Dr. Kapur completed her medical education in 1997 at the University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), New Delhi, India. After completing a pathology residency in 2000 at Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, she was awarded the Dr. RP Mathur Memorial Award for the best outgoing III year pathology resident. Subsequently, she came to Dallas and did a Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002-2006). She is certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Currently she is on faculty in the Department of Pathology and Urology at UT Southwestern and the Group Leader of Genitourinary Pathology and the Co-Leader of the Kidney Cancer Program at Simmons Cancer Center. She is the Pathology representative at the UT Southwestern weekly Urology Spence Conference, and monthly Multidisciplinary Renal Cell Carcinoma Tumor Board.
She is actively involved in Anatomic Pathology residency education and received the Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D. Resident Teaching Award in 2010 and 2011. Dr. Payal Kapur was the former Assistant Director (Anatomic Pathology) of UT Southwestern Pathology Residency Training (2010-2013), the Co-Director of UT Southwestern Tumor Registry Core Facility at Simmons Cancer Institution (2008-2013), the Director of the Philip O’Brien Montgomery Visiting Lectureship (2007-2013), and the Director of the Anatomical Pathology Resident Education Seminar Series (2007-2013). She was also the former Medical Director of Surgical Pathology at Parkland Hospital (2013-2015)
Dr. Kapur’s research is focused on characterizing adult genitourinary tumors and developing prognostic, therapeutic, and diagnostic biomarkers. She has extensive experience in developing immunohistochemistry (IHC) tests, and of greatest relevance to the field of kidney cancer.
- Medical School
- University College of Medical Sciences (1997)
- Maulana Azas Medical College (2000), Pathology
- Parkland Health and Hospital System (2003), Pathology
- Parkland Health and Hospital System (2006), Pathology
- Characterizing Renal tumors
- Developing prognostic and predictive subtype of renal tumors
- Genitourinary Pathology
- Understanding pathogenesis and biology of genitourinary tumors especially renal and prostate tumors
- DAB2IP regulates autophagy in prostate cancer in response to combined treatment of radiation and a DNA-PKcs inhibitor.
- Yu L, Tumati V, Tseng SF, Hsu FM, Kim DN, Hong D, Hsieh JT, Jacobs C, Kapur P, Saha D Neoplasia 2012 Dec 14 12 1203-12
- BAP1 loss defines a new class of renal cell carcinoma.
- Peña-Llopis S, Vega-Rubín-de-Celis S, Liao A, Leng N, Pavía-Jiménez A, Wang S, Yamasaki T, Zhrebker L, Sivanand S, Spence P, Kinch L, Hambuch T, Jain S, Lotan Y, Margulis V, Sagalowsky AI, Summerour PB, Kabbani W, Wong SW, Grishin N, Laurent M, Xie XJ, Haudenschild CD, Ross MT, Bentley DR, Kapur P, Brugarolas J Nat. Genet. 2012 Jul 44 7 751-9
- A validated tumorgraft model reveals activity of dovitinib against renal cell carcinoma.
- Sivanand S, Peña-Llopis S, Zhao H, Kucejova B, Spence P, Pavia-Jimenez A, Yamasaki T, McBride DJ, Gillen J, Wolff NC, Morlock L, Lotan Y, Raj GV, Sagalowsky A, Margulis V, Cadeddu JA, Ross MT, Bentley DR, Kabbani W, Xie XJ, Kapur P, Williams NS, Brugarolas J Sci Transl Med 2012 Jun 4 137 137ra75
- Phosphorylated histone H3, Ki-67, p21, fatty acid synthase, and cleaved caspase-3 expression in benign and atypical granular cell tumors
- Kapur P, Rakheja D, Balani JP, Roy LC, Amirkhan RH, Hoang MP. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2007 131(1): 57-64.
- Congenital self-healing reticulohistiocytosis (Hashimoto-Pritzker disease): 10-year experience at Dallas Children?s Medical Center.
- Kapur P, Erickson C, Rakheja D, Carder KR, Hoang MP. J Am Acad Dermatol 2007 2007; 56(2): 290-294.
- Primary mucinous adenocarcinoma of the thymus: a case report and review of the literature
- Kapur P, Rakheja D, Bastasch M, Molberg KH, Sarode VR Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006 130(2): 201-204.
- Sclerosing lobular hyperplasia of breast: cytomorphologic and histomorphologic features: a case report.
- Kapur P, Rakheja D, Cavuoti DC, Johnson-Welch SF. Cytojournal 2006 3(3): 3
- Fatty acid synthase expression in cutaneous melanocytic lesions
- Kapur P, Rakheja D, Roy LC, Hoang MP. Mod Pathol. 2005 18(8): 1107-1112
- Spitz nevi and atypical Spitz nevi/tumors: a histologic and immunohistochemical analysis.
- Kapur P, Selim MA, Roy LC, Yegappan M, Weinberg AG, Hoang MP. Modern Pathology 2004 18(2): 197-204
- Bridging a gap in oesophageal atresia using Rehbein's technique: dilatation of a thread canal.
- Sigge W, Würtenberger H, Franz A, Albrecht M Z Kinderchir 1986 Feb 41 1 5-9
Honors & Awards
- Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D.
Resident Teaching Award, UT Southwestern (2011)
- Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D.
Resident Teaching Award, UT Southwestern (2010)
- Teaching Award
Pathology Sophomore Curriculum, UT Southwestern (2006)
- Resident’s Case Presentation Award
For the essay entitled "Mosaic variegated aneuploidy: a case report". Society for Pediatric Pathology. (2004)
- Dr. RP Mathur Memorial Award
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University, India (2002)
- Gordon L. Vawter Award
Pathologist-in-training Award for platform presentation entitled "MIB-1 Labeling Index predicts progression free survival in a large group of pediatric pilocytic astrocytomas". Society for Pediatric Pathology. (2002)
- Medical Director of Surgical Pathology (2013-2015)
- Associate Professor, Pathology (2012)
- Associate Professor, Urology (2012)
- Assistant Director of Anatomic Pathology Resident Education (2010-2013)
- Co-Director of UT Southwestern Tissue Resource (UTSTR) (2008-2013)