Dr. Edaire Cheng obtained her BS degree from Rice University (2001) and her MD degree from University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (2005). She completed her residency in pediatric medicine (2008) and her fellowship in pediatric gastroenterology (2011) at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Children’s Medical Center in Dallas.
Dr. Cheng’s clinical interests include eosinophilic esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease. Her research interests include understanding the mechanisms of eosinophilic infiltration and tissue remodeling in the esophagus.
- Medical School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2005)
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2008), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2011), Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Eotaxin-3 expression in eosinophilic esophagitis and GERD
- Therapeutic agents for eosinophilic esophagitis
- Tissue remodeling and fibrosis in eosinophilic esophagitis
- Updated international consensus diagnostic criteria for eosinophilic esophagitis: Proceedings of the AGREE conference.
- Dellon ES, Liacouras CA, Molina-Infante J, Furuta GT, Spergel JM, Zevit N, Spechler SJ, Attwood SE, Straumann A, Aceves SS, Alexander JA, Atkins D, Arva NC, Blanchard C, Bonis PA, Book WM, Capocelli KE, Chehade M, Cheng E, Collins MH, Davis CM, Dias JA, Di Lorenzo C, Dohil R, Dupont C, Falk GW, Ferreira CT, Fox A, Gonsalves NP, Gupta SK, Katzka DA, Kinoshita Y, Menard-Katcher C, Kodroff E, Metz DC, Miehlke S, Muir AB, Mukkada VA, Murch S, Nurko S, Ohtsuka Y, Orel R, Papadopoulou A, Peterson KA, Philpott H, Putnam PE, Richter JE, Rosen R, Rothenberg ME, Schoepfer A, Scott MM, Shah N, Sheikh J, Souza RF, Strobel MJ, Talley NJ, Vaezi MF, Vandenplas Y, Vieira MC, Walker MM, Wechsler JB, Wershil BK, Wen T, Yang GY, Hirano I, Bredenoord AJ Gastroenterology 2018 Jul
- New Developments in Eosinophilic Gastrointestinal Diseases Presented at the CEGIR/TIGERS Symposium at the 2018 AAAAI Meeting.
- Spergel JM, Aceves SS, Kliewer K, Gonsalves N, Chehade M, Wechsler JB, Groetch M, Friedlander J, Dellon ES, Book W, Hirano I, Muir AB, Cianferoni A, Spencer L, Liacouras CA, Cheng E, Kottyan L, Wen T, Platts-Mills T, Rothenberg ME J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2018 May
- Obtaining Adequate Lamina Propria for Subepithelial Fibrosis Evaluation in Pediatric Eosinophilic Esophagitis.
- Wang J, Park JY, Huang R, Souza RF, Spechler SJ, Cheng E Gastrointest. Endosc. 2018 Jan
- Aspirin prevents NF-?B activation and CDX2 expression stimulated by acid and bile salts in oesophageal squamous cells of patients with Barrett's oesophagus.
- Huo X, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Dunbar KB, Pham TH, Lynch JP, Wang DH, Bresalier RS, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2017 Apr
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-2a plays a role in mediating oesophagitis in GORD.
- Huo X, Agoston AT, Dunbar KB, Cipher DJ, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Pham TH, Tambar UK, Bruick RK, Wang DH, Odze RD, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Gut 2016 Sep
- NOD-Like Receptor Protein 3 Inflammasome Priming and Activation in Barrett's Epithelial Cells.
- Nadatani Y, Huo X, Zhang X, Yu C, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Dunbar KB, Theiss A, Pham TH, Wang DH, Watanabe T, Fujiwara Y, Arakawa T, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016 Jul 2 4 439-453
- Eosinophilic esophagitis: current perspectives from diagnosis to management.
- Moawad FJ, Cheng E, Schoepfer A, Al-Haddad S, Bellizzi AM, Dawson H, El-Zimaity H, Guindi M, Penagini R, Safrooneva E, Chehade M Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2016 Jul
- Significance of Paneth Cells in Histologically Unremarkable Rectal Mucosa.
- Pezhouh MK, Cheng E, Weinberg AG, Park JY Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2016 Feb
- JAK-STAT6 Pathway Inhibitors Block Eotaxin-3 Secretion by Epithelial Cells and Fibroblasts from Esophageal Eosinophilia Patients: Promising Agents to Improve Inflammation and Prevent Fibrosis in EoE.
- Cheng E, Zhang X, Wilson KS, Wang DH, Park JY, Huo X, Yu C, Zhang Q, Spechler SJ, Souza RF PLoS ONE 2016 11 6 e0157376
- Mitochondrial STAT3 Contributes to Transformation of Barrett's Epithelial Cells that Express Oncogenic Ras in a p53-Independent Fashion.
- Yu C, Huo X, Agoston AT, Zhang X, Theiss AL, Cheng E, Zhang Q, Zaika A, Pham TH, Wang DH, Lobie PE, Odze RD, Spechler SJ, Souza RF Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol. 2015 Jun ajpgi.00462.2014
Relationship of Eosinophilic Esophagitis To Gastroesophageal Reflux. In Eosinophilic Esophagitis, C. Liacouras, J. Markovitz, eds.
Cheng E, Winter H, Spechler S. (2011). New York, Springer
Honors & Awards
- APFED Outstanding EGID Abstract Award
- Grand and Watkins Abstract Award
- Research Scholar Award
American Gastroenterological Association (2013)
- First Place Award - Research Poster Presentation
Dallas VA Medical Center Research Week (2012)
- NASPGHAN Foundation/AstraZeneca Award
for Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract (2012)
- Distinguished Achievement Award - North American Conference of Gastroenterology Fellows
Abstract and Travel Award (2011)
- Fellowship2Leadership Gastroenterology/Hepatology Fellows' Travel Grant
Travel Award (2010)
- Gastroenterology Research Group Fellows Travel Award
Abstract and Travel Award (2010)
- SWMS Dean's Competitive Scholarship
UT Southwestern Medical School (2002-2004)
- Magna Cum Laude
- Medical Center Woman's Club Scholarship
UT Southwestern Medical School (2001-2002)
- UTSW Alumni Scholarship Program
UT Southwestern (2001-2003)
- American Gastroenterological Association Women's Committee (2015)
- American Gastroenterological Association (2009)
- Gastroenterology Research Group (2009)
- North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (2008)