Originally from Albany, New York, Dr. Auerbach holds a bachelor's degree in English from the State University of New York. He also received his medical degree from the State University of New York Upstate Medical and completed internal medicine residency training at the State University of New York. He then completed advanced training through a fellowship in pulmonary diseases at the University of California-Los Angeles.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Dr. Auerbach joined the faculty in 2001. He currently serves as a staff physician in internal medicine at the Dallas VA Medical Center. He is also a PACT Team leader in the Prime Residents' Clinic.
Dr. Auerbach's research interests include infectious diseases and various symptoms associated with the AIDS virus. His investigations have resulted in 8 publications in peer-reviewed journals, as well as a publication in a non-peer-reviewed journal.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Auerbach has been a mentor at Cary College since 2009. He is also a Faculty Adviser for the Students for a National Health Program. He has been invited to give several national and international lectures throughout his career.
- SUNY at Albany (1974), English
- Medical School
- SUNY Upstate Medical Uni (1978), Medicine
- Disease Control
- Quality Improvement
- Veterans' Affairs
- Alternate site testing. Information handling and reporting issues.
- Auerbach DM Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 1995 Oct 119 10 924-5
- Unexplained immunodeficiency in children. A surveillance report.
- Thomas PA, Jaffe HW, Spira TJ, Reiss R, Guerrero IC, Auerbach D, JAMA 1984 Aug 252 5 639-44
- Lack of significant person-to-person spread of swine influenza-like virus following fatal infection in an immunocompromised child.
- Patriarca PA, Kendal AP, Zakowski PC, Cox NJ, Trautman MS, Cherry JD, Auerbach DM, McCusker J, Belliveau RR, Kappus KD Am. J. Epidemiol. 1984 Feb 119 2 152-8
- AIDS transmission via transfusion therapy.
- Deresinski SC, Cooney DP, Auerbach DM, Ammann AD, Luft B, Goldman H Lancet 1984 Jan 1 8368 102
- Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) associated with transfusions.
- Curran JW, Lawrence DN, Jaffe H, Kaplan JE, Zyla LD, Chamberland M, Weinstein R, Lui KJ, Schonberger LB, Spira TJ, N Engl J Med 1984 Jan 310 2 69-75
- Epidemiologic aspects of the current outbreak of Kaposi's sarcoma and opportunistic infections.
- N Engl J Med 1982 Jan 306 4 248-52
- Persistent candidemia following abdominal surgery; Cryptic renal source.
- Schwartz SE, Siegelbaum SP, Auerbach DM, Blair DC N Y State J Med 1980 Apr 80 5 803-5
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- American College of Physicians
- American College of Physicians (1983)
- Co-Chair, Health and Public Policy Committee, Texas Chapter of American College of Physicians (2022)
- Society for General Internal Medicine (2014)
- Texas Chapter of American College of Physicians Board of Directors (2017-2020)