Dr. Feagins completed her undergraduate studies in engineering at Vanderbilt Univeristy (1997) and her medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston (2001). She then completed her internal medicine residency and gastroenterology fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. During her T-32 funded fellowship, she trained in the Souza-Spechler lab studying molecular mechanisms of carcinogenesis in Barrett's esophagus. Drawn to caring for patients with inflammatory bowel disease, she then completed a CCFA Fellowship in IBD at UCSF prior to joining the faculty at UT Southwestern and the VA North Texas Healthcare System in 2008. Upon joining the VA, she established and continues to direct a subspecialty clinic for our veterans with Crohn’s and colitis. Her primary research interests are inflammatory bowel diseases, complications in colonoscopy, and gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Vanderbilt University (1997), Biomedical Engineering
- Vanderbilt University (1997), Molecular Biology
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2001), Medicine
- Crohn's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Can Smartphones Help Deliver Smarter Care for Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease?
- Kelso M, Feagins LA Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2018 Jun 24 7 1453-1459
- GI Bleeding Risk of DOACs Versus Warfarin: Is Newer Better?
- Feagins LA, Weideman RA Dig. Dis. Sci. 2018 Apr
- Incidence of Colorectal Cancer and Extracolonic Cancers in Veteran Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Mosher CA, Brown GR, Weideman RA, Crook TW, Cipher DJ, Spechler SJ, Feagins LA Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2018 Feb 24 3 617-623
- Factors Associated With Length of Stay in Veterans With Inflammatory Bowel Disease Hospitalized for an Acute Flare.
- Kelso M, Weideman RA, Cipher DJ, Feagins LA Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2017 Dec 24 1 5-11
- Letter: bleeding in cirrhotics receiving coronary stenting and antiplatelet therapy - author's reply.
- Feagins LA Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2017 Oct 46 7 710
- Letter: the treatment of coronary artery disease in cirrhotics needs more thinking-author's reply.
- Feagins LA Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2017 Sep 46 6 639
- Patients with cirrhosis who have coronary artery disease treated with cardiac stents have high rates of gastrointestinal bleeding, but no increased mortality.
- Krill T, Brown G, Weideman RA, Cipher DJ, Spechler SJ, Brilakis E, Feagins LA Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 2017 May
- Incidence of and Predictors for Early Discontinuation of Biological Therapies in Veteran Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
- Feagins LA, Waljee A, Hou JK, Gu P, Kanjo S, Rudrapatna V, Cipher DJ, Govani S, Gaidos J Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2017 May
- Management of anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents during colonoscopy.
- Feagins LA Am. J. Med. 2017 Mar
- A Comparison of the Rate of Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Patients Taking Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants or Warfarin.
- Cangemi DJ, Krill T, Weideman R, Cipher DJ, Spechler SJ, Feagins LA Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Feb
Caring for women with inflammatory bowel disease.. In Gastroenterology Clinics of North America
Feagins LA, Kane SV (2016).
My patient with Crohn?s disease has an ileal abscess. What is the appropriate management and timing of medical and surgical therapies?. In Curbside Consultation in IBD, 2nd Edition
Feagins LA, Kane SV. (2014).
Molecular Biology of Barrett?s Esophagus.. In Barrett?s Esophagus and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma, 2nd edition
Feagins LA and Souza RF (2006).
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the American Gastroenterology Association
- AGA Womens Leadership Conference
- UT Southwestern LEAD Program
- 2007 Gastroenterology Research Group
AGA Fellow Travel Award Recipient (2007)
- 2005 Gastroenterology Research Group
AGA Fellow Travel Award Recipient (2005)
- Nominee, Best Teaching Resident
Into to Clinical Medicine Course (2002)
- American Society for Artificial Internal Organs Fellowship Award
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Texas Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2018)
- American College of Physicians (2012)
- Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America (2007)
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2004)
- American College of Gastroenterology (2003)
- American Gastroenterology Association (2003)
- Gastroenterology Research Group (2003)