Dr. Kheraa is a Professor at UT Southwestern, where he is Director of the Preventive Cardiology Program, and holder of the Dallas Heart Ball Chair in Hypertension and Heart Disease. His research interests include the primary and secondary prevention of coronary artery disease, focusing on risk assessment and risk factor modification in those with premature and familial disease.
Dr. Khera received his undergraduate degree in American History from the University of Pennsylvania, with magna cum laude honors. He obtained his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine where he served as class president and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha honor medical society. He completed an Internal Medicine Residency at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, followed by a Cardiology Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, where he did a one-year research fellowship in the Donald W. Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center. He also completed his Master's degree in Epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (1998)
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (1999), Internal Medicine
- Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women's Hospital (2001), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2004), Cardiology
- Early detection and risk assessment in cardiovascular disease
- Familial and genetic contributions to coronary artery disease
- Primary and secondary prevention of coronary artery disease
- Evaluation of coronary artery calcium screening strategies focused on risk categories: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Patel MJ, de Lemos JA, McGuire DK, See R, Lindsey JB, Murphy SA, Grundy SM, Khera A Am. Heart J. 2009 Jun 157 6 1001-9
- Relationship between C-reactive protein and subclinical atherosclerosis: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Khera A, de Lemos JA, Peshock RM, Lo HS, Stanek HG, Murphy SA, Wians FH, Grundy SM, McGuire DK Circulation 2006 Jan 113 1 38-43
- Race and gender differences in C-reactive protein levels.
- Khera A, McGuire DK, Murphy SA, Stanek HG, Das SR, Vongpatanasin W, Wians FH, Grundy SM, de Lemos JA J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2005 Aug 46 3 464-9
- Texas atherosclerosis imaging bill: quiet origins, broad implications.
- Khera A Arch. Intern. Med. 2011 Feb 171 4 281-3
- Clinical characteristics, vascular function, and inflammation in women with angina in the absence of coronary atherosclerosis: the Dallas Heart Study.
- Banks K, Puttagunta D, Murphy S, Lo M, McGuire DK, de Lemos JA, Chang AY, Grundy SM, Khera A JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2011 Jan 4 1 65-73
- Sex differences in the relationship between C-reactive protein and body fat.
- Khera A, Vega GL, Das SR, Ayers C, McGuire DK, Grundy SM, de Lemos JA J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009 Sep 94 9 3251-8
- Implications of family history of myocardial infarction in young women.
- Patel MJ, de Lemos JA, Philips B, Murphy SA, Vaeth PC, McGuire DK, Khera A Am. Heart J. 2007 Sep 154 3 454-60
Honors & Awards
- D Magazine Best Doctors in Dallas
- Texas Super Doctors
- AHA Trudy Bush Award For Cardiovascular Research in Women's Health
- Outstanding Teacher Award
UTSW Class of 2009 (2007)
- Career Development Award in Clinical or Preventive Cardiology
American College of Cardiology/Pfizer (2006)
- Excellence in Teaching Award Nominee
Harvard Medical School (2002)
- Outstanding Student Award Class of 1998
Baylor College of Medicine (1998)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Honor Medical Society (1997)
- American Society for Preventive Cardiology (2010)
- American College of Cardiology
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association