- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Sci (2017), Public Health
- Dr. Hughes serves as the Head of the Risk and Resilience Network in the UT Southwestern Center for Depression Research and Clinical Care (Director: Madhukar Trivedi, MD). Broadly, Dr. Hughes' research explores the efficacy and effectiveness of psychosocial treatments for building resilience, the prevention and treatment of youth depression, and addressing suicide in youth.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Family Treatment for Suicide Attempt Prevention: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Asarnow JR, Hughes JL, Babeva KN, Sugar CA J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2017 Jun 56 6 506-514
- Predictors and Outcomes of Psychiatric Hospitalization in Youth Presenting to the Emergency Department with Suicidality.
- Hughes JL, Anderson NL, Wiblin JL, Asarnow JR Suicide Life Threat Behav 2016 Jul
- Psychological Science and Innovative Strategies for Informing Health Care Redesign: A Policy Brief.
- Asarnow JR, Hoagwood KE, Stancin T, Lochman JE, Hughes JL, Miranda JM, Wysocki T, Portwood SG, Piacentini J, Tynan D, Atkins M, Kazak AE J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 2015 Nov-Dec 44 6 923-32
- Developing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Prevent Depressive Relapse in Youth.
- Kennard BD, Stewart SM, Hughes JL, Jarrett RB, Emslie GJ Cogn Behav Pract 2008 Nov 15 4 387-399
- The Interpersonal-Psychological Theory of Suicide in Adolescents: A Preliminary Report of Changes Following Treatment.
- King JD, Horton SE, Hughes JL, Eaddy M, Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Stewart SM Suicide Life Threat Behav 2017 Mar
- Emergency Department Screening for Suicide and Mental Health Risk.
- Babeva K, Hughes JL, Asarnow J Curr Psychiatry Rep 2016 Nov 18 11 100
- Preliminary Examination of the Interpersonal Psychological Theory of Suicide in an Adolescent Clinical Sample.
- Horton SE, Hughes JL, King JD, Kennard BD, Westers NJ, Mayes TL, Stewart SM J Abnorm Child Psychol 2015 Dec
- The Validity of the Interpersonal Theory of Suicide in Adolescence: A Review.
- Stewart SM, Eaddy M, Horton SE, Hughes J, Kennard B J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 2015 Apr 1-13
- The SAFETY Program: A Treatment-Development Trial of a Cognitive-Behavioral Family Treatment for Adolescent Suicide Attempters.
- Asarnow JR, Berk M, Hughes JL, Anderson NL J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol 2014 Sep 1-10
- Enhanced Mental Health Interventions in the Emergency Department: Suicide and Suicide Attempt Prevention in the ED.
- Hughes JL, Asarnow JR Clin Pediatr Emerg Med 2013 Mar 14 1 28-34
Optimizing Family Intervention in the Treatment of Suicidal Youth. In Advancing the Science of Suicidal Behavior: Understanding and Intervention
Diamond, G., Asarnow, J., & Hughes, J.L. (2014). Hauppague, NY, Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Self Harm and Suicidal Behavior. In Treating Adolescents, 2nd Edition
Stemmle, P., & Hughes, J.L. (2015). Hoboken, NJ, Wiley Publishing
CBT For Depression in Children and Adolescents: A Guide to Relapse Prevention
Kennard, B.D., Hughes, J.L., & Foxwell, A.F. (2016). New York, NY, Guilford Press
Pediatric Mood Disorders. In The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Mood Disorders
Emslie, G.J., Mayes, T.M., Kennard, B.D., & Hughes, J.L. (2006). Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Publishing Inc.
Honors & Awards
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Young Investigator Award
"Self Harm and Suicide Attempt Risk: Evaluation of an Intervention for Youths with Self Harm Behavior" (2012-2014)
- Child Intervention, Prevention, and Services (CHIPS) Fellowship, National Institute of Mental Health
- Co-recipient of Carmen Miller Michael Award
UT Southwestern Psychology departmental award given to a student who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship and service (2010)
- Integrated Study Center in Mood Disorders Fellowship, Semel Institute of Neuroscience and Human Behavior at University of California, Los Angeles
- Recipient of UT Southwestern Graduate School Ida M. Green Award
UT Southwestern Graduate School award given to female scientist for outstanding commitment to the well-being of fellow graduates, research excellence, and exceptional community service activities (2009)
- Selected as Level 1 Participant, Summer Research Institute in Suicide Prevention, an NIMH-funded program at the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- Dallas Psychological Association (2015)
- American Association of Suicidology (2014)
- American Psychological Association - Division 53 Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology (2012)
- American Psychological Association (2006)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) (2006)