A native Texan, Dr. Agusala earned his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He completed internal medicine residency training at McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University in Chicago. He then received advanced training through a fellowship in cardiology at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta.
Dr. Agusala is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in both internal medicine and cardiovascular disease, with subspecialty certification in echocardiography and nuclear cardiology. He joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2014.
Dr. Agusala was selected to participate in the 2017 Leadership Emerging in Academic Departments (LEAD) program for junior faculty physicians and scientists. The team of UT Southwestern directors, co-directors, and faculty for this highly competitive program includes internationally recognized physicians, researchers, and administrators.
Dr. Agusala’s other professional honors include receiving one of 12 Mayo Cardiovascular Board Review Scholarships in 2013 and earning first place for his research-poster presentation at the 2009 conference of the Northern Illinois American College of Physicians.
Dr. Agusala is a general cardiologist with special expertise in cardiovascular imaging – particularly echocardiography and nuclear cardiology.
A reviewer of cardiovascular imaging cases for Heart, Dr. Agusala is a member of both the American College of Cardiology and the Texas Medical Association.
In 2019, Dr. Agusala was named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor Rising Star.
Dr. Agusala’s interests outside of medicine include his family, sports, and traveling.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2008)
- McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University (2009), Internal Medicine
- McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University (2011), Internal Medicine
- Emory University School of Medicine (2014), Cardiology
- Quality improvement
- Ventricular tachyarrhythmias in patients receiving an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator for primary versus secondary prophylaxis indications.
- Manuchehry A, Agusala K, Montevecchi M, Kadish A, Passman R Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2011 May 34 5 571-6
- Ventricular assist device placement in an adult with D-transposition of the great arteries with prior Mustard operation.
- Agusala K, Bogaev R, Frazier OH, Franklin WJ Congenit Heart Dis 2010 Nov-Dec 5 6 635-7
- Ockham's razor is not so sharp.
- Lewis MA, Agusala K, Raizen Y Infect Dis Rep 2010 Aug 2 2 e10
- Dendritic cells derived in vitro from acute myelogenous leukemia cells stimulate autologous, antileukemic T-cell responses.
- Choudhury BA, Liang JC, Thomas EK, Flores-Romo L, Xie QS, Agusala K, Sutaria S, Sinha I, Champlin RE, Claxton DF Blood 1999 Feb 93 3 780-6
Honors & Awards
- Mayo Cardiovascular Review Course Scholarship
- Northern Illinois ACP Conference 1st Place Research Poster Presentation
- American College of Cardiology (2011)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2014)
- Heart Journal (2014)
- Texas Medical Association (2014)