Dr. Michael Huo is a professor of orthopedic surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center where he has been on faculty for over 12 years. His practice focuses on total hip and total knee replacement surgeries. In particular, Dr. Huo has extensive experience in revision surgeries for failed hip and knee replacements. In clinical practice since 1990, he completed his orthopedic surgery training at Yale University, following medical school at George Washington University. Post graduate training included a joint replacement surgery fellowship at The Hospital for Special Surgery (Cornell Medical College in New York City). Dr. Huo has served on the faculty at Georgetown University, Yale University, Johns Hopkins University, Baylor College of Medicine, and the University of Kansas.
Dr. Huo works closely with his partner, Dr. Kenneth Estrera, on the Joint Replacement Service at University Hospitals and Clinics. They work in partnership with nurses, therapists, mid-level providers, case managers and patient educators. This concerted effort also includes physicians from other disciplines such as internal medicine, anesthesia, and rehabilitation-physical medicine. This collaboration insures a comprehensive pre-surgery, peri-operative, and post-operative patient selection, preparation, education, and follow-up program.
Drs. Huo and Estrera are using the most contemporary, and clinically safe and efficacious surgical techniques, instruments, implants, pain management protocols, and rehabilitation programs to provide each and all patients the opportunity to have the best outcome following total hip and total knee replacement surgery.
Dr. Huos’ extensive research and teaching experiences include over 120 journal articles, nearly 20 book chapters, numerous lectures and instructional courses both in the United States and Internationally. Drs. Huo and Estrera continue to actively engage in research activities in order to bring the most advanced and the safest clinical practice technologies to their patients at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- Medical School
- George Washington University School of Medicine (1984)
- Yale University School of Medicine (1985), Surgery
- Yale University School of Medicine (1989), Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation
- Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Science (1990), Orthopedics/hip Surgery
- Complications of Hip and Knee Replacements
- Cost Analysis of Hip and Knee Replacements
- Hip and Knee Replacements
Honors & Awards
- Pete Matsen Award
Excellence in Teaching (2008)
- Resident Teaching
Excellence in Teaching (2007)
- American Orthopaedic Association-Zimmer
Resident Research (1994)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
Academic Achievement (1984)
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Association
- Steering Committee Multi-National Clinical Trial - Boehringer-Ingetheim
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons