Dr. Miller graduated with high honors from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. She then completed a General Surgery residency at the University of Cincinnati, including two years of basic science research at the Shriner's Burns Institute, and Board Certification in Surgery. Following two years of clinical research at the USDA/ARS Children's Nutrition Research Center/Baylor College of Medicine, she trained in Pediatric Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital. Dr. Miller joined the faculty of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas as an Instructor at the School of Allied Health Sciences in the Department of Emergency Medicine Education. She is currently an Associate Professor in the EMS/Disaster Medicine/Homeland Security Section of the Division of Emergency Medicine of the Department of Surgery at UTSouthwestern. She serves as an Assistant Medical Director for the UTSW/Dallas area BioTel EMS System, while continuing to teach both initial and continuing paramedic education in Emergency Medicine Education, community outreach in a wide range of topics, and resuscitation medicine. Dr. Miller's special interests in Emergency Medical Services include trauma, pediatrics, resuscitation medicine, protocol development, all-hazards disaster medicine and continuous quality improvement.
- Yale University (1982)
- Medical School
- Baylor University (1986), Medicine
- Disaster Medicine
- Resuscitation Medicine
- Effect of resistant and digestible starch on intestinal absorption of calcium, iron and zinc in infant pigs.
- Morais MB, Feste A, Miller RG, Lifschitz CH Pediatr Res May 1996 39(5) 872-6
- A new stable isotopic tracer technique to assess human neonatal amino acid synthesis.
- Miller RG, Jahoor F, Reeds PJ, Heird WC, Jaksic T J Pediatr Surg September 1995 30(9) 1325-9
- Decreased cysteine and proline synthesis in patrenterally fed, premature infants.
- Miller RG, Jahoor F, Jaksic T J Pediatr Surg July 1995 30(7) 953-7; discussion 957-8
- Fefective nonessential amino acid synthesis in premature infants.
- Miller RG, Jahoor F, Jaksic T Surg Forum 1995 45 677-9
- Proteolytic activity and fatal gram-negative sepsis in burned mice effect of exogenous proteinase inhibition.
- Neely AN, Miller RG, Holder IA Infect Immun June 1994 62(6) 2158-64
- Unchanged pediatric out-of-hospital cardiac arrest incidence and survival rates with regional variation in North America.
- Fink EL, Prince DK, Kaltman JR, Atkins DL, Austin M, Warden C, Hutchison J, Daya M, Goldberg S, Herren H, Tijssen JA, Christenson J, Vaillancourt C, Miller R, Schmicker RH, Callaway CW Resuscitation 2016 Aug
- A randomized controlled trial comparing traditional training in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to self-directed CPR learning in first year medical students: The two-person CPR study.
- Roppolo LP, Heymann R, Pepe P, Wagner J, Commons B, Miller R, Allen E, Horne L, Wainscott MP, Idris AH Resuscitation 2011 Mar 82 3 319-25
- Stable isotopic quantitation of protein metabolism and energy expenditure in neonates on- and post-extracorporeal life support.
- Keshen TH, MIller RG, Jahoor F, Jaksic T J Pediatr Surg July 1997 32(7) 958-62; discussion 962-3
- Does extrcorporeal membrane oxygenation benefit neonates with congenital diaphragmatic hernia? Application of a predictive equation.
- Keshen TH, Gursoy M, Shew DB, Smith EO, Miller RG, Wearden ME, Moise AA, Jaksic T J Pediatr Surg June 1997 32(6) 818-22
- Survival after aberrant right subclavian artery [esophageal fistula: case report and literature review.
- Miller RG, Robie DK, Davis SL, Cooley DA, Klish WJ, Skolkin MD, Kearney DL, Jaksic T J Vasc Surg August 1996 24(2) 271-5
Honors & Awards
- Texas Department of State Health Services, EMS Educator of the Year
- Recipient, 1st Prize, Poster Exhibit, Basic Science Category
74th Annual Meeting, Texas Pediatric Society, Houston , TX (1995)
- Recipient, 3rd Prize, Residents' Competition, Section on Surgery
46th Annual Meeting, American Academy of Pediatrics, Dallas, TX (1994)
- Recipient, 2nd Prize, Basic Science Category, Residents' Competition
35th Annual Meeting, American College of Surgeons, Ohio Chapter (1990)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Recipient, International Association of Firefighters, Burn Foundation Research Grant
"Mechanisms of action of the biologic response modifier, LC-9018, in protection against lethal burn wound sepsis" (0)
- American Heart Association (2010)
- American Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- National Association of EMS Educators
- National Association of EMS Physicians
- Texas Medical Association