Dr. Patel has served as the elected medical representative at large for the medical executive committee at Children’s Medical Center Dallas. He continues to serve as the GI division lead in electronic medical records as well as serving on hospital-wide committees like the Physician Advisory Committee, the Ambulatory User Group. the Mobile Device working group, and the GI Operations working group.
Dr. Patel participates in the recruitment of pediatric residents and pediatric gastroenterology fellows. He serves as a mentor for the pediatric residency program. He has participated in the recruitment of medical students for the UTSW medical school. Additionally, he has interviewed locally for his alma mater, Emory University.
Dr. Patel is actively involved in community activities, specifically through the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation where he recently served as the North Texas Chapter Board President and continues to serve on the board. He has been chair of the Medical Advisory Board as continues to serve as the medical director for Camp Oasis, a camp for children with IBD. He is also active in charitable organizations within the Indian community, serving on the planning committee for the annual pediatric BAPS health fair.
- Medical School
- Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine (2000)
- Scott and White Memorial Hospital (2001), Pediatrics
- Scott and White Memorial Hospital (2003), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2006), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- At Risk Populations in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Genetics in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Quaity Improvement
- Compositional and Temporal Changes in the Gut Microbiome of Pediatric Ulcerative Colitis Patients Are Linked to Disease Course.
- Schirmer M, Denson L, Vlamakis H, Franzosa EA, Thomas S, Gotman NM, Rufo P, Baker SS, Sauer C, Markowitz J, Pfefferkorn M, Oliva-Hemker M, Rosh J, Otley A, Boyle B, Mack D, Baldassano R, Keljo D, LeLeiko N, Heyman M, Griffiths A, Patel AS, Noe J, Kugathasan S, Walters T, Huttenhower C, Hyams J, Xavier RJ Cell Host Microbe 2018 Oct 24 4 600-610.e4
- The Effect of Early-Life Environmental Exposures on Disease Phenotype and Clinical Course of Crohn's Disease in Children.
- Lindoso L, Mondal K, Venkateswaran S, Somineni HK, Ballengee C, Walters TD, Griffiths A, Noe JD, Crandall W, Snapper S, Rabizadeh S, Rosh JR, LeLeiko N, Guthery S, Mack D, Kellermayer R, Gulati AS, Pfefferkorn MD, Moulton DE, Keljo D, Cohen S, Oliva-Hemker M, Heyman MB, Otley A, Baker SS, Evans JS, Kirschner BS, Patel AS, Ziring D, Stephens MC, Baldassano R, Dubinsky MC, Markowitz J, Denson LA, Hyams J, Kugathasan S, Ananthakrishnan AN Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2018 Sep
- Serologic Reactivity Reflects Clinical Expression of Ulcerative Colitis in Children.
- Spencer EA, Davis SM, Mack DR, Boyle BM, Griffiths AM, LeLeiko NS, Sauer CG, Keljo DJ, Markowitz JF, Baker SS, Rosh JR, Baldassano RN, Oliva-Hemker M, Pfefferkorn MD, Otley AR, Heyman MB, Noe JD, Patel AS, Rufo PA, Alison Marquis M, Walters TD, Collins MH, Kugathasan S, Denson LA, Hyams JS, Dubinsky MC Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2018 May 24 6 1335-1343
- Enhanced Contribution of HLA in Pediatric Onset Ulcerative Colitis.
- Venkateswaran S, Prince J, Cutler DJ, Marigorta UM, Okou DT, Prahalad S, Mack D, Boyle B, Walters T, Griffiths A, Sauer CG, LeLeiko N, Keljo D, Markowitz J, Baker SS, Rosh J, Pfefferkorn M, Heyman MB, Patel A, Otley A, Baldassano R, Noe J, Rufo P, Oliva-Hemker M, Davis S, Zwick ME, Gibson G, Denson LA, Hyams J, Kugathasan S, Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2018 03 24 4 829-838
- Long ncRNA Landscape in the Ileum of Treatment-Naive Early-Onset Crohn Disease.
- Haberman Y, BenShoshan M, Di Segni A, Dexheimer PJ, Braun T, Weiss B, Walters TD, Baldassano RN, Noe JD, Markowitz J, Rosh J, Heyman MB, Griffiths AM, Crandall WV, Mack DR, Baker SS, Kellermayer R, Patel A, Otley A, Steiner SJ, Gulati AS, Guthery SL, LeLeiko N, Moulton D, Kirschner BS, Snapper S, Avivi C, Barshack I, Oliva-Hemker M, Cohen SA, Keljo DJ, Ziring D, Anikster Y, Aronow B, Hyams JS, Kugathasan S, Denson LA, Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2018 01 24 2 346-360
- Hypercoagulation and Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease- A Case Report.
- Ruan W, Shamoun M, Schindel D, Patel AS J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 2017 Dec
- Perceived medication adherence barriers mediating effects between gastrointestinal symptoms and health-related quality of life in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease.
- Varni JW, Shulman RJ, Self MM, Saeed SA, Zacur GM, Patel AS, Nurko S, Neigut DA, Franciosi JP, Saps M, Denham JM, Dark CV, Bendo CB, Pohl JF Qual Life Res 2017 Sep
- Histologic Correlates of Clinical and Endoscopic Severity in Children Newly Diagnosed With Ulcerative Colitis.
- Boyle B, Collins MH, Wang Z, Mack D, Griffiths A, Sauer C, Markowitz J, LeLeiko N, Keljo D, Rosh J, Baker SS, Pfefferkorn M, Heyman M, Patel A, Baldassano R, Noe J, Rufo P, Kugathasan S, Walters T, Denson L, Hyams J Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2017 Aug
- Patient Health Communication Mediating Effects Between Gastrointestinal Symptoms and Gastrointestinal Worry in Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Varni JW, Shulman RJ, Self MM, Saeed SA, Patel AS, Nurko S, Neigut DA, Saps M, Zacur GM, Dark CV, Bendo CB, Pohl JF Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2017 May 23 5 704-711
- Prediction of complicated disease course for children newly diagnosed with Crohn's disease: a multicentre inception cohort study.
- Kugathasan S, Denson LA, Walters TD, Kim MO, Marigorta UM, Schirmer M, Mondal K, Liu C, Griffiths A, Noe JD, Crandall WV, Snapper S, Rabizadeh S, Rosh JR, Shapiro JM, Guthery S, Mack DR, Kellermayer R, Kappelman MD, Steiner S, Moulton DE, Keljo D, Cohen S, Oliva-Hemker M, Heyman MB, Otley AR, Baker SS, Evans JS, Kirschner BS, Patel AS, Ziring D, Trapnell BC, Sylvester FA, Stephens MC, Baldassano RN, Markowitz JF, Cho J, Xavier RJ, Huttenhower C, Aronow BJ, Gibson G, Hyams JS, Dubinsky MC Lancet 2017 Mar
Honors & Awards
- Mentoring Excellence for Developing Leaders
UT Southwestern, Dr. Keith Argenbright (2018)
- Physician of the Year
The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation (2018)
- Top Gastroenterologist
International Association of Healthcare Professionals (IAHCP) (2012)
- Best Pediatric Specialists/Doctors in Dallas
D Magazine (2011-2018)
- NASPGHAN Travel Award
- National Inflammatory Bowel Disease Fellowship Award
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (2006)
- Chief Resident, Pediatrics
Texas A&M HSC (2002-2003)
- Pediatric Resident of the Year
Texas A&M HSC (2001-2002)
- American Board of Pediatrics (2007)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2006)
- Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America (2006)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterologist, Hepatologist and Nutrition (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Texas Medical Association