Dr. Garrett is an Honors graduate from UT-Austin with a BA in English. After graduation, he worked in the business world for 18 years, arranging financing on large commercial real estate projects. He enjoyed a successful business career and then went to medical school at UT Southwestern. This career change was prompted by a desire to pursue a vocation dedicated to helping others. Dr. Garrett believes his experience in the business world provides him a unique window through which to view psychiatric issues affecting the working professional. Dr. Garrett’s interests in psychiatry include helping others live more successfully through the diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric problems, management of psychiatric medications, psychotherapy, evaluation and treatment of dementia, working with the elderly and their families, and teaching medical students and residents. Dr. Garrett recently completed a two-year course in psychoanalytic psychotherapy, which was sponsored by the Dallas Psychoanalytic Institute, UT Southwestern Medical School, and other local psychotherapy organizations.
- University of Texas-Austin (1976), English
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2000), Medicine
- Geriatric Psychiatry Inpatient Primer for Residents.
- Thomas NA, Van Enkevort E, Garrett RK, Camp MME, Acad Psychiatry 2019 Jun
- Clinical diagnosis and management of Alzheimer's disease.
- Husain MM, Garrett RK Neuroimaging Clin. N. Am. 2005 Nov 15 4 767-77, ix-x
Neuropsychiatric Assessment and Diagnosis. In American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Alzheimer Disease and Other Dementias
Weiner MF, Garrett RK, Bret ME (2009). Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Press, Inc.
- American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry (2015)
- American Psychiatric Association (1998)
- Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians (1998)
- American Medical Association (1997)
- Texas Medical Association (1997)