Michael Rubin, MD, MA is a critical care neurologist and clinical ethicist. After completition of his critical care training at Washington University in St Louis, he completed a masters in bioethics and health policy from Loyola Chicago. He directs the Quality and Safety Conference of the department of Neurolgy, chairs the UT Southwestern Clinical Ethics Committee, and is a national leader in clinical neuroethics, including lead auhtorship on ethics positon statements for the American Academy of Neurology.
- Medical School
- Texas Tech Health Sciences Center School of Medicine (2004)
- John Peter Smith Hospital (2005), Transitional Year
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (2008), Neurology
- Washington University School of Medicine (2010), Neurocritical Care
- Graduate School
- Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (2012), Bioethics
- Clinical Neuroethics; brain death, coma, prognosis and decision-making
- Medically Ineffective and Potentially Inappropriate Treatments
- Quality and Safety and the Professional Experience
- AAN position statement: The COVID-19 pandemic and the ethical duties of the neurologist.
- Rubin MA, Bonnie RJ, Epstein L, Hemphill C, Kirschen M, Lewis A, Suarez JI, Neurology 2020 May
- Palliative Care in the Neuro-ICU: Perceptions, Practice Patterns, and Preferences of Neurointensivists.
- Bar B, Creutzfeldt CJ, Rubin MA, Neurocrit Care 2019 Aug
- Brain death, the determination of brain death, and member guidance for brain death accommodation requests: AAN position statement.
- Russell JA, Epstein LG, Greer DM, Kirschen M, Rubin MA, Lewis A Neurology 2019 Jan
- Racial differences in withdrawal of mechanical ventilation do not alter mortality in neurologically injured patients.
- Rubin MA, Dhar R, Diringer MN J Crit Care 2014 Feb 29 1 49-53
- Prediction of potential for organ donation after cardiac death in patients in neurocritical state: a prospective observational study.
- Rabinstein AA, Yee AH, Mandrekar J, Fugate JE, de Groot YJ, Kompanje EJ, Shutter LA, Freeman WD, Rubin MA, Wijdicks EF Lancet Neurol 2012 May 11 5 414-9
- Determination of Death by Neurologic Criteria in the United States: The Case for Revising the Uniform Determination of Death Act.
- Lewis A, Bonnie RJ, Pope T, Epstein LG, Greer DM, Kirschen MP, Rubin M, Russell JA, J Law Med Ethics 2019 Dec 47 4_suppl 9-24
- An interdisciplinary response to contemporary concerns about brain death determination.
- Lewis A, Bernat JL, Blosser S, Bonnie RJ, Epstein LG, Hutchins J, Kirschen MP, Rubin M, Russell JA, Sattin JA, Wijdicks EFM, Greer DM Neurology 2018 Feb 90 9 423-426
- Transfusion of Blood Products in the Neurocritical Care Unit: An Exploration of Rationing and Futility.
- Malaiyandi DP, Henderson GV, Rubin MA Neurocrit Care 2017 Dec
- What to Do When There Aren't Enough Beds in the PICU.
- Rubin MA, Truog RD AMA J Ethics 2017 Feb 19 2 157-163
- The Patient and Family Perioperative Experience During Transfer of Care: A Qualitative Inquiry.
- Stutzman SE, Olson DM, Greilich PE, Abdulkadir K, Rubin MA AORN J 2017 Feb 105 2 193-202