Dr. Catherine Ikemba's current interests are in prenatal diagnosis, treatment and counseling for children with congenital heart disease. Her team is continuing to develop their fetal heart program, which has been approved by the Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification in Fetal Heart Care since 2009. She spent a fourth year of fellowship training specializing in Perinatal Cardiology and three years of Cardiology Fellowship at Texas Children’s Hospital/Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. Her pediatric residency training was at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, NY, and medical school was at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.
- Undergraduate School
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA (1991), Biochemistry
- Medical School
- University of Southern California (1996)
- Montefiore Medical Center/ Albert Einstein College of Medicine (1999), Pediatrics
- Texas Children's Hospital (2003), Cardiac Advanced Imaging
- Texas Children's Hospital (2003), Pediatric Cardiology
- Prenatal diagnosis of congenital heart disease and the effect of a prenatal diagnosis on parental attachment and anxiety
- Assessment of Progressive Pathophysiology After Early Prenatal Diagnosis of the Ebstein Anomaly or Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia.
- Selamet Tierney ES, McElhinney DB, Freud LR, Tworetzky W, Cuneo BF, Escobar-Diaz MC, Ikemba C, Kalish BT, Komarlu R, Levasseur SM, Puchalski MD, Satou GM, Silverman NH, Moon-Grady AJ Am. J. Cardiol. 2017 Jan 119 1 106-111
- Outcomes and Predictors of Perinatal Mortality in Fetuses with Ebstein Anomaly or Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia in the Current Era: A Multi-Center Study.
- Freud LR, Escobar-Diaz MC, Kalish BT, Komarlu R, Puchalski MD, Jaeggi ET, Szwast AL, Freire G, Levasseur SM, Kavanaugh-McHugh A, Michelfelder EC, Moon-Grady AJ, Donofrio MT, Howley LW, Selamet Tierney ES, Cuneo BF, Morris SA, Pruetz JD, van der Velde ME, Kovalchin JP, Ikemba CM, Vernon MM, Samai C, Satou GM, Gotteiner NL, Phoon CK, Silverman NH, McElhinney DB, Tworetzky W Circulation 2015 Jun
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome secondary to intrauterine rhabdomyoma necessitating single ventricle palliation.
- Mir A, Ikemba CM, Veeram Reddy SR Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2014 Sep 7 3 207-9
- Model of Magnetically Guided Fetal Cardiac Intervention: Potential to Avoid Direct Cardiac Puncture.
- Nugent AW, Kowal RC, Juraszek AL, Ikemba C, Magee K J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2013 Jun
- Device closure of a pseudoaneurysm of the right ventricular outflow tract in an infant with right ventricle- to- pulmonary artery homograft.
- Herbert C, Ikemba C, Nugent A Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2013 May
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in a neonate associated with nemaline myopathy.
- Mir A, Lemler M, Ramaciotti C, Blalock S, Ikemba C Congenit Heart Dis 2012 Jul-Aug 7 4 E37-41
- Right atrial hemangioma in the newborn: Utility of fetal imaging.
- Baird C, Blalock S, Bengur R, Ikemba C Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2012 Jan 5 1 81-4
- Diagnosing a patent foramen ovale in children: is transesophageal echocardiography necessary?
- Hubail Z, Lemler M, Ramaciotti C, Moore J, Ikemba C Stroke 2011 Jan 42 1 98-101
- Intracardiac shunting and stroke in children: a systematic review.
- Dowling MM, Ikemba CM J. Child Neurol. 2011 Jan 26 1 72-82
- Oxygen supplementation is helpful for the echocardiographic detection of anomalous left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery.
- Blanco VM, Blalock SE, Ramaciotti C, Lemler M, Heistein L, Moore J, Ikemba C J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2010 Oct 23 10 1099-102
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists
D Magazine (2018)
- Mom Approved Doctor
North Texas Child Magazine (2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Children's Medical Center (2011-2012)
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Fetal Heart Society