Amit Khera, M.D.
Director, Preventive Cardiology Program
Endowed Title Dallas Heart Ball Chair in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Amit Khera, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center and a member of its Division of Cardiology. He specializes in cardiac risk assessment and risk factor modifications. Dr. Khera is Director of UT Southwestern’s Preventive Cardiology Program. In addition, he is Program Director of the Cardiology Fellowship and holds the Dallas Heart Ball Chair in Hypertension and Heart Disease.
Dr. Khera earned his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine. He completed a residency in internal medicine at Harvard Medical School/Brigham and Women's Hospital and received advanced training through a cardiology fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical School. Dr. Khera also holds a master’s degree in epidemiology from Harvard University.
In addition to his clinical work, he pursues his passion for preventing cardiac disease by conducting extensive research in the subject. He has published over 100 academic articles in the field.
Dr. Khera is President of the American Society for Preventive Cardiology. He is also an active member of other professional organizations, including the Texas Medical Association, the American Heart Association, and the American College of Cardiology.
He has been honored by the American Heart Association for cardiovascular research in women’s health and by the American College of Cardiology for his work in preventive cardiology. He was included in D Magazine's Best Doctors list from 2014-2018 and in 2020-2022, and was also named a Texas Monthly Super Doctor from 2013-2018.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1998)
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (1999), Internal Medicine
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (2001), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Cardiology
- Early detection and risk assessment in cardiovascular disease
- Familial and genetic contributions to coronary artery disease
- Primary and secondary prevention of coronary artery disease
- Evaluation of coronary artery calcium screening strategies focused on risk categories: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Patel MJ, de Lemos JA, McGuire DK, See R, Lindsey JB, Murphy SA, Grundy SM, Khera A Am. Heart J. 2009 Jun 157 6 1001-9
- Relationship between C-reactive protein and subclinical atherosclerosis: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Khera A, de Lemos JA, Peshock RM, Lo HS, Stanek HG, Murphy SA, Wians FH, Grundy SM, McGuire DK Circulation 2006 Jan 113 1 38-43
- Race and gender differences in C-reactive protein levels.
- Khera A, McGuire DK, Murphy SA, Stanek HG, Das SR, Vongpatanasin W, Wians FH, Grundy SM, de Lemos JA J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2005 Aug 46 3 464-9
- Texas atherosclerosis imaging bill: quiet origins, broad implications.
- Khera A Arch. Intern. Med. 2011 Feb 171 4 281-3
- Clinical characteristics, vascular function, and inflammation in women with angina in the absence of coronary atherosclerosis: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Banks K, Puttagunta D, Murphy S, Lo M, McGuire DK, de Lemos JA, Chang AY, Grundy SM, Khera A JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2011 Jan 4 1 65-73
- Sex differences in the relationship between C-reactive protein and body fat.
- Khera A, Vega GL, Das SR, Ayers C, McGuire DK, Grundy SM, de Lemos JA J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009 Sep 94 9 3251-8
- Implications of family history of myocardial infarction in young women.
- Patel MJ, de Lemos JA, Philips B, Murphy SA, Vaeth PC, McGuire DK, Khera A Am. Heart J. 2007 Sep 154 3 454-60
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas
- Texas Super Doctors
- AHA Trudy Bush Award For Cardiovascular Research in Women's Health
- Outstanding Teacher Award
UTSW Class of 2009 (2007)
- Career Development Award in Clinical or Preventive Cardiology
American College of Cardiology/Pfizer (2006)
- Excellence in Teaching Award Nominee
Harvard Medical School (2002)
- Outstanding Student Award Class of 1998
Baylor College of Medicine (1998)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Honor Medical Society (1997)
- American Society for Preventive Cardiology (2010)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association