Dr. Cindy Darnell-Bowens completed medical school at the University of Louisville Medical School followed by Pediatric Residency at the University of Tennessee at Memphis. She joined UT Southwestern in 2001 as a Pediatric Critical Care Fellow, and at the conclusion of fellowship became Assistant Professor in Pediatric Critical Care. Dr. Bowens’ interests in clinical research lead to her to obtain a Masters in Clinical Science with distinction in 2009. Subsequently, she participated in several clinical research trials focused on furthering the pediatric critical care experience in sedation management. Most recently, Dr. Bowens has used her research experience to facilitate numerous quality initiatives in the PICU.
Dr. Bowens serves as Medical Director of the PICU at Children’s Medical Center Dallas.
- Medical School
- University of Louisville School of Medicine (1998)
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (1999), Pediatrics
- University of Tennessee College of Medicine (2001), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (HR) (2009)
- Pain control
- Comprehensive Analysis of Hypermutation in Human Cancer.
- Campbell BB, Light N, Fabrizio D, Zatzman M, Fuligni F, de Borja R, Davidson S, Edwards M, Elvin JA, Hodel KP, Zahurancik WJ, Suo Z, Lipman T, Wimmer K, Kratz CP, Bowers DC, Laetsch TW, Dunn GP, Johanns TM, Grimmer MR, Smirnov IV, Larouche V, Samuel D, Bronsema A, Osborn M, Stearns D, Raman P, Cole KA, Storm PB, Yalon M, Opocher E, Mason G, Thomas GA, Sabel M, George B, Ziegler DS, Lindhorst S, Issai VM, Constantini S, Toledano H, Elhasid R, Farah R, Dvir R, Dirks P, Huang A, Galati MA, Chung J, Ramaswamy V, Irwin MS, Aronson M, Durno C, Taylor MD, Rechavi G, Maris JM, Bouffet E, Hawkins C, Costello JF, Meyn MS, Pursell ZF, Malkin D, Tabori U, Shlien A Cell 2017 Oct
- Irreversible growth plate fusions in children with medulloblastoma treated with a targeted hedgehog pathway inhibitor.
- Robinson GW, Kaste SC, Chemaitilly W, Bowers DC, Laughton S, Smith A, Gottardo NG, Partap S, Bendel A, Wright KD, Orr BA, Warner WC, Onar-Thomas A, Gajjar A Oncotarget 2017 Sep 8 41 69295-69302
- Targeted MAPK Pathway Inhibitors in Patients With Disseminated Pilocytic Astrocytomas.
- Drobysheva A, Klesse LJ, Bowers DC, Rajaram V, Rakheja D, Timmons CF, Wang J, Koral K, Gargan L, Ramos E, Park JY J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2017 Aug 15 8 978-982
- Coagulation Profile Is Not a Predictor of Acute Cerebrovascular Events in Pediatric Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Patients.
- Anton-Martin P, Journeycake J, Modem V, Golla S, Raman L, Tweed J, Darnell-Bowens C ASAIO J. 2017 Jul
- Reducing Fresh Tracheostomy Decannulations Following Implementation of a Fresh Tracheostomy Guideline.
- Hood K, Lewis B, Bowens CD Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 2017 Jun 29 2 131-141
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Parental Refusal of Consent in a Large, Multisite Pediatric Critical Care Clinical Trial.
- Natale JE, Lebet R, Joseph JG, Ulysse C, Ascenzi J, Wypij D, Curley MAQ J. Pediatr. 2017 May 184 204-208.e1
- Multiple Organ Dysfunction in Children Mechanically Ventilated for Acute Respiratory Failure.
- Weiss SL, Asaro LA, Flori HR, Allen GL, Wypij D, Curley MA Pediatr Crit Care Med 2017 Apr 18 4 319-329
- Morbidity and Mortality Associated With Meningioma After Cranial Radiotherapy: A Report From the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Bowers DC, Moskowitz CS, Chou JF, Mazewski CM, Neglia JP, Armstrong GT, Leisenring WM, Robison LL, Oeffinger KC J. Clin. Oncol. 2017 Mar JCO2016701896
- Accuracy of an Extubation Readiness Test in Predicting Successful Extubation in Children With Acute Respiratory Failure From Lower Respiratory Tract Disease.
- Faustino EV, Gedeit R, Schwarz AJ, Asaro LA, Wypij D, Curley MA Crit. Care Med. 2017 Jan 45 1 94-102
- Dexmedetomidine Use in Critically Ill Children With Acute Respiratory Failure.
- Grant MJ, Schneider JB, Asaro LA, Dodson BL, Hall BA, Simone SL, Cowl AS, Munkwitz MM, Wypij D, Curley MA Pediatr Crit Care Med 2016 Sep
Honors & Awards
- Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar
Association of American Medical Colleges (2014)
- Physician Champion
Southwest Transplant Alliance (2009)
- Departmental Scholar
Clinical Scholars Program, UT Southwestern (2005-2009)
- NIH Clinical Research Loan Repayment Program Recipient
- Pediatric Resident Award
LeBonheur Children's Hospital, University of Tennessee at Memphis (2000)
- Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators, HSCT/Oncology Subgroup (2009-2013)
- National Medical Association (2006-2009)
- American College of Chest Physicians (2002-2011)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (2002)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2001)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1998)
- American Medical Association (1998-2010)