Dr. Sheehan graduated from University College Dublin, Ireland in 1993. She undertook further training in Pediatrics and Neonatology in Ireland before completing a Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency at the Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, and a Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Dr. Sheehan joined the pediatric faculty at UT Southwestern in 2002, and is currently a Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Vice Chair for Inpatient Services.
Her academic interests include; sepsis, pediatric transport, patient flow and patient safety. Dr. Sheehan has a number of administrative roles as the Chief of Inpatient Services and Physician Advisor at Children’s Medical Center.
- Medical School
- The University of Ireland (1993)
- St. Vincents Hospital - Dublin Ireland (1994), Surgery
- Boston University Medical Center (1994), Internal Medicine
- The Children's Hospital-Dublin, Ireland (1995), Pediatrics
- The National Maternity Hospital-Dublin, Ireland (1995), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation (1999), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital Medical Center (2002), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Hospital administration
- Patient flow
- Improving Reliability to a Care Goal Rounding Template in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- Efune PN, Morse RB, Sheehan M, Malone LM, Robertson TS, Darnell C Pediatric Quality & Safety 2018 3 6 e117
- Inpatient Bronchiolitis Guideline Implementation and Resource Utilization.
- Mittal V, Darnell C, Walsh B, Mehta A, Badawy M, Morse R, Pop R, Tidwell J, Sheehan M, McDermott S, Cannon C, Kahn J Pediatrics 2014 Feb
- Peroxisome proliferator activator receptor-gamma ligands, 15-deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin J2 and ciglitazone, reduce systemic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsis by modulation of signal transduction pathways.
- Zingarelli B, Sheehan M, Hake PW, O'Connor M, Denenberg A, Cook JA J. Immunol. 2003 Dec 171 12 6827-37
- Parthenolide improves systemic hemodynamics and decreases tissue leukosequestration in rats with polymicrobial sepsis.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Zingarelli B Crit. Care Med. 2003 Sep 31 9 2263-70
- Nuclear factor-kappaB as a therapeutic target in critical care medicine.
- Zingarelli B, Sheehan M, Wong HR Crit. Care Med. 2003 Jan 31 1 Suppl S105-11
- Yet another potential role for nitric oxide in the pathophysiology of septic shock.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR Crit. Care Med. 2002 Jun 30 6 1393-4
- Parthenolide, an inhibitor of the nuclear factor-kappaB pathway, ameliorates cardiovascular derangement and outcome in endotoxic shock in rodents.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Malhotra V, O'Connor M, Zingarelli B Mol. Pharmacol. 2002 May 61 5 953-63
- Protective effects of isohelenin, an inhibitor of nuclear factor kappaB, in endotoxic shock in rats.
- Sheehan M, Wong HR, Hake PW, Zingarelli B J. Endotoxin Res. 2002 8 2 99-107
Interfacility Transport. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 4th edition, Schafermeyer R, Tenenbein M, Macias C, Sharieff G, Yamamoto L, eds.
Sheehan M, Huang CJ (2014). McGraw-Hill
Pediatric Prehospital Care; Interfacility Transport. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, Strange G, Ahrens W, Schafermeyer R, Wiebe R, Prendergast H, Dobiesz V, eds.
Huang CJ, Sheehan M (2012). McGraw-Hill
Pre-Hospital Care; Interfacility Transport. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 3rd edition, Strange G, Ahrens W, Schafermeyer R, Wiebe R, eds.
Huang CJ, Sheehan M (2009). McGraw-Hill
Honors & Awards
- President of Medical and Dental Staff, Children's Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
- Specialty award
Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy, Society of Critical Care Medicine (2002)
- Educational scholarship
Society of Critical Care Medicine (2001)
- Air Medical Physician Association (2005)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1996)
- American College of Physician Advisors
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Texas Pediatric Society