- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Sci (2017), Public Health
- Dr. Hughes serves as the Head of the Risk and Resilience Network in the UT Southwestern Center for Depression Research and Clinical Care (Director: Madhukar Trivedi, MD). Broadly, Dr. Hughes' research explores the efficacy and effectiveness of psychosocial treatments for building resilience, the prevention and treatment of youth depression, and addressing suicide in youth.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Suicidal Self-Harming Youths: Emotion Regulation, Mechanisms, and Mediators.
- Asarnow JR, Berk M, Bedics J, Adrian M, Gallop R, Cohen J, Korslund K, Hughes J, Avina C, Linehan M, McCauley E, J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2021 Feb
- Predicting future suicidal events in adolescents using the Concise Health Risk Tracking Self-Report (CHRT-SR).
- Mayes TL, Killian M, Rush AJ, Emslie GJ, Carmody T, Kennard BD, Jha MK, King J, Hughes JL, Trivedi MH, J Psychiatr Res 2020 May 126 19-25
- Feasibility and Acceptability of the Youth Aware of Mental Health (YAM) Intervention in US Adolescents.
- Lindow JC, Hughes JL, South C, Gutierrez L, Bannister E, Trivedi MH, Byerly MJ, Arch Suicide Res 2019 Jun 1-30
- Efficacy of Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Adolescents at High Risk for Suicide: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- McCauley E, Berk MS, Asarnow JR, Adrian M, Cohen J, Korslund K, Avina C, Hughes J, Harned M, Gallop R, Linehan MM JAMA Psychiatry 2018 Jun
- Cognitive-Behavioral Family Treatment for Suicide Attempt Prevention: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Asarnow JR, Hughes JL, Babeva KN, Sugar CA J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2017 Jun 56 6 506-514
- Predictors and Outcomes of Psychiatric Hospitalization in Youth Presenting to the Emergency Department with Suicidality.
- Hughes JL, Anderson NL, Wiblin JL, Asarnow JR Suicide Life Threat Behav 2016 Jul
- Psychological Science and Innovative Strategies for Informing Health Care Redesign: A Policy Brief.
- Asarnow JR, Hoagwood KE, Stancin T, Lochman JE, Hughes JL, Miranda JM, Wysocki T, Portwood SG, Piacentini J, Tynan D, Atkins M, Kazak AE J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 2015 Nov-Dec 44 6 923-32
- Developing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Prevent Depressive Relapse in Youth.
- Kennard BD, Stewart SM, Hughes JL, Jarrett RB, Emslie GJ Cogn Behav Pract 2008 Nov 15 4 387-399
- The Youth Aware of Mental Health Intervention: Impact on Help Seeking, Mental Health Knowledge, and Stigma in U.S. Adolescents.
- Lindow JC, Hughes JL, South C, Minhajuddin A, Gutierrez L, Bannister E, Trivedi MH, Byerly MJ, J Adolesc Health 2020 Feb
- The Adolescent Resilience Questionnaire: Validation of a Shortened Version in U.S. Youths.
- Anderson JR, Killian M, Hughes JL, Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Front Psychol 2020 11 606373
Optimizing Family Intervention in the Treatment of Suicidal Youth. In Advancing the Science of Suicidal Behavior: Understanding and Intervention
Diamond, G., Asarnow, J., & Hughes, J.L. (2014). Hauppague, NY, Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Self Harm and Suicidal Behavior. In Treating Adolescents, 2nd Edition
Stemmle, P., & Hughes, J.L. (2015). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley Publishing
CBT For Depression in Children and Adolescents: A Guide to Relapse Prevention
Kennard, B.D., Hughes, J.L., & Foxwell, A.F. (2016). New York, NY, Guilford Press
Pediatric Mood Disorders. In The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Mood Disorders
Emslie, G.J., Mayes, T.M., Kennard, B.D., & Hughes, J.L. (2006). Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Publishing Inc.
Honors & Awards
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Young Investigator Award
"Self Harm and Suicide Attempt Risk: Evaluation of an Intervention for Youths with Self Harm Behavior" (2012-2014)
- Child Intervention, Prevention, and Services (CHIPS) Fellowship, National Institute of Mental Health
- Co-recipient of Carmen Miller Michael Award
UT Southwestern Psychology departmental award given to a student who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship and service (2010)
- Integrated Study Center in Mood Disorders Fellowship, Semel Institute of Neuroscience and Human Behavior at University of California, Los Angeles
- Recipient of UT Southwestern Graduate School Ida M. Green Award
UT Southwestern Graduate School award given to female scientist for outstanding commitment to the well-being of fellow graduates, research excellence, and exceptional community service activities (2009)
- Selected as Level 1 Participant, Summer Research Institute in Suicide Prevention, an NIMH-funded program at the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- Dallas Psychological Association (2015)
- American Association of Suicidology (2014)
- American Psychological Association - Division 53 Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology (2012)
- American Psychological Association (2006)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) (2006)