Originally from Boston, Dr. Collins holds a bachelor’s degree with honors in chemistry from Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts. She earned her medical degree at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. She completed internal medicine residency training at Massachusetts General Hospital. She then completed advanced training through a research fellowship in cardiology at Brigham & Women’s Hospital and a research fellowship in cardiology and vascular surgery at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, where she also completed a clinical fellowship in cardiology.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in echocardiography and cardiovascular disease, Dr. Collins joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2003.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Collins is involved in interviewing and mentoring medical students, residents, and fellows. She has won several teaching awards, including the 2022 L. David Hillis Award for Excellence in Teaching from the cardiology fellowship program.
Dr. Collins' clinical focus is general cardiology. She is also a frequent speaker at regional and national conferences.
Dr. Collins is active in several professional societies, including the Texas Chapter of the American College of Cardiology, where she is a fellow and has served as a legislative liaison, the American Society of Echocardiography, and the American Heart Association, where she serves on its Clinical Cardiology Council.
- Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1987)
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital (1988), Internal Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1990), Internal Medicine
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (1991), Cardiovascular Disease
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (1995), Cardiology
- Coronary disease in women
- Women's health
- Not Ready for Prime Time? Clinical Pitfalls of Echocardiographic Interpretation on Miniaturized Wearable Devices.
- Wosik J, Duong T, Martinez Parachini JR, Resendes E, Rangan BV, Roesle M, Minniefield N, Collins LJ, Grodin J, Abdullah SM, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2016 Jul
- Outcomes after atrioventricular node ablation and biventricular pacing in patients with refractory atrial fibrillation and heart failure: a comparison between non-ischaemic and ischaemic cardiomyopathy.
- Sohinki D, Ho J, Srinivasan N, Collins LJ, Obel OA Europace 2014 Feb
- Ranolazine for the treatment of refractory angina in a veterans population.
- Greene RS, Rangel RM, Edwards KL, Chastain LM, Brouse SD, Alvarez CA, Collins LJ, Brilakis ES, Banerjee S Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2012 Mar-Apr 13 2 141.e1-5
- Mechanical valve dysfunction after percutaneous perimitral leak closure: salvage by percutaneous occluder retrieval.
- Brilakis ES, Collins LJ, Obel O, Banerjee S Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2010 May 75 6 876-81
- Cardioversion of nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. Reduced thromboembolic complications with 4 weeks of precardioversion anticoagulation are related to atrial thrombus resolution.
- Collins LJ, Silverman DI, Douglas PS, Manning WJ Circulation 1995 Jul 92 2 160-3
- Alternative splicing produces a divergent cytoplasmic tail in the human endothelial thromboxane A2 receptor.
- Raychowdhury MK, Yukawa M, Collins LJ, McGrail SH, Kent KC, Ware JA J. Biol. Chem. 1995 Mar 270 12 7011
- Identification of functional PGH2/TxA2 receptors on human endothelial cells.
- Kent KC, Collins LJ, Schwerin FT, Raychowdhury MK, Ware JA Circ. Res. 1993 May 72 5 958-65
- Effect of thrombin inhibition on the dynamics of thrombolysis and on platelet function during thrombolytic therapy.
- Rudd MA, George D, Johnstone MT, Moore RT, Collins L, Rabbani LE, Loscalzo J, Circ Res 1992 Apr 70 4 829-34
- Proton and phosphorus-31 NMR study of the dependence of diadenosine tetraphosphate conformation on metal ions.
- Kolodny NH, Collins LJ J. Biol. Chem. 1986 Nov 261 31 14571-5
Honors & Awards
- L David Hillis Award for Excellence in Teaching
UT Southwestern Cardiology fellowship program (2020)
- Scientist Educator of the Year Award-American Heart Association, Texas Affiliate
- Outstanding Achievement Award-American Heart Association
- American College of Cardiology (1997)
- American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology (1997)
- American Society of Echocardiography (2008)
- Council Member, American Heart Association, Clinical Cardiology (1994)
- Texas Chapter of the American College of Cardiology (1999)