Dr. Watson is a Professor in the Department of Surgery at UT Southwestern Medical Center and specializes in advanced laparoscopy techniques. Dr. Watson deploys the surgical robot for correction of gastroesophageal reflux, hernia repair, and other minimally invasive surgical procedures. He sees the robot as an incredible tool to better care for patients in many types of procedures.
Dr. Watson earned his medical degree at Washington University in St. Louis and completed a residency in general surgery at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. He joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 2002 and currently teaches, practices, and does research in minimally invasive surgery.
He is a recognized authority on laparoscopic gastric banding, a bariatric procedure more commonly called the Lap-Band, having co-authored the patient-centered Lap-Band Companion Handbook in addition to many other publications in medical journals.
Dr. Watson is a committee member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES). He is a consultant for the American Board of Surgery Certifying Exam. Dr. Watson is also a member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), and past president of the North Texas Chapter of the ACS. He is an elected member of the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) National Medical Honor Society.
- Medical School
- Washington University School of Medicine (1988)
- Barnes Jewish Hospital (1993), General Surgery
- Graduate School
- University of Texas at Dallas (2010), Health Sector Management
- Laboratory comparisons of laparoscopic techniques of esophagectomy
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Achievement in Resident Teaching
UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004)
- Outstanding Graduate Award
College of Sciences, San Diego State Univ. (1984)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (AOA) (2019)
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Americas Hernia Society (2020)
- North Texas Chapter of the American College of Surgeons (2006)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Southwestern Surgical Congress (2018)