Leann Silhan, M.D. is an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She received her medical degree at UT Southwestern Medical School, her initial medical and specialty training at University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland, and then was on faculty at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine where she worked as a specialist in both interstitial lung diseases and lung transplantation. She was very honored to have Johns Hopkins become a center of excellence in interstitial lung diseases, recognized by the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation, during her time there. She currently specializes in interstitial lung diseases including idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, lung disease associated with connective tissue diseases, hypersensitivity pneumonitis as well as rare lung diseases. She emphasizes patient-centered individualized care, and enjoys developing long-lasting relationships with patients and their families. A growing, thriving program in interstitial lung disease clinical care and research and a great city and location brought her back to UT Southwestern. Her interests outside medicine include her family, outdoor activities, art and reading.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2006)
- University of Maryland School of Medicine (2009), Internal Medicine
- Chief Resident
- University of Maryland School of Medicine (2010), Internal Medicine
- University of Maryland School of Medicine (2013), Pulmonary Diseases & Critical Care Medicine
- Connective Tissue Disease-related Interstitial Lung Diseases
- Genetics of ILD
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Lung Transplantation Outcomes in ILD
- A longitudinal cohort study of the anti-synthetase syndrome: increased severity of interstitial lung disease in black patients and patients with anti-PL7 and anti-PL12 autoantibodies.
- Pinal-Fernandez I, Casal-Dominguez M, Huapaya JA, Albayda J, Paik JJ, Johnson C, Silhan L, Christopher-Stine L, Mammen AL, Danoff SK Rheumatology (Oxford) 2017 Jun 56 6 999-1007
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis: Case Report and Review of Literature.
- Galiatsatos P, Melia MT, Silhan LL Open Forum Infect Dis 2016 Apr 3 2 ofw116
- A novel risk score that incorporates recipient and donor variables to predict 1-year mortality in the current era of lung transplantation.
- Grimm JC, Valero V, Magruder JT, Kilic A, Dungan SP, Silhan LL, Shah PD, Kim BS, Merlo CA, Sciortino CM, Shah AS J. Heart Lung Transplant. 2015 Nov 34 11 1449-54
- Lung transplantation in telomerase mutation carriers with pulmonary fibrosis.
- Silhan LL, Shah PD, Chambers DC, Snyder LD, Riise GC, Wagner CL, Hellström-Lindberg E, Orens JB, Mewton JF, Danoff SK, Arcasoy MO, Armanios M Eur. Respir. J. 2014 Jul 44 1 178-87
- Circadian rhythm disruption in severe sepsis: the effect of ambient light on urinary 6-sulfatoxymelatonin secretion.
- Verceles AC, Silhan L, Terrin M, Netzer G, Shanholtz C, Scharf SM Intensive Care Med 2012 May 38 5 804-10
- A blast from the past.
- Silhan L, Reed RM Am. J. Med. 2011 Dec 124 12 1132-5
Lower Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis. In Vascular Emergencies: Expert Management for the Emergency Physician
Silhan L, Reed R (2013). Cambridge University Press
Nonpharmacologic Therapy for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. In Interstitial Lung Disease
Silhan LL, Danoff SK (2018). Philadelphia, PA, Elseiver
Pulmonary Diseases. In National Medical Series - Medicine, 7th Ed.
Silhan L, Todd N (2010). Baltimore, MD, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Teacher of the Year
Johns Hopkins University (2015)
- Fellow Teacher of the Year
University of Maryland Medical Center (2013)
- Fellow Track Symposium Award
American Thoracic Society (2013)
- Fellow Teacher of the Year
University of Maryland Medical Center (2012)
- Gold Pin Award for Excellence of Patient Service & Care
Veteran's Administration (2006)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2013)
- International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (2013-2017)
- American Thoracic Society (2010)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2010-2011)
- American College of Physicians (2007-2010)
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2002-2006)