Dr. Gail Peterson is a clinical cardiologist who specializes in echocardiography and valvular heart disease. She graduated from University of Michigan Medical School and completed an Internal Medicine Residency at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, where she also served as Chief Medical Resident. She completed a fellowship in Cardiovascular Medicine at Duke University Medical Center, and served on the faculty of Duke before moving to the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School. She sees patients with a broad range of cardiac problems, but has a particular interest in those with valvular heart disease.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (1991)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1992), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1995), Internal Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine (1998), Cardiology
- Infectious endocarditis
- Role of left ventricular mass in prognosis
- Valvular heart disease
- Comparison of results of percutaneous balloon mitral commissurotomy in patients > 65 years with those in patients ages < 65 years
- Krasuski RA, Warner JJ, Peterson G, Wang A, Harrison JK, Kisslo KB, Bashore TM. Am J Cardiol 2001 88 994-1000
- The risk of stroke and death in patients with aortic and mitral valve endocarditis.
- Cabell CH, Pond KK, Peterson Ge, Durack DT, Corey GR, Anderson DJ, Ryan T, Lukes AS, Sexton DJ Am H Jour 2001 142 75-80
- Transesophageal echocardiography: clinical indications and applications
- Peterson GE, Brickner ME, Reimold SC Circulation 2003 107 2398
- Imaging techniques for diagnosis of infective endocarditis.
- Sachdev M, Peterson GE, Jollis JG. Cardiol Clin 2003 21 1-11
- Changing patient characteristics and the effect on mortality in endocarditis.
- Cabell CH, Jollis, JG, Peterson GE, Corey GR, Anderson DJ, Sexton DJ, Woods CW, Reller B, Ryan T, Fowler VG JR Arch Int Med 2002 162 90-94
- Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in patients with permanent pacemakers or implantable cardioverter defibrillators
- Chamis AL, Peterson GE, Cabell CH, Corey GH, Anderson DJ, Sexton DJ, Woods CW, Reller B, Ryan T, Fowler VG Jr Circulation 2001 104 1029
- Managing clinically insigificant aortic valve disease in patients undergoing CABG.
- Peterson GE, Hochrein J, Harrison JK, Bashore TM ACC Current Journal Review 1997 6 61-64
Honors & Awards
- The Walter F. Floyd Endowed Fellowship in Cardiology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology