogenic Diet
- Treatment of Refractory Epilepsy
- Type II Cortical Dysplasia in Dominant Frontal Lobe Presenting as Gelastic Epilepsy.
- Dubey D, Thodeson D, Dowling M, Sirsi D, Arnold S, Said R Pediatr. Neurol. 2015 Jul 53 1 97-8
- Predictors of Ketogenic Diet Efficacy in Children Based on the Electroencephalogram (EEG).
- Walker I, Said RR J. Child Neurol. 2014 Nov
- Epilepsy in Angelman syndrome: a questionnaire-based assessment of the natural history and current treatment options.
- Thibert RL, Conant KD, Braun EK, Bruno P, Said RR, Nespeca MP, Thiele EA Epilepsia 2009 Nov 50 11 2369-76
- A negative cranial computed tomographic scan is not adequate to support a diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri.
- Said RR, Rosman NP J. Child Neurol. 2004 Aug 19 8 609-13
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Teacher Award
UT Southwestern MS-2022 Class (2019)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2010-2011) (2013) (2015-2018)
- Program Director Appreciation Award for Child Neurology
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008-2012)
- National EpiFellows Foundation
Recipient of grant to attend NEF course and American Epilepsy Society meeting (2003)
- TOPScholar Epilepsy Foundation
Recipient of grant to attend American Epilepsy Society Meeting (2002)
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Epilepsy Society
- Child Neurology Society