Courtney Karner, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of the Division of Nephrology in the Pak Center for Mineral Metabolism and Clinical Research.
Originally from Lincoln, Nebraska, Dr. Karner holds a bachelor's degree in biology from East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma. He completed his postdoctorate degree in genetics and developmental biology from UT Southwestern. He later completed a postdoctoral fellowship in orthopedic research and cell biology at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.
Dr. Karner joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2020.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Karner is on the Propel Mentorship Program Mentoring Committee.
Dr. Karner's lab at UT Southwestern focuses on deciphering the role and regulation of cellular metabolism during cell fate specification and differentiation in the context of bone development and disease.
Dr. Karner is a member of the Society for Developmental Biology, the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, the Orthopaedic Research Society, and Advances in Mineral Metabolism.
- Amino Acid Transport
- Bone Development and Homeostasis
- Cellular Differentiation
- Cellular Metabolism
- Glutamine Metabolism
- Osteoblast/Bone Formation
- Osteoclast/Bone Resorption
- Proline Metabolism
- WNT Signaling
- Glutathione limits RUNX2 oxidation and degradation to regulate bone formation.
- Hu G, Yu Y, Sharma D, Pruett-Miller SM, Ren Y, Zhang GF, Karner CM, JCI Insight 2023 Jul
- SLC38A2 provides proline to fulfil unique synthetic demands arising during osteoblast differentiation and bone formation.
- Shen L, Yu Y, Zhou Y, Pruett-Miller SM, Zhang GF, Karner CM, Elife 2022 Mar 11
- SLC1A5 provides glutamine and asparagine necessary for bone development in mice.
- Sharma D, Yu Y, Shen L, Zhang GF, Karner CM, Elife 2021 Oct 10
- Biphasic regulation of glutamine consumption by WNT during osteoblast differentiation.
- Shen L, Sharma D, Yu Y, Long F, Karner CM, J Cell Sci 2021 Jan 134 1
- The Amino Acid Sensor Eif2ak4/GCN2 Is Required for Proliferation of Osteoblast Progenitors in Mice.
- Hu G, Yu Y, Tang YJ, Wu C, Long F, Karner CM, J Bone Miner Res 2020 May
- Glutamine Metabolism Regulates Proliferation and Lineage Allocation in Skeletal Stem Cells.
- Yu Y, Newman H, Shen L, Sharma D, Hu G, Mirando AJ, Zhang H, Knudsen E, Zhang GF, Hilton MJ, Karner CM, Cell Metab 2019 04 29 4 966-978.e4
- Increased glutamine catabolism mediates bone anabolism in response to WNT signaling.
- Karner CM, Esen E, Okunade AL, Patterson BW, Long F, J Clin Invest 2015 Feb 125 2 551-62
- Evaluation of Amino Acid Consumption in Cultured Bone Cells and Isolated Bone Shafts.
- Shen L, Karner CM, J Vis Exp 2022 04 182
- Distinct roles of glutamine metabolism in benign and malignant cartilage tumors with IDH mutations.
- Zhang H, Puviindran V, Nadesan P, Ding X, Shen L, Tang YJ, Tsushima H, Yahara Y, Ban GI, Zhang GF, Karner CM, Alman B, J Bone Miner Res 2022 Feb
- Hypertrophic chondrocytes serve as a reservoir for marrow associated skeletal stem and progenitor cells, osteoblasts, and adipocytes during skeletal development.
- Long JT, Leinroth A, Liao Y, Ren Y, Mirando AJ, Nguyen T, Guo W, Sharma D, Rouse D, Wu C, Cheah KSE, Karner CM, Hilton MJ, Elife 2022 Feb 11
Endochondral Ossification. In The Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, 9th Ed.
Karner, CM, Hilton, MJ (2018).
Whole-mount in situ hybridization. In Skeletal Development and Repair: Methods in Molecular Biology
Sharma D, Hilton, MJ, Karner, CM (2021).
Radiolabeled Amino Acid Uptake Assays in Primary Bone Cells and Bone Explants. In Skeletal Development and Repair: Methods in Molecular Biology
Shen, L, Karner, CM (2021).
Honors & Awards
- Joe B. Milam Award
Distinguished Alumnus - East Central University (2017)
- John Haddad Young Investigator Award
Advances in Mineral MEtabolism (AIMM) and American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) (2017)
- Harold M. Frost Young Investigator Award
American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (2016)
- Nominata Award
Best Graduate Thesis - UT Southwestern Medical Center (2010)
- Academic All-American
College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) (2003)
- Advances in Mineral Metabolism (2017)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) (2012)
- Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) (2016)
- Society for Developmental BIology (SDB) (2010)