Kenneth S. Chen, M.D., is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and the Children's Medical Center Research Institute. He is an Attending Physician in the Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children’s Medical Center in Dallas. Dr. Chen received his B.S.E. in biomedical engineering from Johns Hopkins University and M.D. from UT Southwestern. He then completed pediatric residency and pediatric hematology-oncology fellowship at UT Southwestern, where he joined the laboratory of James F. Amatruda.
As a physician-scientist, he divides his time between his research laboratory and Children’s Medical Center in Dallas, where he specializes in the care of children with cancer and blood disorders. His research interests in the laboratory focus on understanding the genetic drivers of childhood cancers, especially Wilms tumor and germ cell tumors, and new strategies for treating them.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2006)
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2007), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2009), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2013), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- DICER1 syndrome
- Wilms tumor
- A large T cell invagination with CD2 enrichment resets receptor engagement in the immunological synapse.
- Singleton K, Parvaze N, Dama KR, Chen KS, Jennings P, Purtic B, Sjaastad MD, Gilpin C, Davis MM, Wülfing C J. Immunol. 2006 Oct 177 7 4402-13
- Human natural killer cells: a unique innate immunoregulatory role for the CD56(bright) subset.
- Cooper MA, Fehniger TA, Turner SC, Chen KS, Ghaheri BA, Ghayur T, Carson WE, Caligiuri MA Blood 2001 May 97 10 3146-51
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Recruitment of First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty
- Texas Super Doctors (Texas Rising Star)
Texas Monthly (2018)
- UTSW Disease-Oriented Clinical Scholar
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation Young Investigator
- Hyundai Hope on Wheels Young Investigator
- Damon Runyon-Sohn Pediatric Cancer Fellow
- W.W. Caruth Scholar
Childrens Medical Center Foundation (2013-2015)
- First Place, Critical Appraisal of Literature
Resident Section Poster Contest, Texas Pediatric Society (2008)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2012)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (2010)
- American Society of Hematology (2010)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology (2010)