Dr. Phelan attended medical school at the University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center, and graduated AOA in June, 1997. He then undertook a residency in general surgery at LSU-New Orleans Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, Louisiana based out of Charity Hospital. During that time he was a research fellow in the department of physiology investigating the immunologic effects of acute alcohol intoxication and hemorrhagic shock. He was selected to be administrative chief resident during his final year of training. At the completion of his residency in June, 2003 he was accepted into the Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He joined the faculty in Burns/Trauma/Critical Care at UT-Southwestern in 2007, and in 2012 graduated with a Master of Science in Clinical Sciences through the UT Southwestern Clinical-Translational Science Award funded by the NIH’s Clinical Scholars Program. In 2014 he founded the Prognostic Assessment of Life and Limitations After Trauma in the Elderly [PALLiATE] Consortium, for which he continues to serve as Director (www.palliateconsortium.com). His primary research interests are the intersection of geriatric injury and palliative care as well as burn scar reconstruction.
- Medical School
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (1997)
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center - New Orleans (2003), General Surgery
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Surgical Critical Care
- Burn resuscitation strategies
- Geriatric injury
- Laser therapy for burn scar
- mitochondrial dysfunction after burn injury
- palliative care after injury
- Circulation first - the time has come to question the sequencing of care in the ABCs of trauma; an American Association for the Surgery of Trauma multicenter trial.
- Ferrada P, Callcut RA, Skarupa DJ, Duane TM, Garcia A, Inaba K, Khor D, Anto V, Sperry J, Turay D, Nygaard RM, Schreiber MA, Enniss T, McNutt M, Phelan H, Smith K, Moore FO, Tabas I, Dubose J World J Emerg Surg 2018 13 8
- External Validation of a Smartphone App Model to Predict the Need for Massive Transfusion Using Five Different Definitions.
- Hodgman EI, Cripps MW, Mina MJ, Bulger EM, Schreiber MA, Brasel KJ, Cohen MJ, Muskat PC, Myers JG, Alarcon LH, Rahbar MH, Holcomb JB, Cotton BA, Fox EE, Del Junco DJ, Wade CE, Phelan HA J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017 Dec
- Perioperative use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk of anastomotic failure in emergency general surgery.
- Haddad NN, Bruns BR, Enniss TM, Turay D, Sakran JV, Fathalizadeh A, Arnold K, Murry JS, Carrick MM, Hernandez MC, Lauerman MH, Choudhry AJ, Morris DS, Diaz JJ, Phelan HA, Zielinski MD J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2017 Oct 83 4 657-661
- Low-grade blunt hepatic injury and benefits of intensive care unit monitoring.
- Perumean JC, Martinez M, Neal R, Lee J, Olajire-Aro T, Imran JB, Williams BH, Phelan HA Am. J. Surg. 2017 Sep
- Validation of a Geriatric Trauma Prognosis Calculator: A P.A.L.Li.A.T.E. Consortium Study.
- Cook AC, Joseph B, Mohler MJ, Inaba K, Bruns BR, Nakonezny PA, Kerby JD, Brasel KJ, Wolf SE, Cuschieri J, Paulk ME, Rhodes RL, Brakenridge SC, Ekeh AP, Phelan HA J Am Geriatr Soc 2017 Aug
- Do acute-care surgeons follow best practices for breast abscess management? A single-institution analysis of 325 consecutive cases.
- Barron AU, Luk S, Phelan HA, Williams BH J. Surg. Res. 2017 Aug 216 169-171
- Predictors of a histopathologic diagnosis of complicated appendicitis.
- Imran JB, Madni TD, Minshall CT, Mokdad AA, Subramanian M, Clark AT, Phelan HA, Cripps MW J. Surg. Res. 2017 Jun 214 197-202
- The Parkland grading scale for cholecystitis.
- Madni TD, Leshikar DE, Minshall CT, Nakonezny PA, Cornelius CC, Imran JB, Clark AT, Williams BH, Eastman AL, Minei JP, Phelan HA, Cripps MW Am. J. Surg. 2017 Jun
- The Relationship Between Frailty and the Subjective Decision to Conduct a Goals of Care Discussion With Burned Elders.
- Madni TD, Nakonezny PA, Wolf SE, Joseph B, Mohler MJ, Imran JB, Clark A, Arnoldo BA, Phelan HA J Burn Care Res 2017 May
- Analysis of Operating Room Efficiency in a Burn Center.
- Madni TD, Imran JB, Clark A, Arnoldo BA, Phelan HA, Wolf SE J Burn Care Res 2017 May
Honors & Awards
- Best Surgical Paper, Multicenter Validation of a Prognosis Calculator
Annual meeting of the American Geriatric Society (2016)
- Selection as lead paper, "Multicenter validation of the Geriatric Trauma Outcome Score"
Annual meeting of the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (2015)
- Outstanding achievement in student teaching
Department of Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2014)
- Core clerkship teaching award
Department of Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Surgery, UT-Southwestern Medical Center (2010)
- Faculty Teaching Award
Department of Surgery, University of South Alabama Medical Center (2007)
- Outstanding Surgery Resident Award
American College of Surgeons- Louisiana Chapter (2002)
UT-Houston Health Sciences Center Chapter (1996)
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (2015)
- American Geriatrics Society (2015)
- American Burn Association (2014)
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (2007)
- American College of Surgeons- Fellow (2005)
- Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma (2005)
- Parkland Surgical Society (2004)