Roger Bedimo, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
Roger Bedimo, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, and a member of its Division of Infectious Diseases & Geographic Medicine. He serves as Infectious Diseases Section Chief at the VA North Texas Health Care System.
Originally from Cameroon, Dr. Bedimo obtained his medical degree with honors at the University of Yaoundé. After serving as District Chief of Public Health in Cameroon, he moved to the U.S. and earned a master's degree in parasitology at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana. He then completed internal medicine residency training at Wright State University, where he served as Chief Resident. He received advanced training through a fellowship program in infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in infectious diseases, Dr. Bedimo joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2003.
Dr. Bedimo is credited with developing the HIV care and treatment program at the VA North Texas Health Care System. Moreover, with the success of antiretroviral therapies and improved survival of patients infected with HIV, he was a pioneer in promoting the recognition and study of non-HIV complications in this patient population, such as cardiovascular disease and bone mineral loss.
Dr. Bedimo is an active member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Physicians, the Infectious Diseases Society of America, the International AIDS Society, the American Medical Association, the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, and the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
- Graduate School
- Tulane University , Parasitology
- Medical School
- University of Yaounde (1989), Medicine
- Bone Mineral Loss in Patients Infected with HIV
- Cardiovascular Disease in Patients Infected with HIV
- Impact of common skin diseases on children in rural Cote d'Ivoire with leprosy and Buruli ulcer co-endemicity: A mixed methods study.
- Yotsu RR, Comoé CC, Ainyakou GT, Konan N, Akpa A, Yao A, Aké J, Vagamon B, Abbet Abbet R, Bedimo R, Hay R, PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2020 05 14 5 e0008291
- Integrated stepped alcohol treatment for patients with HIV and liver disease: A randomized trial.
- Edelman EJ, Maisto SA, Hansen NB, Cutter CJ, Dziura J, Deng Y, Fiellin LE, O'Connor PG, Bedimo R, Gibert CL, Marconi VC, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Simberkoff MS, Tate JP, Justice AC, Bryant KJ, Fiellin DA, J Subst Abuse Treat 2019 Nov 106 97-106
- Statin use and medically attended acute respiratory illness among influenza vaccine recipients.
- Cutrell JB, Drechsler H, Bedimo R, Alvarez CA, Mansi IA, Vaccine 2019 Sep
- Antiretroviral Activity of AMD11070 (An Orally Administered CXCR4 Entry Inhibitor): Results of NIH/NIAID AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol A5210.
- Johnson VA, Cramer YS, Rosenkranz SL, Becker S, Klingman KL, Kallungal B, Coakley E, Acosta EP, Calandra G, Saag MS, AIDS Res. Hum. Retroviruses 2019 Aug 35 8 691-697
- Comparable viral decay with initial dolutegravir plus lamivudine versus dolutegravir-based triple therapy.
- Gillman J, Janulis P, Gulick R, Wallis CL, Berzins B, Bedimo R, Smith K, Aboud M, Taiwo B, J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 2019 Aug 74 8 2365-2369
- Short-term outcomes for lung cancer resection surgery in HIV infection.
- Sigel KM, Stone K, Wisnivesky JP, Park LS, Kong CY, Silverberg MJ, Brown S, Goetz M, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Gibert C, Shebl F, Bedimo R, Wadia R, King J, Crothers K, AIDS 2019 Jul 33 8 1353-1360
- Microvascular Disease, Peripheral Artery Disease and Amputation.
- Beckman JA, Duncan MS, Damrauer SM, Wells QS, Barnett JV, Wasserman DH, Bedimo RJ, Butt AA, Marconi VC, Sico JJ, Tindle HA, Bonaca MP, Aday AW, Freiberg MS, Circulation 2019 Jul
- Impact of Availability of Telehealth Programs on Documented HIV Viral Suppression: A Cluster-Randomized Program Evaluation in the Veterans Health Administration.
- Ohl ME, Richardson K, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Bedimo R, Marconi V, Morano JP, Jones MP, Vaughan-Sarrazin M, Open Forum Infect Dis 2019 Jun 6 6 ofz206
- Association of Syndemic Unhealthy Alcohol Use, Cigarette Use, and Depression With All-Cause Mortality Among Adults Living With and Without HIV Infection: Veterans Aging Cohort Study.
- Chichetto NE, Kundu S, Freiberg MS, Butt AA, Crystal S, So-Armah KA, Cook RL, Braithwaite RS, Fiellin DA, Khan MR, Bryant KJ, Gaither JR, Barve SS, Crothers K, Bedimo RJ, Warner AL, Tindle HA, Open Forum Infect Dis 2019 Jun 6 6 ofz188
- No Evidence for an Association between Statin Use and Lower Biomarkers of HIV Persistence or Immune Activation/Inflammation During Effective ART.
- Bedimo RJ, Mar H, Bosch RJ, Drechsler H, Cyktor JC, Macatangay BJC, Lalama C, Rinaldo C, Collier A, Godfrey C, Hogg E, Hensel C, Eron JJ, Mcmahon DK, Mellors JW, Tebas P, Gandhi RT, J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2019 Jun
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Educator Award
HIV Medical Association / Infectious Diseases Society of America (2021)
- Researcher of the Year
VA North Texas Health Care System (2015)
Infectious Diseases Society of America (2012)
American College of Physicians (2007)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Ohio Epsilon Chapter (2001)
- Internal Medicine Residency Teacher of the Year
Wright State University (2001)
- Resident of the Year
Miami Valley Hospital of Dayton, Ohio (2001)
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- International AIDS Society - USA
- Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene