Dr. Balani graduated from Bangalore Medical College, India, did her Pathology (AP/CP) residency and Surgical Pathology fellowship at UT Southwestern and Genitourinary Pathology fellowship at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. She has been a faculty her since 2009. She is board certified in Pathology (Anatomic & Clinical) and Clinical Informatics.
Dr. Balani is the Quality Officer for Department of Pathology, Co-Director of Laboratory Informatics and Associate Medical Director of UTSW Clinical Laboratory Services. She serves on multiple departmental and institutional quality, safety and informatics committees, working collaboratively with folks across departments. She is a member of the College of American pathologists (CAP) Pathology Electronic Reporting (PERT) Committee. Dr. Balani’s clinical interests are in Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Pathology.
- Medical School
- Bangalore Medical College, India (1996)
- Wayne State University (2001), Pathology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2002), Pathology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2005), Pathology
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (2006), Pathology
- Castrate resistant Prostate Cancer
- College of American Pathologists Cancer Protocols: From Optimizing Cancer Patient Care to Facilitating Interoperable Reporting and Downstream Data Use.
- Torous VF, Simpson RW, Balani JP, Baras AS, Berman MA, Birdsong GG, Giannico GA, Paner GP, Pettus JR, Sessions Z, Sirintrapun SJ, Srigley JR, Spencer S, JCO Clin Cancer Inform 2021 Jan 5 47-55
- Exploring the College of American Pathologists Electronic Cancer Checklists.
- Torous VF, Allan RW, Balani J, Baskovich B, Birdsong GG, Dellers E, Dryden M, Edgerton ME, Giannico GA, Heayn M, Jackson CR, Klepeis VE, Olson JE, Pettus JR, Simpson RW, Sirintrapun SJ, Smith DL, Srigley JR, Berman MA, Arch Pathol Lab Med 2020 Nov
- SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Responses Do Not Predict COVID-19 Disease Severity.
- Phipps WS, SoRelle JA, Li QZ, Mahimainathan L, Araj E, Markantonis J, Lacelle C, Balani J, Parikh H, Solow EB, Karp DR, Sarode R, Muthukumar A, Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2020 Jul
- Diagnostic Performance of a Rapid Point of Care Test for SARS-CoV-2 in an Urban ED Setting.
- McDonald S, Courtney DM, Clark AE, Muthukumar A, Lee F, Balani J, Mahimainathan L, Bararia A, Oliver D, Sarode R, Diercks D, Acad Emerg Med 2020 Jun
- Activating BRAF mutation in sclerosing mucoepidermoid carcinoma with eosinophilia of the thyroid gland: two case reports and review of the literature.
- Sukumar JS, Sukumar S, Purohit D, Welch BJ, Balani J, Yan S, Hathiramani SS, J Med Case Rep 2019 Dec 13 1 385
- Susceptibility of Cardiac Troponin Assays to Biotin Interference.
- Frame IJ, Joshi PH, Mwangi C, Gunsolus I, De Lemos JA, Das SR, Sarode R, Balani J, Apple FS, Muthukumar A Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2019 Feb
- Multi-Institutional Evaluation of Upper Urinary Tract Biopsy Using Backloaded Cup Biopsy Forceps, a Nitinol Basket, and Standard Cup Biopsy Forceps.
- Lama DJ, Safiullah S, Patel RM, Lee TK, Balani JP, Zhang L, Okhunov Z, Margulis V, Savage SJ, Uchio E, Landman J Urology 2018 Apr
- Solid pseudopapillary neoplasm collides with a well-differentiated pancreatic endocrine neoplasm in an adult man: case report and review of histogenesis.
- Yan SX, Adair CF, Balani J, Mansour JC, Gokaslan ST Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2015 Feb 143 2 283-7
- Whole genome SNP arrays as a potential diagnostic tool for the detection of characteristic chromosomal aberrations in renal epithelial tumors.
- Monzon FA, Hagenkord JM, Lyons-Weiler MA, Balani JP, Parwani AV, Sciulli CM, Li J, Chandran UR, Bastacky SI, Dhir R Mod. Pathol. 2008 May 21 5 599-608
- Primitive neuroectodermal tumor arising in a testicular teratoma with retroperitoneal metastasis: report of an interesting case with review of literature.
- Mohanty SK, Balani JP, Parwani AV Urology 2007 Oct 70 4 812.e7-10
- Associate Professor, Pathology (2016)
- Associate Medical Director, Clinical Laboratory Services (2015)
- Director Lab informatics (2012)
- Quality Officer, Department of Pathology (2012)