Stuart Ravnik, Ph.D.
Assoc Dean UT Southwestern Graduate School | Associate Dean, UT Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Department Graduate School Dean's Office | Cell Biology
Graduate Programs Genetics, Development and Disease
My research has focused on the control of different aspects of the meiotic cell cycle and control of meiosis in general. We have primarily used mouse spermatogenesis as a model; however, different lines of research have been done using yeast and Drosophila meiosis models. Currently, my interests are in graduate education and training and scientific outreach to undergraduate students and the broader scientific and public community.
At the graduate level, I am involved in promoting scientific excellence and integrity, graduate student recruitment, and student affairs. In the undergraduate realm, my goals are to increase awareness of science as a career opportunity and help prepare undergrads for their graduate school careers.
Concerning science outreach and communication, I am interested in increasing science awareness and aptitude of the public, providing opportunities for science professionals to engage in science outreach and practice good scientific communication, and to provide accurate information on science education and resources to our greater community.
- University of Washington (1985), Biology
- Graduate School
- University of Washington (1991), Structural Biology
- Control of meiosis: initiation and cell division.
- Development of germ cells in the male and female.
- Early embryonic development and gonadogenesis
- Regulation of Meiosis during Mammalian Spermatogenesis: The A-type Cyclins and Their Associated Cyclin-Dependent Kinases Are Differentially Expressed in the Germ Cell Lineage
- Ravnik, S.E. and Wolgemuth D.J. Developmental Biology 1999 207 408-418
- Regulation of Meiosis in Male Germ Cells of the Mouse by Cdk2_, a Cdk2 Splice Variant
- Simons, D.M., Kersten, C.A., and Ravnik, S.E Reproductive Biology 2007 Under review
- How to Recruit Doctoral Science Students
- Porties, T, Lawler, J, Cole, M, and Ravnik, S.E. NAGAP Perspectives Summer 2006 18 32-34
- Distinct Roles for the Mammalian A-type Cyclins during Oogenesis
- Liao Persson, J., Zhang, Q., Wang, X.Y., Ravnik, S.E., Muhlrad, S, and Wolgemuth, D.J. Reproduction Summer 2005 130 411-422
- Graduate School: Tricks, Tips, and Secrets
- Collins, S.N. and Ravnik, S.E. In Chemistry November 2004 Nov/Dec 18-20
- Cyclin A1 mRNA in Testicular Tissue of Fertile and Infertile Patients - A Potential New Molecular Diagnostic Marker
- Schrader, M., M|ller-Tidow, C., Ravnik, S.,M|ller, M., Wolfgang, S., Dietrichs, S., Straub, B., Serve, H., and Miller, K. Human Reproduction 2002 17 2338-2343
Honors & Awards
- Post-Secondary Partner of the Year - Irving Independent School District Career & Technical Education
- Young Andrologist Award
Outstanding Young Scientist in the field of Andrology (1999)
- American Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Public Outreach Committee (2016)
- American Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (2010)
- AAMC GREAT Group
- Texas P-16 Council