Dr. Kumar has a Masters and PhD in Biochemistry. He has completed clinical fellowships in clinical chemistry and molecular diagnostics at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. He had worked in the clinical diagnostic industry for 4 years before moving back to academia. He is a board certified Clinical chemist, and is currently the Medical Director of Clinical Chemistry at the Clements University Hospital, Zale Lipshy University hospital, Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, Moncrief Cancer Institute in Fort Worth, and the UT Southwestern Clinics in Plano and Richardson.
His research interests include validating new diagnostic assays, repurposing big data for clinical research, and finding new applications for existing diagnostic markers. Current ongoing projects in his labs include the assessment of humoral immune response to SARS-CoV-2 vaccines and a collaboration with Johns Hopkins University on the evaluation of clinical implications of LDL under-estimation in Coronary Heart Disease patients.
- Unlisted - International Colle (1988), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Madras University - India (1990), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Madras University - India (1996), Biochemistry
- Repurposing of big data for clinical research
- Validation of new diagnostic assays
- Maintenance of NF-kappaB activation in T-lymphocytes and a naive T-cell population in autoimmune-prone (NZB/NZW)F(1) mice by feeding a food-restricted diet enriched with n-3 fatty acids.
- Jolly CA, Muthukumar A, Reddy Avula CP, Fernandes G Cell. Immunol. 2001 Nov 213 2 122-33
- Life span is prolonged in food-restricted autoimmune-prone (NZB x NZW)F(1) mice fed a diet enriched with (n-3) fatty acids.
- Jolly CA, Muthukumar A, Avula CP, Troyer D, Fernandes G J. Nutr. 2001 Oct 131 10 2753-60
- Effects of calorie restriction on polymicrobial peritonitis induced by cecum ligation and puncture in young C57BL/6 mice.
- Sun D, Muthukumar AR, Lawrence RA, Fernandes G Clin. Diagn. Lab. Immunol. 2001 Sep 8 5 1003-11
- Calorie restriction decreases proinflammatory cytokines and polymeric Ig receptor expression in the submandibular glands of autoimmune prone (NZB x NZW)F1 mice.
- Muthukumar AR, Jolly CA, Zaman K, Fernandes G J. Clin. Immunol. 2000 Sep 20 5 354-61
- Reduced food consumption increases water intake and modulates renal aquaporin-1 and -2 expression in autoimmune prone mice.
- Mittal A, Muthukumar A, Jolly CA, Zaman K, Fernandes G Life Sci. 2000 66 16 1471-9
- Calorie restriction modulates Th-1 and Th-2 cytokine-induced immunoglobulin secretion in young and old C57BL/6 cultured submandibular glands.
- Jolly CA, Fernandez R, Muthukumar AR, Fernandes G Aging (Milano) 1999 Dec 11 6 383-9
- Calorie restriction increases Fas/Fas-ligand expression and apoptosis in murine splenic lymphocytes.
- Reddy Avula CP, Muthukumar A, Fernandes G FEBS Lett. 1999 Sep 458 2 231-5
- Acute hemorrhagic conjunctivitis due to enterovirus 70 in India.
- Maitreyi RS, Dar L, Muthukumar A, Vajpayee M, Xess I, Vajpayee RB, Seth P, Broor S Emerging Infect. Dis. 1999 Mar-Apr 5 2 267-9
- Role of glutathione on renal mitochondrial status in hyperoxaluria.
- Muthukumar A, Selvam R Mol. Cell. Biochem. 1998 Aug 185 1-2 77-84
- Renal injury mediated calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis: role of lipid peroxidation.
- Muthukumar A, Selvam R Ren Fail 1997 May 19 3 401-8
Honors & Awards
- Best Poster Finalist
Systematic Analysis of Biotin Interference in Roche Chemistry Assays. ASCP 2017 Annual Meeeting, Chicago, IL. September 6-8, 2017
- Best Poster Finalist
Are all creatinine results suspect during Dopamine and Debutamine infusions? ASCP 2017 Annual Meeeting, Chicago, IL. September 6-8, 2017
- Distinguished Abstract award
Susceptability of High Sensitivity Cardiac Troponin I and Gen 5 cTnT assays to Biotin interference. 70th AACC Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL. July 29 - August 2, 2018
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (2015)
- American Association of Clinical Chemistry (2005)