Dr. Kapur completed her medical education in 1997 at the University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), New Delhi, India. After completing a pathology residency in 2000 at Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, she was awarded the Dr. RP Mathur Memorial Award for the best outgoing III year pathology resident. Subsequently, she came to Dallas and did a Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002-2006). She is certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Currently she is on faculty in the Department of Pathology and Urology at UT Southwestern and the Group Leader of Genitourinary Pathology and the Co-Leader of the Kidney Cancer Program at Simmons Cancer Center. She is the Pathology representative at the UT Southwestern weekly Urology Spence Conference, and monthly Multidisciplinary Renal Cell Carcinoma Tumor Board.
She is actively involved in Anatomic Pathology residency education and received the Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D. Resident Teaching Award in 2010 and 2011. Dr. Payal Kapur was the former Assistant Director (Anatomic Pathology) of UT Southwestern Pathology Residency Training (2010-2013), the Co-Director of UT Southwestern Tumor Registry Core Facility at Simmons Cancer Institution (2008-2013), the Director of the Philip O’Brien Montgomery Visiting Lectureship (2007-2013), and the Director of the Anatomical Pathology Resident Education Seminar Series (2007-2013). She was also the former Medical Director of Surgical Pathology at Parkland Hospital (2013-2015)
Dr. Kapur’s research is focused on characterizing adult genitourinary tumors and developing prognostic, therapeutic, and diagnostic biomarkers. She has extensive experience in developing immunohistochemistry (IHC) tests, and of greatest relevance to the field of kidney cancer.
- Medical School
- University College of Medical Sciences (1997)
- Maulana Azas Medical College (2000), Pathology
- Parkland Health and Hospital System (2003), Pathology
- Parkland Health and Hospital System (2006), Pathology
- Characterizing Renal tumors
- Developing prognostic and predictive subtype of renal tumors
- Genitourinary Pathology
- Understanding pathogenesis and biology of genitourinary tumors especially renal and prostate tumors
- Study of the MIB-1 labeling index as a predictor of tumor progression in pilocytic astrocytomas in children and adolescents.
- Bowers DC, Gargan L, Kapur P, Reisch JS, Mulne AF, Shapiro KN, Elterman RD, Winick NJ, Margraf LR. Journal of Clinical Oncology August 2003 1; 21(15) 2968-73
- Loss of PBRM1 and BAP1 expression is less common in non-clear cell renal cell carcinoma than in clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Ho TH, Kapur P, Joseph RW, Serie DJ, Eckel-Passow JE, Parasramka M, Cheville JC, Wu KJ, Frenkel E, Rakheja D, Stefanius K, Brugarolas J, Parker AS Urol. Oncol. 2015 Jan 33 1 23.e9-23.e14
- Bap1 is essential for kidney function and cooperates with Vhl in renal tumorigenesis.
- Wang SS, Gu YF, Wolff N, Stefanius K, Christie A, Dey A, Hammer RE, Xie XJ, Rakheja D, Pedrosa I, Carroll T, McKay RM, Kapur P, Brugarolas J Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Nov 111 46 16538-43
- Spectrum of diverse genomic alterations define non-clear cell renal carcinoma subtypes.
- Durinck S, Stawiski EW, Pavía-Jiménez A, Modrusan Z, Kapur P, Jaiswal BS, Zhang N, Toffessi-Tcheuyap V, Nguyen TT, Pahuja KB, Chen YJ, Saleem S, Chaudhuri S, Heldens S, Jackson M, Peña-Llopis S, Guillory J, Toy K, Ha C, Harris CJ, Holloman E, Hill HM, Stinson J, Rivers CS, Janakiraman V, Wang W, Kinch LN, Grishin NV, Haverty PM, Chow B, Gehring JS, Reeder J, Pau G, Wu TD, Margulis V, Lotan Y, Sagalowsky A, Pedrosa I, de Sauvage FJ, Brugarolas J, Seshagiri S Nat. Genet. 2014 Nov
- Ablation of the oncogenic transcription factor ERG by deubiquitinase inhibition in prostate cancer.
- Wang S, Kollipara RK, Srivastava N, Li R, Ravindranathan P, Hernandez E, Freeman E, Humphries CG, Kapur P, Lotan Y, Fazli L, Gleave ME, Plymate SR, Raj GV, Hsieh JT, Kittler R Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Mar 111 11 4251-6
- Loss of BAP1 protein expression is an independent marker of poor prognosis in patients with low-risk clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Joseph RW, Kapur P, Serie DJ, Eckel-Passow JE, Parasramka M, Ho T, Cheville JC, Frenkel E, Rakheja D, Brugarolas J, Parker A Cancer 2013 Dec
- BAP1 immunohistochemistry in a multi-institutional cohort predicts outcomes in patients with clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Kapur P, Christie A, Raman JD, Then MT, Nuhn P, Buchner A, Bastian P, Seitz C, Shariat SF, Bensalah K, Rioux-Leclercq N, Xie XJ, Lotan Y, Margulis V, Brugarolas J J. Urol. 2013 Sep
- A gain-of-function mutation in DHT synthesis in castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- Chang KH, Li R, Kuri B, Lotan Y, Roehrborn CG, Liu J, Vessella R, Nelson PS, Kapur P, Guo X, Mirzaei H, Auchus RJ, Sharifi N Cell 2013 Aug 154 5 1074-84
- Effects on survival of BAP1 and PBRM1 mutations in sporadic clear-cell renal-cell carcinoma: a retrospective analysis with independent validation.
- Kapur P, Peña-Llopis S, Christie A, Zhrebker L, Pavía-Jiménez A, Rathmell WK, Xie XJ, Brugarolas J Lancet Oncol. 2013 Feb 14 2 159-67
- Cumulative Number of Altered Biomarkers in Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Pathway Is an Independent Predictor of Outcome in Patients With Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Darwish OM, Kapur P, Youssef RF, Bagrodia A, Belsante M, Alhalabi F, Sagalowsky AI, Lotan Y, Margulis V Urology 2013 Jan
Honors & Awards
- Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D.
Resident Teaching Award, UT Southwestern (2011)
- Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D.
Resident Teaching Award, UT Southwestern (2010)
- Teaching Award
Pathology Sophomore Curriculum, UT Southwestern (2006)
- Resident’s Case Presentation Award
For the essay entitled "Mosaic variegated aneuploidy: a case report". Society for Pediatric Pathology. (2004)
- Dr. RP Mathur Memorial Award
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University, India (2002)
- Gordon L. Vawter Award
Pathologist-in-training Award for platform presentation entitled "MIB-1 Labeling Index predicts progression free survival in a large group of pediatric pilocytic astrocytomas". Society for Pediatric Pathology. (2002)
- Medical Director of Surgical Pathology (2013-2015)
- Associate Professor, Pathology (2012)
- Associate Professor, Urology (2012)
- Assistant Director of Anatomic Pathology Resident Education (2010-2013)
- Co-Director of UT Southwestern Tissue Resource (UTSTR) (2008-2013)