Dr. Luna was born and raised in South Texas and received the entirety of his medical training at UT Southwestern Medical Center. After completion of his internal medicine residency, he stayed on for specialty training in Cardiovascular Diseases and Interventional Cardiology. He brings to UTSW a strong background in antiplatelet drug therapy, complex percutaneous coronary interventions, and care of adults with congenital heart disease. His clinical practice will be patient and family-centered and based mostly in the cardiac catheterization laboratory. Dr. Luna’s interest outside of medicine include his family, reading, and sports.
- Undergraduate School
- University of Texas - Pan American (2001), Biology
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2005)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2011), Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2012), Interventional Cardiology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2013), Pediatric Interventional Cardiology
- Antiplatelet drug therapy
- Congenital heart disease
- Interventional coronary techniques
- Invasive management of resistant hypertension
- ischemic preconditioning
- Use of the CrossBoss catheter for crossing superficial femoral artery chronic total occlusions.
- Luna M, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2012 Jan 13 1 58-61
- Outcomes of small coronary artery stenting with bare-metal stents vs. drug-eluting stents: Results from the NHLBI dynamic registry.
- Parikh SV, Luna M, Selzer F, Marroquin OC, Mulukutla SR, Abbott JD, Holper EM Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2011 Jul
- Transfemoral use of the guideLiner catheter in complex coronary and bypass graft interventions.
- Luna M, Papayannis A, Holper EM, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES Catheterization and cardiovascular interventions : official journal of the Society for Cardiac Angiography & Interventions 2011 Jul
- Closure of a coexisting ostium secundum atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale using a single Amplatzer patent foramen ovale occluder device.
- Luna M, Banerjee S, Brilakis ES Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2010 Jan-Mar 11 1 63-6
Honors & Awards
- JoAnn McWhorter Award
Excellence in Clinical Cardiology (2012)