Dawei Bu, M.D.
Department Internal Medicine
Dr. Bu came to the US from China. He received his M.D. degree from China Medical University in 1990 and then his M.S. degree in 1998. He went on to received his Ph.D and then worked as an Assistant Professor at the China Medical University as well. In 2001, he came to the US seeking to obtain new knowledge in the medical field and joined UT Southwestern Medical Center as a postdoctoral research fellow. Working in the lab of Dr. David Euhus in the Department of Surgery, his research was focused on breast cancer and its prevention. In 2005, he became an Instructor and continued to work in the lab for the next 8 years. In 2014 Dr. Bu transferred to the laboratory of Dr. Philipp Scherer in the Touchstone Diabetes Center, Department of Internal Medicine where he continues to focus on investigating breast cancer.
- Medical School
- China Medical University - Chi
- Breast Cancer
- Identification of breast cancer DNA methylation markers optimized for fine-needle aspiration samples.
- Bu D, Lewis CM, Sarode V, Chen M, Ma X, Lazorwitz AM, Rao R, Leitch M, Moldrem A, Andrews V, Gazdar A, Euhus D Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Dec 22 12 2212-21
- The clinical consequences of hemizygosity across 2 MB of 10q23 are restricted to Cowden syndrome.
- Lewis CM, Bu D, Sarode V, Robinson L, Wilson KS, Viscusi RK, Eng C, Euhus DM Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2012 Dec 136 3 911-8
- Tamoxifen Downregulates Ets-oncogene Family Members ETV4 and ETV5 in Benign Breast Tissue: Implications for Durable Risk Reduction.
- Euhus DM, Bu D, Xie XJ, Sarode V, Ashfaq R, Hunt KK, Xia W, O'Shaughnessy JA, Grant M, Arun BK, Dooley W, Miller A, Flockhart DA, Lewis C Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.) 2011 Jul
- DNA methylation in benign breast epithelium in relation to age and breast cancer risk.
- Euhus DM, Bu D, Milchgrub S, Xie XJ, Bian A, Leitch AM, Lewis CM Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2008 May 17 5 1051-9
- Atypia and DNA methylation in nipple duct lavage in relation to predicted breast cancer risk.
- Euhus DM, Bu D, Ashfaq R, Xie XJ, Bian A, Leitch AM, Lewis CM Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Sep 16 9 1812-21
- An intronic polymorphism associated with increased XRCC1 expression, reduced apoptosis and familial breast cancer.
- Bu D, Tomlinson G, Lewis CM, Zhang C, Kildebeck E, Euhus DM Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2006 Oct 99 3 257-65
- Telomerase immortalization of human mammary epithelial cells derived from a BRCA2 mutation carrier.
- Lewis CM, Herbert BS, Bu D, Halloway S, Beck A, Shadeo A, Zhang C, Ashfaq R, Shay JW, Euhus DM Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2006 Sep 99 1 103-15
- A comparison of five methods for extracting DNA from paucicellular clinical samples.
- Cler L, Bu D, Lewis C, Euhus D Mol. Cell. Probes 2006 Jun-Aug 20 3-4 191-6
- Promoter hypermethylation in benign breast epithelium in relation to predicted breast cancer risk.
- Lewis CM, Cler LR, Bu DW, Zöchbauer-Müller S, Milchgrub S, Naftalis EZ, Leitch AM, Minna JD, Euhus DM Clin. Cancer Res. 2005 Jan 11 1 166-72
- A variant of DNA polymerase beta is not cancer specific.
- Bu D, Cler LR, Lewis CM, Euhus DM J Invest Surg 2004 Nov-Dec 17 6 327-31
Honors & Awards
- Research Award
Society for Science and Technology, Liaoning, China (1995)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2002-2010)