Gail Peterson, M.D.
Associate Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency Program
Department Internal Medicine
You have reached the Academic Profile.
For more information on the doctor and patient care, please visit the clinical profile.View Clinical Profile
Gail Peterson, M.D., is a Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center. A clinical cardiologist, she specializes in echocardiography and valvular heart disease.
Dr. Peterson earned her medical degree at the University of Michigan Medical School. She completed a residency in internal medicine at UT Southwestern, serving as Chief Resident, and then received advanced training in cardiology through a fellowship at Duke University Medical Center.
Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in cardiovascular disease, she joined the UT Southwestern faculty in 2001.
At UT Southwestern, Dr. Peterson serves on a number of committees and is Program Director of the Cardiology Fellowship Program and Associate Program Director of the Internal Medicine Residency Program.
She has delivered numerous presentations, published scores of original research articles, and contributed to several books, including Interventional Cardiovascular Medicine: Principles and Practice.
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (1991)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1992), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1995), Internal Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine (1998), Cardiology
- Infectious endocarditis
- Role of left ventricular mass in prognosis
- Valvular heart disease
- Comparison of results of percutaneous balloon mitral commissurotomy in patients > 65 years with those in patients ages < 65 years
- Krasuski RA, Warner JJ, Peterson G, Wang A, Harrison JK, Kisslo KB, Bashore TM. Am J Cardiol 2001 88 994-1000
- The risk of stroke and death in patients with aortic and mitral valve endocarditis.
- Cabell CH, Pond KK, Peterson Ge, Durack DT, Corey GR, Anderson DJ, Ryan T, Lukes AS, Sexton DJ Am H Jour 2001 142 75-80
- Transesophageal echocardiography: clinical indications and applications
- Peterson GE, Brickner ME, Reimold SC Circulation 2003 107 2398
- Imaging techniques for diagnosis of infective endocarditis.
- Sachdev M, Peterson GE, Jollis JG. Cardiol Clin 2003 21 1-11
- Changing patient characteristics and the effect on mortality in endocarditis.
- Cabell CH, Jollis, JG, Peterson GE, Corey GR, Anderson DJ, Sexton DJ, Woods CW, Reller B, Ryan T, Fowler VG JR Arch Int Med 2002 162 90-94
- Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in patients with permanent pacemakers or implantable cardioverter defibrillators
- Chamis AL, Peterson GE, Cabell CH, Corey GH, Anderson DJ, Sexton DJ, Woods CW, Reller B, Ryan T, Fowler VG Jr Circulation 2001 104 1029
- Managing clinically insigificant aortic valve disease in patients undergoing CABG.
- Peterson GE, Hochrein J, Harrison JK, Bashore TM ACC Current Journal Review 1997 6 61-64
Honors & Awards
- The Walter F. Floyd Endowed Fellowship in Cardiology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology